THR Ariel back on his feet (almost)

Congrats! We were the same day! However you were far more brave than I. I don’t think I could have handled being awake for the reconstruction project. Best wishes to you on a speedy recovery! And best advice is I Ice and elevate.

Wow, what a nightmare you experienced straight out of surgery. I'm sorry you had to begin your recovery like that. Hopefully now that you're in the peace and quiet of your own home, you'll get the rest you deserve.
I hope today is a good day!
@Ariel

Cool that they let you stay awake. I came to towards the end of my surgery. I wasn’t scared at all, just very interested in what was going on in the other side of the curtain. I must have drifted off again because next memory is in recovery room.

What an awful hospital experience you had @Ariel ! I am now feeling glad that I am going to a private hospital for my op (still with the NHS, but that's how they reduce waiting lists here), whereas I had been feeling disappointed that I would have nobody to chat to! You must be so relieved to be home. All the best for a great recovery now.

hope today is a good day!
It was a lot better than yesterday thank you (and thank you all for your comments)I have been keeping the ice packs on all afternoon and the swelling had viably decreased over the last few hours despite me now having a very wet leg (ice pack not bladder). I ate a decent breakfast and am hungry again now so will be tucking into a pre frozen curry soon. once I have eaten I will walk over the road to see the two girls who had brought me some supper last night. When I eventually got to the door they looked terrified and I must have looked a sight, I had been asleep for hours and was pale and soaked in sweat, thawed ice and possibly urine.

Oh Ariel.
The hospital experience sounds horrid...doesn't it just make you happy you could go home unlike some of those poor souls who are still there?

I do hope across the road is not far...lots of energy being directed to healing at this time.
Hoping this week is a healing restorative week for you.

The medical experience was faultless, the problem was abusive patients, this was a problem that also manifested on my first THR in 2011 when one man was visited by management due to him racially abusing a member of staff.
I wrote the following in another place last night and wonder if it may not be considered as a sticky, after some modification?

"If you are in hospital you will notice that all staff will be wearing a badge (If they do not have a badge they are a consultant, intruder or a surgeon). The badge will have at least two important pieces of information on it.... The person's name and their job tittle. Please ask them how they would like to be addressed, this is a curtesy that will have been extended to you early in your stay. You are embarrassing yourself if you think all female members of staff should be referred to as Nurse as was a Jnr Doctor was who was treating me, it is also not good manners to interrupt her conversation with her patient to demand a slice of
toast.".

I am doing the amount of walking that I feel comfortable with, my Fitbit tells me I managed 437 steps yesterday but it did leave me tired out and falling asleep in front of the TV last night!

Been home for three nights now and the change is unbelievable considering the washed out dishcloth I was on Sunday evening.Took a very slow walk (two hours) to my local chain supermarket this afternoon to get essentials (a bottle of beer) and make sure that I can manage the distance as I need to visit my GP to get a dressing changed in the morning (bus and walk). Settled down to enjoy the aforementioned beer in front of my favourite TV program to mixed results as I have spent most of the last three hours asleep.

Took a very slow walk (two hours) to my local chain supermarket this afternoon to get essentials (a bottle of beer) and make sure that I can manage the distance as I need to visit my GP to get a dressing changed in the morning (bus and walk)
Wish someone could have gotten your essentials for you.:unsure:
Just because you can doesn't mean you should.:umm:
I don't know when you have to go to post-op appointment, but a week can make a great deal of difference in healing.
Your body could be using that 3 hours of energy you expended on trying to heal up all the disturbed soft tissue.
Please assume the position:ice:
:beg:Don't like to see you pushing this hip.

Last edited:
They could have but I needed to get out and work some muscle, we all heal differently and this is my way. I know my own mind and body and looking after them both is equally important to me. We will see how I do but I am very happy with my recovery so far. Still using plenty of elevation and ice and waiting for the bruising to come out and the swelling to go down ( it is already getting less).

All said with concern and not admonishment.
Indeed each recovery is different...if you know you are being mindful and good to yourself, that's all that matters.
Hope you get some good restorative sleep tonight.

Oh no....you need a caregiver. Bottle of beer :yikes: two hour walk :yikes:
You're only five days post op, this is unsettling.
Is there an option of a nurse stopping by to address your wound? I really worry that you're
overdoing it and will end up in the dreaded ODIC (Over Did It Club)
Hopefully with lots of icing and rest you feel okay in the morning.
@Ariel

Look and see what a good patient is doing during the first week.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Took a very slow walk (two hours)
Indeed you will recover in your own way. But take it from those who have been there before you. This is way too much for so early out.

I never said I am good. Each to their own, I prepared for this by working out hard before going into surgery in view of having a hard recovery because that is what suits me. the option of a nurse attending is not an option and if it was it is one I would refuse (vigorously). I do not recommend or advocate my methods but put them here for record only.

Ok, you're right, your recovery / your way.
There will be no more gasping images, nor helpful hints, nor ideas, or even "told you so's" (from me)
when you're in pain, feeling miserable and falling behind in your recovery. That's a promise.
Carry on, well just frolic around you.
Wishing you all the best taking the road less traveled :wave:
@Ariel

Well getting to the Dr this morning was a pain in the butt. As I was walking to the bus stop a neighbour stopped me and asked some well meaning but time consuming questions that resulted in me missing my bus by seconds, the next bus got me there on time but very hot and sweaty after a 150M "sprint" on crutches. The Nurse was very happy with my healing and my Dr came in just to see how I was and was pleased with my mobility levels. Next bus was ok and I have learned which seats I can use comfortably, rather than going home I went into the city centre and to the train station to buy a four week bus pass as I will not be able to drive until July ( a pass is the cheap option here as opposed to the day ticket I used today). I tried to restrict my day's activity but my Fitbit is reading higher than I had intended but my new pass is not valid until Friday so I an going to try and have a rest day photographing invertebrates in my garden tomorrow.
Thank you Layla and others, I am doing well and getting where I intend to be

Last edited:
Quick question for the UK based. When should I start formal physio at the hospital rather than the exercises I was sent home with? Remembering my previous op it was shortly after having the staples removed but I know that some of the British protocols have changed since then.

I had my first physio just after 2 weeks post op and then every 2 weeks until just after 3 months - NHS but in a private hospital (Spire).

Each session was 30 minutes. Physio checked the hip and range of movement and suggested 2 or 3 new exercises to progress to. My physio kept on telling me to do less and reined in my recovery expectations.

UK NHS physio seems very different to some of the US PT from reading reports here.

Thank you, that sounds similar to what happened in 2011. Although private the protocols will be the same so I just wait for my appointment now.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom