THR August 9th - THR recovery not going as expected

Leeann630

Country
United States United States
I am not sure where to start or if I should be writing with all of the meds. It has been a pretty bad week.
On Friday I woke up from surgery around 7pm. The surgery started at 7 am. At some point PT woke me to walk, but would not let me go as far as I wanted, because I was heavily sedated. Saturday was pretty painful, but I was allowed to walk further. Sunday and Monday they stopped pain meds and pushed a lot of IV fluids to bring up my blood pressure. They said no pain medication as long as my top BP number was below 100. Unfortunately, my pain was a 10 most of the time with uncontrollable crying and shaking. My hemoglobin dropped to 8.2. The next few days were very painful and there were problems with my BP being all over the place and tachycardia due to pain. It is what they said anyway.

On Wednesday afternoon, they transferred me to an acute care rehab hospital. Despite pain, I was walking more each day with a walker.

On Thursday afternoon, I was about 3 steps from sitting down when I felt like something stabbed me in the back of the hip. I could hardly make it the remaining 3 steps with the walker. After that, standing and walking are extremely painful and almost impossible due to posterior and groin pain.. The following day while slightly moving my hip I felt a pop which was even more painful and I haven't been able to walk since.

They changed my medication which helped with nerve pain down my leg into my foot and muscle tightness and soreness, but they do not touch the pain I have that affects walking. It feels a lot like when I dislocated my hip. I no longer have a hip to hurt, so it doesn't make sense.

On a side not, my hemoglobin has dropped to 7.4, and I am not sure why, but I think it is causing some of my dizziness and fatigue.

The doctor told me it would be more painful than a normal THR, because it is a conversion from two prior hip surgeries. (Repairs with a total of 7 ankers.

I know I am no where near where I should be. I see many posts about how well people are doing at two weeks and I am amazed.

Sorry for the long post! (I fell asleep 5 times writing it) I am completely overwhelmed and afraid something isn't right.

Poor baby! It sounds like you've had a super duper revision sort of THR so dont compare to anyone else but yourself. That said, sounds like it's time for a doctor to come check on you and perhaps x-ray to see what's up in there. One of the forum advisors will be along soon and perhaps enlist the medical advice of our forum nurse. For now it's important to rest and get that pain under control. Take care!!! :flwrysmile:

Oh my goodness @Leeann630
They said no pain medication as long as my top BP number was below 100. Unfortunately, my pain was a 10 most of the time with uncontrollable crying and shaking.
I hate that they weren't able to keep your pain managed because of the low blood pressure. That must've been awfully traumatic. Sincere sympathies that you had to go through that.:console2:

On a side not, my hemoglobin has dropped to 7.4, and I am not sure why, but I think it is causing some of my dizziness and fatigue.
Are they giving you any iron supplements?
I know I am no where near where I should be. I see many posts about how well people are doing at two weeks and I am amazed.
I'm guessing the difficult surgery resulted in some significant blood loss as you describe the BP issues and anemia.
Your body is working hard to recover from this trauma and as Calgirl mentions...comparing recoveries, though difficult not to do, is not helpful.
Are there weight bearing restrictions you are having to follow while things are settling?
I do hope this is the bumpiest part of your journey and that all starts to settle down soon.:praying:
Sending healing hugs your way:loveshwr:

@Mojo333 I am receiving the multivitamin that I was taking before the surgery, but I am not sure how much iron it has. I guess it does not have much, because my stomach is very sensitive to it.

I do not have any weight bearing restrictions. The day of surgery when my hip was numb, I could walk without pain. I remember how smooth it felt. I wanted to walk all over the hospital, but was not allowed to for safety. Walking was painful the next day, but I was able to increase how far I walked each day until day 6. Now I am unable to stand straight and place my foot flat on the floor with any pressure.

Those muscles can spasm up and is very likely this is causing the discomfort. I know the mind goes everywhere these early days...we want to know that this was the right thing to do and all will be okay.

Are you still at the rehab place?
I certainly hope they are keeping your OS informed that you feel there is an issue.
Hopefully they are keeping you iced up!?

