TKR Arizona2003's TKR Feb. 17, 2020 Recovery Thread

I am usually warm most of the time, I’m the only one in my senior bowling league who bowls in sleeveless tops all winter, but for a couple of months after this surgery I was cold. My friends were shocked to see me wearing long sleeve tops (before I went back to bowling)

I would think all the icing we do contributes to it, and I also wonder if it is a physical reaction to the trauma of surgery.

I was cold all the time, too. I had blankets nearby to cover up all the time. In fact, when using the Berg ice machine at night, I would take a warm blanket, fold it in fourths and wrap around the circulating cold water pad on my knee. My husband would laugh at all the blankets I had piled up on me to sleep at night. But I didn’t care, I hate being cold. I’d rather be a little to warm then to cold. Take care of yourself and stay safe.

Thanks as usual for all the advice and well wishes. As I live in Arizona you would think that being cold would never be a problem but I am at my computer in a hoodie. I do warm up and even get hot if I am outside and the day is warm. So thanks again..

I had my knees done in the summer. I remember using my winter fleecy blanket while I was icing. I would go outside in to warm up.

My replacement was in June and we had a heatwave, but I was cold all the time. I went out on the deck in the sun to warm up. My next replacement I'll buy a heated wrap to help me stay warm, especially at night.

Question about infections. My doc says that I should do anti-bionics prior to any medical work. That makes sense. My question is should that include a visit to a dermatologist who will probably find something to remove? And if you take drugs for this,what about all the little cuts and scrapes we are get from time to time?

I think your surgeon is being super-cautious.
Yes, if you have major surgery, taking antibiotics is probably a good idea - but not for minor treatments.
Taking prophylactic antibiotics "just in case" is one of the reasons why we now have so many antibiotic-resistant antibiotics.

A good clean with soap and water is all you need for minor cuts and scrapes.

And both the surgeons' association and the dental association have agreed that taking antibiotics prior to routine dental work isn't necessary:
Dental antibiotics: Evidence insufficient to recommend prophylactic antibiotics for dental procedures

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom