BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Arthroscopy

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Nicknoc, May 5, 2018.

1. Nicknoc

Nicknoc member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    When people have had a hip replacement is it the general rule to have an arthroscopy first?
    I'm just wondering as for all the scans and xrays I've had an arthroscopy has never been mentioned. I'm not sure if they think they'd be unable to do it due to my weight.

I recall my original consultant talking about a procedure that he couldn't do as the instruments were only a certain length and if he thought it would help me he'd find a way to make the instruments long enough? This makes me wonder if it was an arthroscopy. I suppose my only option is to ask the new consultant when I see them at the end of the month.

My mum is determined to come with me to try to get them to change their mind about not doing hip surgery as my condition is deteriorating.

2. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi Nicknoc....I had to check that I knew what an arthroscopy was!

No, it wasn't even mooted to me. I had a dexa scan for osteoporosis, and the report mentioned (in passing) that I had OA in both hips. I asked my GP if I needed to do anything about this (had no idea I had OA. No apparent symptoms at that time) and she just sent me straight to the orthopod (maybe because I had private insurance?).

He said he didn't go much on the xray, but more on how it was affecting lifestyle and pain. By then I was starting to feel it and he indicated he was quite happy to book me in whenever I wanted. The whole procedure seemed extremely casual to me. I was expecting advice on lifestyle etc and maybe have to try the injections before they'd even consider THR but there was no testing or exploratory surgery at all.

Of course, I'm not in the UK now, but from what I've heard of the financial constraints on the NHS I wonder if they would want to spend more money on an arthrodesis? Good idea taking your mum with you.....it's sometimes easier for family to comment on how the condition is affecting you.

3. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    No it is not a general rule.
    Arthroscopy may be performed for tears in the Labrum, if arthritis develops at a later date they may need a THR.
    If you have arthritis, then a THR indicated.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Hip arthroscopy is only done for Femoro-Acetabular Impingement (FAI) which is a very different condition from arthritis.
    I don't follow his logic about this. If you have an arthritic hip joint, an arthroscopy wouldn't be a correct procedure to do. Not only that, but the instruments required for a scope are complex and extremely costly and I would bet my nurse's frilly cap that no health authority would sanction the creation of extra long instruments for this!

I see you live in Essex? I know Essex - lived in Harlow for about 24 years when I was an operating theatre manager. Are you going to Southend University Hospital? Who did you see there? It's likely I can find you a much more sympathetic surgeon if you want me to.

@anny do you really mean arthrodesis? Or was it supposed to be arthroscopy? Because no-one does arthrodedes these days as it's intention is to create a totally immobile hip!

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
  6. anny

anny graduate

New Zealand New Zealand
    :heehee: oops Josephine, my bad! Blame it on the brain cells that are still high from the GA (my story, anyway :wink:)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. cazmat

cazmat junior member

I had an arthroscopy. It was mainly diagnostic. It showed I do have arthritis which hadn’t shown on X-rays or MRI.
    I don’t think arthroscopies are that common and not that many surgeons do them.
    Think I will end up having a replacement in the not too distant future.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

8. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

All evidence to the contrary, @cazmat! Statistics show that Arthroscopy is about the most frequently performed orthopaedic procedure these days! They might not be done as diagnostic procedures but there are still heaps of other reasons to do them!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Wondering how things are with you, Nicknoc?
    I know you have follow up soon.
    Hope you get answers!

10. cazmat

cazmat junior member

For the hip? I know knee arthroscopy is common but I was referred from a large hospital to another surgeon as my original hospital does not do hip arthroscopy. I thought many surgeons were sceptical about the role and usefulness of hip arthroscopy?

Cazmat arthroscopy Feb 2017 (age 41)