Revision TKR ArmyVet's recovery thread<<

:heehee: Well, you knew where I was going with that question....you're ahead of me.

So, you're telling me that you can only see the one surgeon the VA recommends and you have no other alternatives? And, if that's true, I'm going to guess that you've already gone the route of trying to get the VA Patient Advocate involved to be able to get to the bottom of the loosening.

The bottom line is you've had implants loosen quickly twice. You need to be assured that whatever doctor you're working with has identified the problem as to why this is happening and has a good plan to ensure it doesn't happen again. Since you've not had infections (I assume you were tested for that), it can be tricky to find the reason for aseptic loosening. But with it happening to you this fast both times, someone should be looking into the "why" instead of just putting in another revision.

Hello ArmyVet from one Vet to another....I served about 40 years ago :heehee:

My husband is retired Army and through Community Care he was able to get a second opinion, it was in the same clinic however....Maybe the clinic at Vanderbilt would work with your current surgeon to do some brain storming over this issue?? I certainly hope they can do some joint work (no pun intended) and put their brains together on this one!?

Well.... 2 days after my 2nd revision. This one has been more painful than the first 2 COMBINED!!!

Ya'll would have been proud of me- the therapist came into my room, and INSISTED that my heel needed to be raised, and then he started pressing my knee down to the bed-- I told him to get the :censored: out of my room, and I never wanted to see him again!!! I KNOW how to get my leg straight thanks to all of you here, and the fact that this was the 3rd time I was doing this!!!

Anyway, since I got out of the hospital, all I am doing is snacking, peeing, taking my meds, and then going back to sleep. Very little motivation in these early days.
Here's my newest badge of honor...
20200619_164453.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad to hear you're doing well and I love that you told that PT to keep his hands off you! Even though you've been here, done that, I'm still going to leave you your very own copy of.......you guessed it.......The Recovery Guidelines!

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Last edited:
@ArmyVet
Welcome back to the other side!

Sounds like you are doing well and have things under control, including the aggressive PT.

Day 7 after surgery. Still swollen, and the blisters I had after the 2nd surgery are back!! They pop when they are ready, then seem to fill up all over again!!

Doing a LOT more sleeping this time. I always read here that every recovery is different. I thought it just varied by person- or knee on that same person. I never thought each revision recovery would be different!! I am able to walk short distances, like to my car from my apartment, but walking the dog is not happening yet, as much as I wish I could! I did make my husband breakfast to say thanks for taking care of me, but cooking while sitting in a chair isn't comfortable!! Its the thought that counts, right??

Staples come out July 2. I dread that hour at the doc!! Hoping I can get the nurse to use the freeze spray on each section as she removes them, because those darn things HURT coming out!!

Other than that, it's just ADL. I can do this. I can relax and allow myself to heal. I know somewhere, my body has the patience gene. It just needs to hurry up and find it!!!

I know what you mean-my TKR and revision recoveries were night and day. I also get the staple thing-all 46 of mine hurt like the dickens, and had me in tears, so now my OS uses glue or, in my upcoming surgery, has said he'll use glue if it'll hold both sites together, or nylon (I think he said nylon) sutures if needed.

I'm glad to hear you're chillin' and just doing ADLs, it shows you really do have patience and are allowing your body to heal. Although the breakfast thing was pushing it, IMHO.

I hope the blisters will soon settle down as I can imagine those are no fun. Keep us posted as you recover.

20200702_110521.jpg Screenshot_20200702-125004_Drive.jpg

First pic is my knee after the staples were removed today. 2nd pic is a pic of my new implant, and yes, I have the cones!

Anybody else had this type of implant and would you tell me about it?? Other than this recovery being worse for pain so far than the 1st two COMBINED, I can completely straighten my leg already, and I have 100 degrees of flexion says the doc.

Looking good and it appears to have very little swelling. I'm sorry to hear about the pain. Are you icing enough? It's a great pain reliever.

I did make my husband breakfast to say thanks for taking care of me, but cooking while sitting in a chair isn't comfortable!! Its the thought that counts, right??
It was a nice thought,but watch that you're not trying to do too much, too soon. I don't think cooking is on the recommended agenda yet.

Yes, it is a challenge to get even the simple meals together early on. Just getting from freezer to microwave! :heehee: You can let your husband continue to pamper you a bit for now.

For the 1st time ever, I had insomnia last night. Could have been caused by pain, because my knee hurt, even with ice and elevation on top of pain pill. I sure do hope this was it, and it won't happen again!! I've NEVER had problems sleeping, unless you count sleeping too much!!!

Pain at night is usually an indication that you've done too much during the day. Try to cut back on your activities and go by our activity guide. Your knee will need even more TLC since it has been through so much in a little over 2 years. Baby it like the newborn baby it is!

@sistersinhim

Could you possibly help with a question I have??

I am now 4 weeks post surgery. I live at "sea level"- but I am currently visiting the Great Smoky Mountains in Gatlinburg, TN, and my baby knee will not stop hurting!! Could it be the change in altitude that is causing pain??

Thanks!!!

I believe with a knee as young as yours, everything affects it. The traveling, the changes in barometric pressure, the higher humidity or the lower humidity, the heat or the cold, everything like that will make a baby knee fuss. I bet you are doing more than you had been doing now and probably aren't icing and elevating enough.

You had your second revision in less than a year. It's going to take extra time and gentleness for these injured tissues to recover. Ice and elevate as much as you can. After my tkr the only thing I was able to do at a month out was to go to church and then back home. I'm amazed that you are trying this at such a short time out. Do you still have pain meds? If not, Tylenol will help relieve some of the pain. Be sure you don't go over 4,000mg in 24 hours. You have to count everything you are taking that has Tylenol in it so you won't go over the 4,000mg.

Three months tomorrow after my 2nd revision of my original TKR in May, 2018. Yep, an original TKR in 2018, 1st revision in 2019, and now 2nd revision of the SAME knee in June of 2020.

This has been a LONG road. My medial plateau of my tibia did not seem to like the implant the first two times, and now I have a Stryker Triathalon. So far, I can already complain, but while it is NOT as bad as the first two, I am still having trouble with this one. Pain on the sides of the new baby knee.. C Reactive Protein level HIGH... new xrays and more blood work in 2 weeks. NO swelling noticed. UGH!!

I don't get this, and neither do my docs!! I heal extremely fast after the surgery. I get full flexion and extension crazy fast. I stop taking the opioids after 2 weeks. I do what bonesmart has told me- ADL as tolerated. I have a 14 year old dog that needs a walk a few times a day, but he mostly stands and stares out the back door, so it's not like I'm walking far.

I guess it just feels good to vent. I can't mentally do another revision, let alone I don't think my leg could handle any more. I'm sick of "taking it easy" on my legs. I want to be "normal"- I just want to be able to walk without pain or worrying my knee will give out... sigh...

@ArmyVet I am so sorry you are still dealing with this blooming knee. Have you thought about seeing a different surgeon - one that has no connections to your current OS? This must be so frustrating for you!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member