Arkansas Hip Revised

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the Exparel that was injected during surgery has officially worn off. Doc said it would last 48 to 72 hours. 48 hours for me. Nothing that the pain meds won't take of, but the party is over. Having a relatively good day with my Mom waiting on me. She makes a killer vegetable beef soup.

Just be sure and keep taking those pain meds on schedule. It's important to stay ahead of the pain at this stage! Lucky you - Mom waiting on you and homemade soup!

For those waiting, after surgery for BM, rest assured it will occur. Follow the advice given here and wait patiently. Let nature take its course. The reward is relief! :OhWhataReliefItIs:

Hi @ARHip, with your philosophy and faith, I wish you full recovery. Just a few articles for you to read when you feel up to it.. Vegetable beef soup - perfect :)

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

But first the BoneSmart mantra

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock

- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone, especially a physiotherapist to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

And then the very important hip recovery articles.....

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Cheers, Poppet.

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.

Growing up, I learned through the mistakes of my older brother. If he got in trouble, I would not do it. Maybe you can learn from my mistake:

This morning I found I could walk unaided, holding the walker a few inches above the floor. No, the walker is staying with me. Besides, I'm trapped to it, because it holds my CECT device (air pump that massages my legs). Yet, I gained confidence this morning.

Confidence, beware!

I chose to take a long shower this morning. It felt so good. Then I began having that tired feeling. Tiredness changed to lightheadedness. Lightheadedness changed to queasiness. I sat down on the shower seat and began knocking in the wall. Next thing I knew, I was dreaming with the sound of my wife in the background. I woke up sitting down on the floor of the shower with my wife straightening out my leg. I had kept enough sense to keep my hip straight, but my knee was twisted. No damage done. While I was in that precarious position, and choosing to stay right where I was, we decided to take the alcohol and rub off the iodine (left from surgery) that had been poured over my whole leg. Once that operation was done, we slowly got myself off the floor, dried off, dressed and into bed. Plan to stay here for a while, until I find that place of strength I had this morning.

But a word of wisdom, beware of your friend confidence. He is a good friend, but he can fool you!

Dizziness is very common post op. This is exactly why we usually recommend that people who live alone wait to show until a friend or relative can be on hand just in case. Two steps forward, one step back. Glad you were not hurt!

A Hippies Hymn:

Chorus:
Feet up, exercises, ice, pain meds. Feet up, exercises, ice, pain meds. That's how the world goes around.
(Repeat)

Good book, a movie or two, eat well, correspond with friends. This is how us Hippies live.

(Chorus)

Chicken Parmesan, Vegetable Beef Stew; BBQ Sandwich followed by a Colace or Two.

(Chorus)

Friends come by, a call or two received, cards received in the mail, Thank You's to send.

(Chorus)

... I must have too much time on my hands! :Grin: LoL

@ARHip I love this! Very creative your are.
Glad you are feeling chipper after the shower ordeal. Yay!

Cute!

Let me refine you explanations a little
the ceramic head was a plastic "swivel" (can't remember the technical name - but it is a harder plastic than what they had 10 years ago
That 'swivel' is the plastic liner in the metal shell. The two together make the cup or socket.

THR components.jpg

Modern plastic is now ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene and also cross linked meaning it's denser and the atoms 'hold hands' to make it stronger as well! :heehee:

UHMWPE.JPG

Amen amen and amen!!!!!! Go for it thank you for posting this.

More! More!!! It's fun!

It has now been a week since surgery. I have made good headway, now being able to walk around the house. I'm using a walker, more like a cane, just to have the support if needed.

On my walker, during the day, is attached a C.E.C.T. System that I have to keep with me at least 23 hours a day. Instead of tight (TED) stockings and cumiden to keep blood clots at bay, the CECT uses an air compression system around my calfs. Cool device but it is an absolute "ball and chain." I have to keep this albatross with me another week and a half, until Jan 31, when I have my follow-up appointment with my doctor. It also makes a pumping noise that is quite loud at night. I put the pump under a tub, then under the bed so we can get some sleep. To say the least, even if I was able, because of the CECT, I'm pretty well home-bound.

Pain is lite to moderate, depending on the last time pain meds were taken. I can tell if I stayed away from them I would begin hurting badly; so I take them by schedule and keep a cold pack on my hip. That issue is under control.

Through church friends we are well supplied with food. We are grateful for this support, especially since My wife and the kids are committed to working the concession stand at school during many evenings. We tried to put surgery off till that commitment was over, but my hip did not cooperate. My mother is able to come over through the week while my wife is at work and kids are at school to be sure I stay out of trouble (I have promised no wild parties while home alone).

Overall, all is OK. Come Jan 31, I should get an idea when I can begin returning to slow, but normal activities.

count your blessings 1.jpg
@ARHip, your recovery is coming along just fine. And every week that goes by, you will feel better and better (provided you don't get carried away and over do your activities and exercise). Hip is in charge--so just have the PATIENCE to give him the TIME he needs to heal and get back to "normal".

Take care and keep us posted. We care.

BoneSmart
(With apologies to Rawhide)

Healing, Healing, Healing
BoneSmart

Though the joints are swollen
Keep them doggies healing
BoneSmart

Rain and wind and weather
Having to stay inside
Glad my gal is by my side

All the things I'm missin'
Walking, dancing, working
Are waiting on the other side

Walk 'em on, ice 'em up
Ice 'em up, walk' em on
Walk 'em on, ice 'em up
BoneSmart

Don't do that, pain meds in
Pain meds in, don't do that
Ice is out, pain meds in
BoneSmart

Keep moving, moving, moving
Though they're stiffening
Keep them doggies healing
BoneSmart

Don't try to understand 'em
Just ice, rest and pamper 'em
Soon we'll be living high and wide

My heart calculatin'
My true love is a'coming
She a'coming to pull off TED stockings
Walk 'em on, ice 'em up
Ice 'em up, walk' em on
Walk 'em on, ice 'em up
BoneSmart

Ice is out, pain meds in
BoneSmart

Walk 'em on, ice 'em up
Ice 'em up, walk' em on
Walk 'em on, ice 'em up
BoneSmart

Ice is out, pain meds in
BoneSmart

BoneSmart

This came to mind after watching John Wayne in Rio Bravo. Why? ... I have no earthly idea! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads