Athlete needing TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.

verno

Hello All, Im a 43yr old male needing TKR. Im an avid Ice Hockey player and bicyclist. The only reason i would have the TKR is to continue playing. I have met a guy in chicago that plays hockey 3 days a week on his mobile bearing high flex knee by zimmer. He tells me he has no limitations on the Ice. So why is it that I wouldnt be able to continue with athletics?

ai21.photobucket.com_albums_b286_flagady15_smilies_yup.jpg

WHY STOP!????? I'm an alpine masters level ski racer and coach (nurse too), 45 year old female -- clocked at 82 mph last year in downhill. I'm not quitting and my surgeon wants to see me excel. He's 39, and definately NOT an old school orthopedic surgeon.
My product: Zimmer gender flex (female, high flexion) with the ultra congruent poly/plastic insert. MADE FOR SPORTS and HIGH ACTIVITY.
I'm 10 days post op and walking in my living room. No joint pain at all, no regrets.

I think many times there is this language barrier between surgeons and athletes. They seem to equate hockey with NHL level and say that's not for knees I put in. But they don't realize that there are a whole gamut of friendly games (and sometimes the friendly games occur in the middle of real bang up games). I used to play and ref hockey and had to give up 2 years ago when I couldn't bend my knee enough to pick up a puck anymore.
I'm thinking I can probably get back and ref youth games (I'm not sure I'll be agile enough
to stay out of the way in adult/college games).

My other pet peeve (and my reason for the TKR) was skiing. I had this discussion with the surgeon who said "gentle skiing is OK, agressive skiing is not". I said I like to ski agressive terrain but never do it agressively. He didn't really have an answer to that one. By the way I have a basic stryker knee. I skied 35 days last year on a bone on bone knee, so even a basic functional knee is better than I had even if I lose a little twisting motion. Most of the data I read suggests that the installation is probably more important than the hardware, but certainly if you get a good mechanic and good parts you should be in great shape.

Are they only concered with wear or is there other reasons. What if I get hit in the knee? If my muscles are strong wont it be the same as my old knee. I'm realy freaking out about this decision.

Verno - let me ask you, what were the risks of getting hit in the knee BEFORE surgery???
Ask your doc about an acl kind of brace that would defer the energy of a potential hit away from the joint.
I had this discussion with my doc and I'll probably just save my old acl brace for high risk activities, but have no intention of quitting what I love doing...
Barb

Verno - let me ask you, what were the risks of getting hit in the knee BEFORE surgery???
Barb

Exactly. From what I understand there is some degree of ware and tear the more active you are. But that's true with real knees as well I'd think. They wear and tear. That's how many of us got in this boat. And you certainly don't want to stop living for fear. To steal Josephine's concept, fear and excitement are very close chemically and so on to the body. Think of living the life you want again free from pain and lean towards the excitement.

any artificial parts are never going to be as good as your original pre-arthritic parts. You will however beable to do everything you can do now, but without pain.
I will never run again, that's ok... I gave up soccer years ago, so I won't play after TKR. That's ok for me. I was struggling with hiking before surgery, but look forward to painfree hiking soon. I ski race, and will be able to continue. I would not suggest a non-skier pre-operatively to expect to be a ski racer after TKR...
Food for thought...
Barb

. I would not suggest a non-skier pre-operatively to expect to be a ski racer after TKR...
Food for thought...
Barb

did you see edk post about us all getting together next year to ski? that's why I called fireplace detail! :)

Hard to say about your limitations---as well as your ROM. I reffed college hoops for years--that is out---but I am still umping HS and college baseball, and I am riding my bike. It may depend on your MD as well; mine wants me to run as little as possible, as it will wear the knee out sooner.

Remember, you are getting a new knee replacement; not a brand new knee-. I am now pain-free, but my ROM isn't what it was before the Bilateral TKR and I will not be able to do certain things; my quality of life and my outlook on life is better, though.

You need to ask yourself this question: Is playing hockeye right now more important than the longevity of the TKR? DO I really want to trade some seasons on the ice for a new TKR much soon than normal. Only you can answer that question.

Tim C.

Im going to get it done. I have my appointment on Wednesday and they want a decision. Yes any season of hockey I can have will be worth the replacement.

Ref what was your ROM before surgery? Mine is 100 now and I should get any where from 125 to 155 depending on what product I get.

My ROM before surgery was actually pretty good...it was the twisting and the torquing that REALLY HURT Right now my ROM is about 130 and everybody (including me) is happy with that.

I am going on 51/2 months post op now and things are better everyday. I cycle to and from the school where I teach and I umpire four games a week (soon to be five games.)

Just keep in mind that these will have to be replaced---I do not know what kind of wear and tear skating will do to them. Running is a concern for many as it causes more wear than normal. Keep in mind that it takes a year or so to return to what is actually "normal."

Tim C.

Thanks Tim. I found a guy who plays 3 days a week and after 5 years has no wear at all. He says he has no limitations. Tim what knee did you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom