Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

Hip Hip Hooray!

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Hi Everyone,

I had both of my hips replaced last Tuesday. It went very well, and my recovery has been remarkable. I am 50 years old, and worked as a professional dancer/singer touring with Broadway shows and the Rockettes. About three years ago, I started to have severe pain in my left hip. It became very painful, especially at night. The bones started to shift, because I had worn away all of the cartilage. I went to see Dr. Joel Matta in Santa Monica, and he told me that both of my hips were bone on bone. I felt an immediate trust in him, so I scheduled my surgery for the next available appt. I was very pleased with the care. I made a point to put in writing that I wanted to receive the pain medication on schedule, whether I was awake of not, or coherent or not. That made a big difference. The first three days were the worst. It was painful, but the medications gave me relief. So did the ice. I spent three nights in the hospital. They wanted me to go home a day early, but I had my dad driving down from the Bay Area, and he'd already paid for a hotel room. I felt better staying that extra night, just in case. I was shocked and pleased at how quickly I improved! I was able to walk around the house without a walker on the 8th day. I did a lot of preparatory work at the gym before my surgery. I think that really helped. I used the weight machines a few times a week, and swam on the off days. Right now I'm doing the PT exercises twice a day, and walking. I'm back at my knitting groups twice a week. I arranged for Dial A Ride. They come pick me up at the house. Everything is going really well, and I feel very fortunate that my surgery went so smoothly. This forum helped me a lot! It's terrific.

Amazing recovery report! I hope it continues to improve with each passing day!

Wow, that's just wonderful, very happy for you! :yes!: I agree that this site is terrific, I'm also finding it very helpful and supportive. My family is great, but I really don't think they "get it". It's SO nice to have people who can relate and really understand. I hope your recovery continues to go very well. BTW, I'm having my LTHR next Fri., the surgeon suggested doing them both at the same time and I just couldn't do it. You are very brave.

Thanks for the replies. PegGene, Dr. Matta recommended doing them at the same time because that meant one time under anasthesia, one recovery period, and one hospital stay. It also appealed to me financially. I had to put the dogs in a kennel, pay my neighbor for a ride to the hospital, and have my dad come down to help me. I like the fact that I'm slowly weaning myself off of the meds. They are constipating, and I want to get my elimination working in a healthy way again. They really helped with the pain, though. Now I can just focus on the PT and healing. I would have found it harder to go back and do the surgery a second time. Everyone's different. It's good that you're doing what feels right to you. Cynthia, Yes, Dr. Matta is a great master. I researched all of the doctors across the USA who received five star reviews. What they all had in common was that they learned the Anterior Approach from Dr. Matta. I felt very safe with him...like I couldn't be in better hands. CircketHip, Thank you. I think it's amazing, too.
Josephine, I can't find the bilateral flag to put on my post. I must be missing something.

Hi HHH. I've alerted the mods to put a bilateral tag on your thread.

Congrats on a smooth surgery. Even though it's been relatively easy for you so far, take it easy as you recover. The easier the initial surgery and recovery are, the easier it is to overdo activity early on and cause soft tissue inflammation. We hippies often think....oh, I walked a quarter of a mile yesterday, and I feel fine today. So I think I'll try a 2 mile walk today. Recipe for disaster!!! Better to think....oh, I walked a quarter of a mile yesterday, and I feel fine today. So I think I'll try a second quarter mile later in the day today. The key is to build activity slowly and gradually.

PS...I'm a knitter too. Hip hip hooray for knitting groups! :)

Btw, here is the reading material we give all new hippies.
Sharon

First are the BoneSmart guidelines....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

@hip hip hooray Congrats on the smooth surgery and the good start to your recovery. I had my bilateral THR just over 4wks ago and I've found this site invaluable for information and support in aiding a steady recovery, in spite of a few self induced mishaps. Good luck with your recovery and I look forward to hearing how things progress.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

@Hip Hip Hooray!
Congrats on making it to the other side and having such a remarkable recovery! You will find this site invaluable with its advice, suggestions, chuckles and empathy. Best of luck to you!

Sharon, Andy, and Nana, Thanks for the encouragement. I'm very conservative with the exercise. I do a little more walking each day. Yesterday I went to get the mail and realized when I got out there that I'd forgotten my walker! That was a shock. I've been taking it easy. I make the PT exercises my priority, because they are really making a difference. Last night I think Ihad a fecal impaction. It was really rough. I took a cold shower, and that seemed to help me through the sweating and straining. I didn't anticipate this. I took a second cold shower, and then my body released again. I felt like I was having a baby! Ugh. I need to order some more prunes and dried fruit. The weird thing is, they gave me a stool softener for three days when I was in the hospital. I had my surgery Tues. the 18th, and didn't go to the bathroom until Sun. night. (they told me to take a laxative, which I did.) Then I didn't go from Sunday until Thurs. night. ( I took a laxative Thurs. a.m.) I think the medications are causing it. I've cut them back. I'm on Tramadol and Percaset. The pain has lessened, so I take them half as often. I'm also cutting the percaset pills in half. Other than than, everything is going very well. I'm happy to just stay home, crochet, and rest. I think I may have Vons deliver some dried fruit and bran. I have frozen berried, brown rice and oatmeal in my stockpile, maybe that will do the trick.

