TKR Aug 20 hard work.

judgar

Country
United States United States
hello. I had trk done aug 20th. Then had to go back into surgery aug 23. I was bleeding. It would not stop. It was a tear between the muscle and tendon. My dr. Does not want me go the a physical therapy place. He wants in home. I was so happy.iam so swollen. When they took my bandageI had a rash from the glue.so I have contact dermatitis . I do some exercises then my knee swells. It is so disappointing. I do take walks down my driveway. Well. Just wanted to introduce myself. I have learned a lot from different post

Hi, @judgar , and welcome!

How awful that you had to go back into surgery so soon after your TKR! I am glad they got the bleeding stopped.

My TKR went very smoothly, but I still had to have a month of PT at home. I think that is Medicare's policy perhaps. Today, at 4 weeks, I am starting PT at a physical therapy facility for the first time.

After PT, or other exercise, I immediately hook up to my icing machine for an hour or so to keep the swelling down.

You are walking more than I am! I need to make a point of walking at least up and down the driveway every day.

I don’t think iam going to go to pt at a physical therapist. To afraid of them being to rough.i do not want anything to tear again.

I’m sorry you had such a rough start. Did they tell you what caused the tear between the muscle and tendon?

How often does the PT come to your house? Are they gentle? At 3 weeks post op you don’t need a lot of exercises, just gentle movements. Walks are good, but not to excess. Does your medical team encourage walking, with the repaired tear you have?

Don’t do anything strenuous or anything that makes you swell more.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hi, @judgar ... you have the right idea about your recovery. First thing that needs to happen is for you to heal. This is especially true since you had some soft tissue tearing. At this early stage you really don't need a lot of therapy. Some gentle bends and stretches a few times a day will be just fine. Take a look at the information that Jockette gave you. It will give you some time guidelines for the healing process.

Many of us never took formal PT or did exercises. I am one of them. I had 11 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing. I took care of myself, my house and yard as my knee allowed me to do. As I healed, I did more. But, my knee was always in control. This was enough therapy for me and would be for any tkr patient. All the awful pain of PT is so unnecessary.

All you have to do is use it in your daily living. Your knee knows how to rehab itself and doesn't need anyone telling it how. Just use it by easily walking and it will come back like new. You have to be patient, though, it doesn't happen quickly. ADL,(activities of daily living), going to the bathroom, brushing your teeth and bathing, fixing a light meal, getting something to drink and or a snack, those kinds of things will be all the exercise your knee needs. If you just use it daily in your living, you can have a less painful recovery. We know what works, we've been there:yes:.

Having that tear is even more reason to be very, very gentle with your knee. Twice, I was in an immobilizer for 6-8 after knee surgeries. After removing the brace, within a few weeks my knee was where it was supposed to be ROM wise. They do snap back if treated like a newborn baby, with lots of TLC.

Thank you so much everyone for your advice. I worry so much .i have never had anxiety but this surgery sure gave it to me.
The dr. Assure me I will be ok.the only thing he said was do not fall.he said iam boss on therapy so I tell them what to do. Does everyone sleep ok. Iam up at all hours.iam only on ibuprofen I had a reaction to my pain pills so off them.yep one thing after another. Now I think I am getting a sinus infection.

Trouble sleeping is par for the course, unfortunately. There’s an article about it in the Recovery Guidelines that I left for you.

I did way to much yesterday. I have to much pain today..have to sit today.one day I feel great next like a truck ran over me

It can be a roller coaster road during healing of doing enough without over doing...get back on the mantra recommendations and hopefully you will get things back under control!

one day I feel great next like a truck ran over me
Easily done (I did it too). When you feel good, relax, take it easy, don't push, don't say 'I walked 10 yards today, 10 miles tomorrow', just slow gentle progression.

In these early days you should be resting more than doing. Don’t look at it as doing nothing, look at it as giving your knee the best circumstance in which to heal. :console2:

I did way to much yesterday. I have to much pain today..have to sit today.one day I feel great next like a truck ran over me
Unfortunately, this is perfectly normal. I would do one extra thing one day and have to rest, elevate and ice more the next. This is what this recovery is like:
rollercoasterexample-gif.74641

Thank you. I just feel miserable.i was suppose to have in home pt. I think I might cancel. We had a storm last night. No power today anyways

If you don't feel up to it, do cancel. It won't do you any harm at all to not do it today. Wait until you feel much better.

Rest and ice is good. Do you have a cold therapy ice machine? I didn't have one with my first knee, but Hubby bought one after a month or so. The gel packs don't last very long.

Don't get discouraged reading my thread. We had our surgeries on the same day, but every knee is different. My first knee was nothing like this one. This recovery is very easy. I did a lot of strengthening exercises beforehand. Just take it easy and let that tear heal, and don't compare with me.

My body aches so bad from sitting to much. Anyone else have this.

Oh yes. My body craves some real exercise. But it isnt ready. Too much too fast is a sure ticket to the ODIC. No one wants to be there.

I'm glad your PT went well.

I am learning first hand how very true it is that "every knee is different." Just between my left knee in July and my right knee now, the experience is very different.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rubyedith
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom