Arthritis in other joints?

NDSunshine

Country
United States United States
How do docs diagnose this? Always x-rays? The surgeon asked did I have any nearby joints with arthritis. Uummm, not that I know of? Why is that important, and what nearby joints? I know my spine has arthritis, but I don't think about it much.

??confused??

I'm not sure why he asked about other joints, so would only be guessing. My knee doctor (not a surgeon) diagnosed my arthritic knees using X-rays, history (one knee first developed chronic pain after an injury that led to cartilage erosion), pain levels, and what types of activities caused the pain. As diagnoses go, arthritis is fairly straightforward. X-rays were what showed the knees to be bone-on-bone, which is why I was handed off to a surgeon, because there was nothing else my knee guy could do for them.

As we age, most people get arthritis in the joints. I too have some in my back, though not bad or causing any problems. X-rays showed that, too.

Next time you see the surgeon, ask him why he asked about arthritis in other joints. Maybe he was wondering if you had arthritic hips which might act up with knee surgery, or bad ankles. I think his answer would be interesting.

I will ask, thanks. No bad joints except my knees. My right knee, the one most damaged, has been hurting since I was 23, then the accident 8 years ago pretty much wrote the ticket.

I don't like when people put things down to "as we get older". I'm not at all in denial about the process. Just look for concrete reasons for things. Not just lumping issues into the age basket.

Love ;)

I still felt great at 50 years old! Even at age 60, I was still doing all that I wanted to do. Was told many years ago, arthritis in feet but didn't stop me. Now at age 65, I do feel the effects of aging, that nothing can reverse. There is just no comparison to how I felt at 40 or 50 to how I feel now. :-( Sorry NDSunshine, nobody wants to hear the age thing, and remarkably, some lucky people with great genetics never have to deal with much of anything more than a headache once in a great while, then poof they are gone. I am still trying to figure out HOW I am going to get better. Not discounting surgery, but right now it's impossible, for a variety of reasons.

P.S. MY arthritis was also diagnosed with pain level, X-rays, results of PT. etc.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom