August 20,2018 bilateral

hellysully

Country
United States United States
I’m considering bi-lateral total arthroplasty (rear) following my doctor’s recommendation. Any experiences to share or thoughts for me?

Certainly! We've had oodles of members have bilateral THRs. About 145 of them actually! If you click on this link, you will be taken to a search page of all of them and can read away to your heart's content! But there are even members of staff who have had them and I don't think they had any disappointments! One surgery, one anaesthetic, one recovery - can't really ask for much more!

But here's some general information to get you started
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?
Hips that have lasted 32, 40, 41 and 45 years
67½ year old - the THRs, not the patient!

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Hi and welcome to BoneSmart!
First, let me tell me what phrase you will need to get used to hearing..."Both at Once?!?"
If you haven't heard it already:)
I saw a few inquiries on another thread..one I thought was in reference to getting up and down.
Certainly you'll need some help situating yourself for some days...but my surgeon also thought I was healthy and strong enough to do them simultaneously.
Your walker will help give you support and I used it to help get up.
Upper body strength was super helpful. Work on that while you wait...
I only have the bilateral experience, but I am so glad both my hips are healed and it was one and done!
I know how nerve-wracking the prospect can be, but I have never regretted my surgery!

@hellysully Welcome to BoneSmart! Great idea going bilateral if your surgeon agrees. Waiting for surgery is the worst part. Having to do it twice is very nerve wracking. Read some of the threads Josephine have you links to. You will find lots of very happy hippies on that side.

Welcome! Thanks for joining us.
You're going to love it here. Lots of beneficial info and tons of support.
Stop back often with questions / concerns. We'll do our best to help.
We'll follow your journey and encourage you along the way.
Hope your weekend is great!
@hellysully

Thanks for all the comments and the links to the BiLateral threads. I’m excited because my OS does the “mini-posterior “. Getting a bit of Hawaii time in before my scheduled date.

Lucky you...I need some of that!
Hope you have a wonderful time:surfer:

Hawaii was just what I needed. The stupid hip is making it harder to get around but I have my trusty cane

Reactions: dlp
:flwrysmile:good for you.
You'll need to go next year...with no walking aides.
Is going to be Sweet!:yes!:

Hawaii! Never been.
Always think it looks beautiful though.
I hope you had a wonderful time.
Final countdown 11 - 10 - 9
You're going to love the result!
@hellysully

Hi @hellysully
Hope you are hanging in there!
Not much longer now...:yes!:

Hi there,
The last weekend before surgery. I'll bet you're anxious and ready to roll.
If you have time on Sunday evening, start your Recovery thread so it's ready for you post op.
I hope you have a peaceful weekend!
@hellysully

Hi,
Best wishes for tomorrow. Hope you get some sleep tonight.
We'll look forward to your recovery thread.
Give us a shout out when you're able.
@hellysully

Good luck tomorrow!

I am BTHR + 16 days, having my 2week follow up with my OS tomorrow.

It's not a 'walk in the park', but it probably won't be as bad as you expect....

You've got this...
Recovery won't be a walk in the park...but it is definitely not that OA pain and you will be on the way to getting your life back.:yes!:

Camino Santiago de Compostela beckons.:yes:

How do I start a recovery thread? Do I do it from my original post?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom