THR At home from outpatient THR surgery today!

Snoopy55

senior
Country
United States United States
Congrats on your new hip! Just rest and ice and take your meds like everyone suggests. You have to be reeeeally patient about this. I'm in my 50s too and boy it was hard to be patient. But trust me you just need to do what everyone is telling you and you will be fine. I started and stopped PT twice already and all I am doing is walking but I am at 5 months post op and you are just 5 days.....and also my surgery was different than yours but I think they cut the same places and stitch you back the same. You've got a new hip and I got the old one pinned up but either way its still painful. Let us know how you're doing!

Zoebichon

Country
I was under the impression that all of my swelling in my thighs was slowly gotten rid of by all of my peeing! Seriously, that was my PT, seemingly every hour around the clock, for 3 weeks!

I was stiff every morning, spent my days resting, elevating and icing and felt better as the day went on. Up walking around the living room and kitchen every hour. But each evening, the stiffness would come back with a vengeance for the first 3 weeks. By evening, I would be really leaning on my walker. It was so much better after 3 weeks.

OP
OP
Joe33426

Joe33426

Country
Will be interested in how you fare with the MLD Techniques.
Just remember that it only requires a light touch.
The swelling will ebb and flow for a while but it should give you some relief.

The MLD techniques didn't seem to do much about the swelling and the stiffness and the swelling continued last weekend and I ended up cancelling PT on Monday. I think my body just needed time and patience. So, I called the OS office on Monday and they just said that I just need to give it time. I was going to reschedule PT for Tuesday or Wednesday, but I think that mentally and physically I just needed a break from PT.

Since Monday, my swelling has gone down a little and I'm getting a little more range of motion in my leg. I have PT this morning at 11 and I'm going to go and see how that goes. I was just reading @Sweetheart5 recovery thread and agree that the stories of full recoveries in weeks really sets up a false impression that if you don't live up to those standards you're somehow "doing it wrong".

My recovery is going to be a marathon, not a sprint, and I may be icing and elevating my leg for longer than I originally thought. It's all good. The best part is that right now, I have NO pain in my hip area, where before surgery it was constant pain and discomfort. I told work that my follow up with the OS isn't until 9/1 so don't expect to see me anytime in person before then :rotfl: that I'm working remotely just fine.

Thanks for all the support and guidance on this website. It's been amazingly helpful.

Layla

Staff member since November 20, 2017
BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hi Joe, :wave:
Many do learn to reset expectations after reading countless recovery stories here. Make it easier on yourself and let go of any notion that this recovery is short lived, because it’s not. At only two weeks post op tomorrow, you have a lot of healing to go.
May I suggest you ice and elevate when you return home from PT. See how you feel tomorrow, after today’s session and go from there. I wish you luck today and hope you enjoy the change of scenery as early recovery can get awfully boring. The activity of the day may tire you out, then it will be happy nappy time! :yawn::sleep:
@Joe33426

OP
OP
Joe33426

Joe33426

Country
Just a quick update and a couple of question. Things are getting much better with my swelling and soreness and I’m feeling pretty good at three weeks post-op.

My PT told me last week that I don’t need to be using my cane anymore, but when I read the OS instructions they say to use the cane until you can walk without a limp. If I concentrate, I can usually walk for awhile without limping, but after walking for awhile, I have a noticeable limp. Should I be using the cane? I did some research online and I found a few OS who say to use the cane until no limp.

The other thing I am wondering about is incision site care. My OS instructions don’t really have a lot of information. I took off a large padded bandage at 1 week and the steri-strips off at week 3 and the wound looks okay, but I’m wondering if there is anything I should be doing? I did read not to expose the incision to sunlight for 6 months. Not that that portion of my body would ever see the light of day :rotfl: I’m just wondering if I should be covering the wound or putting any type of ointment or vitamin e or something else.

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hi Joe, It's nice to hear from you! It sounds like you're doing very well at three weeks post op.
Regarding the cane, we do advise using it until you're no longer limping.
Here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking when you're limping.
This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe.
It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

I found myself limping also, but it did ease with time. Heel-toe walking helped me see that I could control the limp if I concentrated on my gait. For several months post op, I'd occasionally fall back into that old gait if I was tired. I wouldn't notice on my own, I was usually made aware by someone asking me if I was limping. It would catch me surprise.

If your incision is fully closed and looks good, I'd leave it alone. Follow any instructions you received on baths, pools, hot tubs or bodies of water. My OS was very strict and said they were all No-No's for three months post op.
Sometimes the skin around your incision becomes dry and itchy while healing. Although it is okay to put lotion or cream on the surrounding skin if it is uncomfortable, you should not apply anything close to or on the stitches or incision without the approval of your surgeon. It normally takes four to six weeks for the incision to fully heal and close. You don't want to risk infection by applying a product near an open area before that time. Some of the more common creams and lotions used on a healed incision are Bio-Oil, Vitamin E Oil, E45 Cream, Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion with Vitamin E, and Coconut Oil.

I hope you have a great day and week to come. Thanks for stopping by with an update. Stay in touch! :)
@Joe33426

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Happy One Month Anniversary, Joe!
I hope you're doing well.
Best Wishes for a great week! :wave:
@Joe33426

Layla

BoneSmart Staff
Country
Hi Joe,
I hope all is going well with your recovery. Two months to date, today. Happy Anniversary!
Next time you stop by please leave an update, we'd love to read about your progress. :)
@Joe33426

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Amy99
Recent bookmarks
Top Bottom