Hi HipHip! You sound fantastic! Well except for birthing a baby....
There are several helpful articles on here in regards to constipation.
BTHR, sounds so daunting!
Good luck and have a good weekend!

Yes, the narcotics are definitely a stopper-upper. I gave birth to a set of twins.....at least it felt like it....5 days after surgery. I thought about giving them a name, but nixed that idea. Since then, it's been no problem, even though I still take Percocet. Be sure to drink plenty of water...they say that helps. Coffee usually does it for me, though. Continue with your good progress!

@hip hip hooray It sounds like you have the control & steady progress bit nicely in hand, I sincerely hope it's stays that way.

As for the passing of the proverbial melon, I sympathise, I had to have an enema in hospital to get things moving. Since then it's been on average every 5 days that my body decides to release things irrespective of the amount of fruit, Senna, fluid, chocolate or nigh on anything I eat. The closest I have to a "definite" is a nice portion of fish and chips, but I'm not complaining. One thing I have found is that the energy drain from this op is considerable so our bodies need more fuel & are more reluctant to let anything go. That's my excuse for eating anything that doesn't move and I'm sticking to it

Good luck and have a great recovery day

Crickethip, For some reason, having both done at the same time sounded easier to me. I was really fearful before the surgery. It's such a relief to have it over with...I read the articles on constipation. I thought I was doing all that. Having a salad seems to be what got things moving.

Nana, I guess this happens to a lot of people I'm trying to drink more water. I thought the same about the coffee. I had two cups (my normal amount,) yesterday. I may try one less tomorrow. I really think it was the meds. (I had cut them back the previous days.) I feel fine now that I'm weaning myself off them slowly.

Andy, That was my fear, that they would want to give me an enema in the hospital. I just forced myself to push as hard as possible. Yesterday I took Dial a Ride to a knitting group. I think I'll stay home from now on. I felt nervous about the driver. He seemed rushed and angry. Things have gone so well for me so far, I don't want to push my luck. (My doctor is on vacation.)

@hip hip hooray I think a fair number of us have challenges when it comes to cars and travel after the operation. I'm still getting over mine, everything felt so much faster, closer and less controlled as a passenger and don't get me started on braking distances! It does get a bit easier as time goes on, at least that's what I'm finding, but it might be worth leaving it for a little while till recovered further. Btw, I used to drive 700 - 1,000 miles some weeks with my work so it appears to be able to get to any of us.

Have you seen the crafting threads on the community section of the forum?

Sweetie,

Remember you are not even two weeks post-op. Please take it slow and easy. You're body will not forgive you if you are too active this soon. I'm sure the gurus of this site will say the same thing. I will tag them so they can offer their words of wisdom. @Jaycey, @Josephine, @Jamie

Andy, I'll have to check that out, thanks. Yeah, I realized I feel much calmer staying home. I've got a great stockpile and can have groceries delivered. A few of my neighbors check on me.

Nana, You are right. I think I was charging out in public way too soon. Plus, I don't want to take any chances. I think those meds were affecting my judgement. (I even wanted to go back to the gym!) Now i'm coming to my senses. I figure my knitting friends can come visit me here, if they want to...

Prescription pain medications can cause constipation. But proper use of stool softeners will help....as will a diet that includes plenty of water, prunes or prune juice and other fresh fruits. Here is an article with more helpful hints from our BoneSmart Library. Constipation and Stool Softeners Be sure not to make a habit of using laxatives as your body can get dependent upon them and make things even more difficult later. Best to stay away from the stimulants in them. Always look for that word "stimulant" on the label and avoid it. Stool softeners are best.

Please don't let a fear of constipation cause you to stop your pain medications too soon. The constipation can be dealt with, but if your pain levels are such that you have a lot of discomfort, you'll make your recovery more difficult. This is not a "forever" thing and before you know it, you'll be forgetting to take a dose of pain meds here and there and you'll know then that you can start tapering off them.

Watch your activity level too. When you start feeling a bit better, it's easy to overdo things. Add activity in small stages and see how you do. It's always easy to add a bit more if all is well. If you overdo, it usually takes a couple of days of rest and ice and pain meds to recover. Remember, you have had a major, major surgery and your body needs time to heal not only from the procedure but also from the general trauma that surgery brings.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jamie. Can you get stool softeners over the counter? I've been drinking more water. I'm still taking the pain meds, just not as many. I feel good. My need for them has lessened. I'm also sleeping at night for longer stretches. I feel much better in the morning. I used to wake up every hour and a half feeling like I needed to take another pill. I'm really pleased with my recovery, but am going to back off any trips.

You can get stool softeners at any grocery or pharmacy in the laxative section. Just be sure that it is just a stool softener...there are several choices out there. :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom