THR Arrived

Hipster5280

Country
United States United States
Hi you’ll! I found out about this resource at Christmas and have gotten helpful information about hip recovery. I had my left hip replaced November 21…how do I get added to the Nov. list?
Is swimming okay to do at this point in my recovery or is there risk for dislocation? Also curious what experience anyone has had with numbness? Thanks

Welcome!
Generally swimming is allowed at around 3 months post op but check with your OS. You will experience numbness now and then for awhile, I'm just about one year post op and still get a little numbness now and then.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for joining us. I will leave our Recovery Guidelines and post more below.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

As you begin healing, please keep in mind that each recovery is unique. While the BoneSmart philosophy successfully works for many, there will be exceptions. Between the recommendations found here, your surgeon's recovery protocol and any physical therapy you may engage in, the key is to find what works best for you.

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Hi again!
We will add you to the November team thread. I'd advise you connect with your surgeons office to see what he advises in regard to swimming. It does vary from surgeon to surgeon. Mine was one of the more strict and advised against any body of water from baths, hot tubs, pools, lakes etc until three months post op. Others are released much earlier.

Numbness is normal and can take months to go away.
Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerves run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

I will leave an article on dislocation that you may find interesting -
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
If interested there are a couple more articles on Dislocation in the BoneSmart Library - Library Index

Hope this helps. I wish you well as you continue healing. Stop back often, we'll be here. :)

Is swimming okay to do at this point in my recovery or is there risk for dislocation?
You need to get your surgeon's approval for swimming. Only your surgeon knows your medical situation.

Oh yes it is very cold where I am as well! -2! I want to be ready when I get a green light! I believe swimming might offer a little relief to my next bad hip.

Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Are you swimming yet? Whether you are, or not, I hope you're doing well.
Let us know how your recovery is going as time allows.
Take Care!
@Hipster5280

@Hipster5280 - for info (but check with your OS) I was told at 6 weeks in uk that swimming was ok as long as I didn’t slip and fall poolside and NO breastroke (ever) - uk, posterior thr.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back