THR August26hippie Recovery Thread

August26hippie

Country
United States United States
Hello! I just came upon bonesmart.org and am so happy to be here! I am 3 weeks post op from an anterior hip replacement. I am a 54 y/o female and my surgery date was August 26, 2021. I feel I am recovering well. I am walking with a cane now, except for nightly trips to the bathroom, I will still use my walker. My pain usually stays somewhere around 0-1, and hasn't gone over a 3 for a week now. I still ice my hip as a form of pain management and am taking Tylenol. I get tired quickly and have a weird problem with burping all the time!! I look forward to chatting with you all!

Can't help you with the burping, but it's better the attic that the basement. I kept my walker near the bed for a while just in case, made it easier to get to the bathroom and less risky while half asleep. Ice is you friend and should be for a while, it feels so good.

Can't help you with the burping, but it's better the attic that the basement. I kept my walker near the bed for a while just in case, made it easier to get to the bathroom and less risky while half asleep. Ice is you friend and should be for a while, it feels so good.

Totally agree with the attic vs the basement ☺️. Thank you for your thoughts!

@August26hippie,
:welome: to BoneSmart!
Sounds like you are doing well, with all the usual ups and downs of hip replacement surgery.

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hello :wave:Welcome to BoneSmart and recovery! Thanks for joining us and congrats on your new hip. If you’ll please leave below which hip you had replaced, we‘ll add that bit of info along with the surgery date you provided to create a signature for you. This information will be helpful for those reading your thread, or stopping by to comment.

It seems you’re doing really well! I hope you’ll continue to share your healing journey with us so we can support and encourage you along the way.

A great weekend to you!
@August26hippie

Here is a link to the BoneSmart Library with many more articles that may be of interest to you - https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/library-index.78/

Thanks for the wonderful welcome! I had the anterior approach hip replacement on my left hip on August 26, 2021.
I look forward to browsing through the library!

Welcome to three weeks post-op!
I had direct anterior approach left THR on 8/25. Like you, still using the walker at night for those sleepy-eyed bathrooms trips, but nothing daytime in our small apartment. Forearm crutches outdoors while I work on my gait, but I'm hoping to switch to the cane this week. My pain level squares with yours, but I stopped Tylenol on Day 4. Was just looking through my hospital notes today and they advised to continue for at least a week. Oh, well.
No burping. Sore thigh and my proprioception is still adjusting. Sleeping better.
All best to you on your recovery.

So I wasn't really sure where to post this topic. I see there is a thread for post op blues but I want to make sure I am staying in my lane as far only commenting in my own thread.
Anyway, I am 3 weeks and 2 days post op from a THR. I have noticed my anxiety has been rearing it's ugly head over the past few days. I have a history of depression and anxiety and it is well controlled with medication. I am using my "tool kit" of anxiety busters but am still struggling. What are some of your strategies?

Post Op Blues Thread for THR Feel free to post here.

Things that helped me during my TKR recovery.
Relaxation breathing
Adequate Pain control
Reading the forum and finding others with similar challenges
Calling a friend
Getting out of the house if possible
Watching comedy on TV

When posting in a thread other than yours, writing supportive posts for that member, sharing how you handled a similar situation, avoid derailing another members thread by posting off topic.
Thank you,
Chris

Hello, August26hippie,
I’m sorry you’re dealing with anxiety and some low moods. It seems to happen to many around this time, you’re feeling better, but not great enough to fully jump back into life.

I agree with, Chris, about getting out of the house. When I was around three weeks post op, I was feeling a bit down and a recovery buddy of mine asked if I’d been out to smell the roses, which I really hadn’t. It does seem to make a difference to get out for a car ride and play some of your favorite music, or go out for a meal with a friend / family member, or consider inviting someone over for coffee and dessert. The busier you can stay, the better, reminding yourself frequently that it will pass, and it will.

Some ideas - Crossword puzzle books, adult coloring books. Plan out a future vacation, or weekend getaway, start a Pinterest board, peruse home decor ideas on Houzz, start a recipe collection, play online games, watch Netflix, or movies on the Hallmark Channel etc. Phone calls are also a pick me up and a way to help fill the day. Nothing like the support of a friend or loved one when we’re feeling lonely or isolated. Check out the Social Room here also, if you haven't yet. That can provide hours of entertainment through games and threads to read. Social Room

Sending a hug :console2:and wishing you a peaceful relaxing weekend!
@August26hippie

I second that getting out of the house suggestion. There's something about a change of scene that can be so therapeutic.
You really won't always feel like this. One day you'll feel much better.
I'm sure a good night's sleep will help too. Those first few weeks struggling to sleep on your back and having too much time to think really don't help.
Good luck

I totally understand ! It hit me around the 3 week mark, it’s totally overwhelming. I actually find having a good cry helps ! But there is no denying that these surgeries do affect our mental state. They are big big operations.
It is a big deal and you have gone through a lot so allow yourself to just feel those uncomfortable feelings and they will subside , go gentle on your mind and body.
Probably best to stay away from alcohol and caffeine as they can make matters worse!
Tell your GP that you are struggling, they are there to help you.
I think that before and after surgery our bodies have a lot of adrenaline in our system and when our brains tell us we don’t need all that adrenaline any more we don’t produce it and then we can feel very low and fearful.
I think what you are going through is normal so try not to worry.

@August26hippie
Spot on. I just returned from a walk outside —a walk I had to DRAG myself outside to take. It helped, and so did running into a neighbor and chatting for a bit.
3 weeks and 3 days post-op for me. Anxiety, yes, and a host of fears about seemingly everything. This just started. I decided to buy a car as a birthday gift to myself, and now I find I'm fearful of driving.
All my usual depression coping strategies are helping a bit: shower, clean clothes, getting outside, chatting with a friend, plenty of water, meditation/breathwork, yoga (Tree and Mountain poses, especially).
I find that using the time that I ice after a walk to do breath work really helps alleviate my anxiety. It doesn't last, but it's endlessly repeatable.
I hope you feel better soon.

It has been I while since I posted. Tomorrow I will be 6 weeks post op. I have definitely come so far but am always having to keep myself in check. I went back to work last week. I am fortunate to have a job where I spend most my time on the phone and computer and also work from home. But even still, it kicks me in the butt! Lol. I could not imagine if I had commute to an office. I am not sure I could do it. I have graduated to just a cane and got rid of the elevated commode, but still use the shower chair. I still have pain and take Tylenol and Advil every day. If I don't my pain can get out of hand. I still use ice for pain management as well. I walk around my house and driveway but have not ventured out to the street. I did attempt a grocery shopping outing with my daughter last week and that was a little too much. Whenever I get frustrated because I can't do more, I remind myself just how far I have come. And how fast the time has gone.

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? We’d love to hear from you when you have time.
Hope you’re pleased with your progress and slowly getting back to the things you love.
All the best!
@August26hippie

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie