BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Arthritis shoulder Pain

Discussion in 'Shoulder surgery pre-op area' started by Atkinson8, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Atkinson8

Atkinson8 member

United States United States
    Greetings, I start this new thread because I’m not pre-op status. . . .yet! My left shoulder is compromised due to osteoarthritis which has deteriorated the cartilage in the humeral joint.

I’ve had knee and hip replacement on the same side (8 weeks post hip surgery). The first cortisone shot was effective, the second not at all. I plan on calling the OS tomorrow to see if a third is feasible.

Even if he proposed surgery right now, I’d rather not due to work (I just missed 6weeks because I’d the hip). Summer would be the soonest, but I’ll likely need the other hip done then. So if anyone has hints on how to manage, I’m all ears.

Right now I can raise my arm a little, about shoulder high with effort and a lot of creaking. I don’t lift with it or carry anything. It’s sort of a helper appendage. Sometimes it’s hard to put in earrings, contacts and wash my hair due to the angle but it’s my left arm and I’m a right, so thank goodness for that!

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Atkinson8 Thanks for starting your shoulder thread. I moved your post to the shoulder area so other members with shoulder issue can find you. Shoulder pre-op doesn't mean you are heading for surgery - just dealing with shoulder issues at this time.

3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I completely understand your situation as I have this problem in both shoulders! Most of the light switches in my house are just above shoulder level to putting lights on is often quite a struggle! As it all the things you mention including showering/drying, fastening my bra, reaching into high kitchen cupboards with items in my hand and so on.
    I've been having cortisone in both shoulders for around 10 years but usually about 4-6 months apart. Generally, they work well.
    My plan to cope is
    I never found ordinary pain killers to be much help except for mild aching, so I use a TENS machine for pain relief
    when attempting to put things away or get them from higher cupboards, keep the load as small as you can​

4. Atkinson8

Atkinson8 member

Update, now that my second hip is replaced, time to think about the shoulder. My plan is one more shot of cortisone then learn my option (s) for a more permanent solution to be scheduled in June. Let’s see if the surgeon agrees with my timeline.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Best wishes as you move forward!

6. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

Good luck! I'm glad you were able to work around the bad shoulder. I'm headed off to finally get my left shoulder replaced on February 22. I had to put my surgery off for about 3 years and the surgeon has told me that will likely make my full recovery more difficult because of muscle shortening. Yuk! But sometimes we have to do these things as the time just isn't right for the replacement. In my case, I was caring for my husband and could not be "out of commission" for shoulder recovery.

7. Atkinson8

Atkinson8 member

Thanks all. I go see the OS on Thursday, 3/6 so will have a more definitive plan then. I’ll let you know!

8. Atkinson8

Atkinson8 member

Greetings! The good news is, I’m not imagining things. The shoulder is totally gone on bone and needs replacement. Monday we’ll schedule the surgery for June (my choice to delay; I don’t want to miss any more work this year). Day to day this seems manageable as I really don’t /can’t use my left arm at all. It’s tricky going some times, but I’ve adapted somewhat. I’m just glad there’s something that can be done to improve the situation, although I know there’s really no solution to osteoarthritis. I’m just grateful it’s my left shoulder that’s affected, and that I’m right handed! :praying:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Best wishes for a good recovery!

10. Jamie

Jamie ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

You'll be joining our growing ranks of TSR members! We're getting quite a club together here. I don't think it will make any difference for you to have the surgery now or delay it until June. Like you, I had reasons to put mine off for a couple of years (I was caring for my husband) and I was lucky enough that it was my left arm and I didn't have a lot of pain. On the other hand, some patients do experience significant pain when their shoulders go bad, so I consider us lucky. This is great surgery that can restore most, if not all, of your range of motion.

So, just baby it until your surgery day and you should do fine.