BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

Assistive devices

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by HelloMako, Feb 18, 2019.

1. HelloMako

HelloMako new member

United States United States
    Hello! I’m preparing for PKR (patellofemoral) with the Mako robot on March 7. I’m trying to get an idea of assistive devices I’ll need to have on hand.

The hospital will send me home with walker or cane, whichever they think is appropriate. I have a small built in ledge/seat in my step in shower, and I’ve already ordered a lounge doctor leg rest pillow. It seems to me a walker could sub for dedicated bars around the toilet, did anybody find this to be true? Anybody find certain items that were must haves? My strength, flexibility and range of motion are all very good right now....but I’m prepared to be humbled!

2. rosieNZ

rosieNZ member

New Zealand New Zealand
    How clever! But maybe if the walker is on wheels it could scoot out when you try and stand.
    If no wheels(the type if walking frame you lift with each step) and its the right height then why not.

Old people is aged residential care use their walkers to go to the bathroom. They usually have grab bars on the wall by the toilet to use to stand up as wheels (unless braked) can roll forward if you are not pushing straight down when trying to stand.
    Good luck oh humble one

3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
  4. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I had a Patellofemoral and a walker in front of me would not have helped me. I needed something next to me, or what I was sitting on, to push on to get up.

But I never tried to turn the walker around and straddle it over the toilet behind me and use it that way to help me up.

5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Excellent!

But my 'must haves' were a leg lifter, a helping hand and an ice device of some sort - even if it's only ice packs.
    You can see them in the link Celle left you and this one Ice to control pain and swelling

leg lifter.jpg helping hand.jpg

knee-cuffbig.jpg gel packs mine.jpg

6. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Being in good shape helps a lot with getting up from sitting or laying down, so you're ahead of the game. I used assistive devices for about two weeks. I was walking well early on. But I did borrow (from a community member who keeps discarded medical equipment) a cane, crutches, two walkers and a raised toilet seat. I figured it would be better to have too much than too little.