TKR Nancan's pre-op thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nancan

Country
United States United States
Yep, scheduled for August.

Hi! I'm new here and need help in choosing a recliner. I am 5'2 150lbs.

Hello @Nancan - and :welome:

These articles may help you prepare for your surgery - there is one about choosing recliners:

Longevity of implants and revisions: how long will my new joint last

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

I rented a lift recliner for both hip surgeries. For the first hip, the technician who was helping me said that I needed a large recliner - I am 5' 8".
I regretted listening to her, so with my second THR I opted for a medium and loved it! I think having the chair a little too small was much more comfortable than too big, because the head pillow portion on the large one kept pushing my head forward too much.

Are you in a position to go sit in the chairs and get a feel for what you would like?
I rented mine from a Home Health Supply Store and was able to go there to inspect them prior to surgery. They are vinyl so are easily able to be wiped down and disinfected.

Other members buy themselves their own chair. But having the lift mechanism is pretty helpful for those first 2-3 weeks, and I would strongly suggest considering one of those.

But having the lift mechanism is pretty helpful for those first 2-3 weeks, and I would strongly suggest considering one of those.
I agree.

I love my recliner, which I've had for about 10 years.
But I couldn't use it for the first few weeks, because I couldn't get out of it.
When I buy a new recliner, it will be one with the lift mechanism.

Hi again, @Nancan .

Here's some reading to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Welcome and good luck! The day will be here before you know it. My big suggestion, do as much leg strengthening you can (both legs) and upper body. You will be surprised how tight your shoulders will feel when you are getting up and using a walker.

Thanks! You have all been a tremendous help. Now I need to know what shower seat I should get. Any ideas?

Thanks SpaceGirl! I have my dumb bells and I am working on upper body but not able to do much with my legs. Any suggestions?

Hi All,

I'm 5'3 and I know I am not going to try and get in my tub/shower combination without help. Can anyone suggest the best shower chair to purchase

@Nancan You will notice I merged all your threads with questions. There is no need to start a new thread with every question. Just keep all your questions here and you will have one place to come for answers.
I know I am not going to try and get in my tub/shower combination without help.
Do you have a shower over your tub or is it a freestanding shower?

Many people find that a bath chair that fits over the side of the tub is best. It allows you to sit and then move over into the tub to use a hand-held shower nozzle rather than having to step over the side of the tub (definitely more of a risk for a fall).
1595034237187.png

Be sure to have plenty of sturdy grab bars in your bath/shower. These are important for anyone - not just those of us recovering from surgery.

My surgery was delayed .... going in tomorrow morning. My surgeon and the hospital OR dept can not tell me how long I will be there. Anyone know what the criteria for going home the same day is?

I'm sorry your surgery was delayed.
Please will you confirm your new surgery date is August 17? Thank you.

Usually, before being discharged, you have to be able to get out of bed and back in again, walk to and from the bathroom using a walking aid, be independent for toileting, and learn how to negotiate stairs.

yes, the 17th and thanks

I may be in pre op but I have been thru this way too many times hate to say but its going to be rough as your finding out. My best advice try not to stand for long periods after awhile the pain is brutal. If you can sit great but it would be even better if you can get another chair to stretch bad leg on. If you can ice another suggestion ( it helps somewhat at least for me ) use Diclofenac lotion or Bio Freeze. The Bio feels better but has not medicinal effect. If all else fails highly suggest part time, few more weeks off ?? Bad thing about knees they are on their own schedule if you don,t follow their rules you pay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks