• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Arthroscopy with possible PKR

Graham27

Country
United States United States
Hi, I'm feeling a bit confused on what is going to happen during my surgery. The MRI shows some thinning of my knee cap, baker cyst and a ganglion cyst. On one hand the Arthroscopy seems pretty straight forward with a much much shorter recovery time. On the other hand a PKR seems a bit over the top with a really long and painful recovery. Now I'm not sure how to prepare, I'm not really sure what to expect. Has anyone had this experience? Any advice?

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@Graham27 Welcome to BoneSmart! Arthroscopy is not necessarily a very short recovery. It would depend on how extensive the damage is and what exactly is done during the procedure.

And PKR isn't necessarily a long and painful recovery either. It's all about the skill of your surgeon and how you personally react to surgery.

I'll give you the recovery guidelines we give all our recovering knee members. I'm also going to tag my colleague on the knee side @Celle who might have more input for you.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
HI @Graham27
I've had both an arthroscopy and a PKR.

After the arthroscopy, my leg was tightly bandaged for about a week, so that I couldn't straighten it. Once the bandages were off, my leg felt very stiff at first, but by the end of the day it was bending normally.

A PKR is more serious surgery than an arthroscopy an recovery would take much longer. we recommend people take abut 12 weeks off work, and then do a Phased return to work .

Complete recovery from a PKR can take as long as a full year, but you should be able to do most things by about 3 months.

This is the approach to recovery from a PKR or a TKR that we recommend:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

kneeper

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
What is your surgeon recommending?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member