August recovery group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyrock

Country
United States United States
Hi All, i am on hip #2 and this site was a life saver on the first go around. I have been trying to join the August recovery group for a few weeks now. Emailed Bottomshollow directly. Not quite sure what' going on but would love that support group. Number two much easier than the first hip two years ago. Wanna know why? This site taught me to slow down and let my body to the work. And also understand that healing is not linear, some days you need the cane, some days are pain reliever free, some nights are good, others not so much. Once i took the pressure off, everything followed. Not to say it is all smooth sailing, just know that you will get throw those rocky waters to easier days.

Hello, Welcome back, thanks for joining us again.
Your name will be added to the August list, so no worries there. Please re-familiarize yourself with the Recovery Guidelines and stop back to share progress and receive support or encouragement as necessary.
Wishing you well on the journey.
Have a great rest of the week!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hey, congrats on getting #2 (and FINAL) hip done! From your avatar picture, I'm guessing you are a happily active woman normally so with hips replaced, you have your eye on recovery and getting back to a more energetic and wonderful life in 2020. Glad to read you are firmly in the "slow and steady" camp with respect to recovery, and I bet you'll do great--cheers for you!

We apologize to everyone for the minor lag in getting names on our surgery and recovery teams. Bottomshollow has had a succession of personal matters that have kept her from the forum for several weeks. I spoke with her a few days ago and she should return soon to catch everything up. If for some reason that doesn't work out by the end of next week, we'll find another way to get everything caught up with our teams. We know how important it is to have others in your network who are having surgery right when you are.

Yes, we'll make sure you're added to the list.
@Marls00

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member