BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Aug 30 left TKR

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Ark_PB, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Ark_PB

Ark_PB new member

United States United States
    About 10 weeks out . starting to get anxious and excited. Feeling the discomfort more and more frequently.
    Everytime we, the Dr and I , do something I feel better but the effect is shorter and shorter in duration.
    My first steroid shot lasted about 2 weeks. this last one lasted about 2 days. Knee brace was a benefit for the first couple weeks but I can feel more discomfort daily. (Dont really want to call it pain more of an inconvenience, I've learned to live with it over the last year.
    Have a wonderful support staff, my wife is very helpful and watchful.
    Do have a question for someone, we are raising our 2 year old granddaughter, how hard is a surgery like this on the little ones in the house

2. Chemist

Chemist member

Hello @Ark_PB : welcome to the forum. Couple different aspects about the surgery and your granddaughter. First you are going to be a bit unstable on your feet after the surgery (whether with crutches, walker, cane or unassisted) and she could be a trip hazard for you. Second, you may not have the energy to keep up with grandpa duties for a while. The medications, sleep issues and energy devoted to healing may leave you fatigued (I am). Not sure if this helps or not.

Good luck to you.

3. ertuck

ertuck junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You will be fine as regrds to your Grandaughter they soon realise that G'dad has a duff knee and will be very careful and sympathetic and pleased with your condition as you progress.I had four Grand Kids bombing around in the house and they were always very careful when near my operated leg..

• Like Like x 1
  4. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Just make sure the two-year old understands she can’t jump on Grandpa’s knee. Some children are better about this than others. You will want to nap a lot (good for healing so let it happen), so have someone else around to take care of the chasing the little one around. You won’t be nimble for a while, at least a few weeks, and you will be on strong pain medication at the start. You shouldn’t be taking care of young children. On the plus side, grandchildren make us happy, and you will appreciate the joy yours brings. :)

5. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    We had our son and his two daughters staying with us when I had my last knee replacement. The children were aged 4 and 2 and they were surprisingly solicitous of "Nanna's sore knee".
    They were warned in advance that they must stay well away from my knee, and must not bounce onto the bed.

Even little children like to help and they were willing little messengers and bringers of small things I needed.

Once my dressing was removed and you could see the incision, they asked to see it daily and passed comments like "It looks a bit better today". They were quite impressed with the size of the incision and I think that made them more careful, because they saw what a "big ouchie" I had.

Even though I could do nothing to help care for them, because I spent a lot of time resting, I was nearly always available to read stories to them, and they loved that. We had some lovely cuddle times while I was reading to them - and it did keep them occupied while their parents were doing things around the house.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ark_PB

Ark_PB new member

About two months out for surgery and have questions about Pre Op exercises.
    What can I do now to help recovery after?

7. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    It all depends on how much pain you have from your knees. Some people can do exercises to strengthen their legs - but don't do anything that makes them hurt more.
    Upper body exercises will be very useful, because you'll need strong arms at first after your surgery.
    We do have this article, which suggests some things you can do:
    Exercises for pre-surgery patients

8. Ark_PB

Ark_PB new member

Pre surgery testing yesterday
    Met with rehap DR.
    I'm good to go, three weeks from tomorrow . Reality is starting to set in, i know the after will be better then now, I just don't wanna go through it.

I'll keep myself focused on the other side .

Anyone else feel this way?

9. Rhodyrhody

Rhodyrhody senior

I totally feel the same way....am 12 days after you, for both. Lots of days, they don't hurt "that bad", but on those days, I'm just sitting around, getting fatter by the minute. I don't want to go through it either, but when I try to get up and 'do' stuff, it's a great reminder of why I have to get this done. Not just pain, but sometimes, even when they don't hurt...one just 'gives out'...Have had enough of all that...It's kinda funny sometimes, but I'm sure it's dangerous/going to lead to a nasty spill sooner or later. Want to be able to get out and do some serious walking mileage again!

10. Ark_PB

Ark_PB new member

Any one else tired?
    I usually catch a 20-30 minute nap at work then by 3:30-4:00 I'm ready for another 30 minutes, and I sleep 7-8 hours a night.
    Is this normal?
    i attribute it to how much harder moving is and how much my body has to deal with the limp and pain?
    Being awake for 6 hours is a 9 hour workout!!