When do you get a postop checkup?

@Leeann630 I'm sorry to read your update, it sounds very difficult.. it does sound like you need to talk to your OS about your low hemoglobin and also about your pain control! And of course it makes you worry but hopefully it's just a lot of very angry and inflamed muscles/tendons.
Ice, ice, ice and rest. Vent to us on here when needed.. you got this. :flwrysmile:

Good Morning,
I'm so sorry to read about your rough start. My heart goes out to you in your pain and suffering. It's awful.
When you have a minute could you please clarify a couple things -

On Thursday afternoon, I was about 3 steps from sitting down when I felt like something stabbed me in the back of the hip. I could hardly make it the remaining 3 steps with the walker. After that, standing and walking are extremely painful and almost impossible due to posterior and groin pain.. The following day while slightly moving my hip I felt a pop which was even more painful and I haven't been able to walk since.

What are the medical professionals saying, or doing about this?
If I'm understanding right, you haven't walked in two days?

The doctor told me it would be more painful than a normal THR, because it is a conversion from two prior hip surgeries. (Repairs with a total of 7 ankers.

Could you share the type of surgeries and dates of the two you referenced, not only as an update to your signature, but to give other members that are reading here a better understanding of your history and what you're dealing with.

Please don't compare your recovery with that of others. Your circumstances are entirely unique and given your account it sounds as though your recovery may be more of a challenge. Consider stopping by for support and encouragement and of course to vent if you're having one of those days. Maybe avoid reading others threads, for however long you find youreself making comparisons, then feeling discouraged, you don't need the added stress. There will come a time when you can engage with others in that way, but for now it may serve you best to stick to your thread and communicate with those who offer support here. Obviously only a suggestion the choice is yours.

Will look forward to your response and updates. We're here for you and we care. :console2:
Wishing you a peaceful Sunday.
@Leeann630

Sorry that you have had a rocky start on this recovery. Are things easing for you yet? Is your pain managed? I would encourage you to demand a new x-ray - if only for your own peace of mind.

I'll leave your reading list here for you to refer to. Please do keep us updated.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Are you able to talk with your surgeon and your own GP from the rehab facility where you are or is it a case where your surgeon transferred you to the staff doctors there? Do you have a friend or family member who can advocate for you and help you get things done? If no one is addressing your low hemoglobin, blood pressure and inability to walk, you need to have someone help you put some pressure on whichever doctor in charge of your care.

So very sorry that you're having such a bad time for starters. I do not know how I would have been able to get through my own recovery without taking heavy duty pain medications - as I remember how bad it was - even with Oxycodone all through the day.

What they taught me on this forum not to have any expectations or compete with others time of recovery. I was doing that because I had way too many expectations when I was going on 3months post-op. I too was always worried that maybe something wasn't right - no matter how many times I was told it was

But your situation sounds very different & more complicated. I am unclear whether you had just a hip replacement of a revision of a prior hip replacement. But, if something is telling you (and it sounds that way) that something is not right - don't let anyone tell you that it isn't.

I would ask for another x-ray and/or MRI if you continue to feel this way. Some of the symptoms you describe doesn't sound right to me - like "hearing a pop" - so did you describe these feeling to you drs.? Even if it's for you reassurance, it's my opinion that you be checked & re-checked.

I appreciate everyone's support. I have been meaning to respond to the questions and clarify some things, but I am having trouble staying awake long enough to type. I fall asleep and end up with lines of whatever key my finger was over when I dozed off. I am on pain medication, muscle relaxers and nerve medication which are making me extremely sleepy. I hope to be able to tomorrow.

Thank you again for being there and being so supportive!

It's good to hear from you.
Take your time and get the rest you need. We'll be here when you're up to communicating.
With any luck when you're feeling wakeful you're noticing some improvement since you last shared details.
Can't say I'm not concerned...Just hope you have someone caring for you that understands your situation clearly.
Will look forward to an update when you're ready. Wishing you comfort in the interim.
@Leeann630

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom