THR Are We There Yet?

Ah, another day here in Snowtown! Good news is that I think it's a tad bit warmer this morning, and perhaps a bit of rain instead of snow. It's still going to take awhile to get rid of all the white stuff but, as with slow hip recovery, one has to look on the bright side--it's maybe a bit of progress! I went to the gym with my husband yesterday, and did a long, slow trudge on the elliptical--like, 60 minutes plus a 5 minute cooldown. Because I did it fairly slowly, without much incline, it really didn't bother my hips and, hey, I had a lot of time to fill up as my husband's workouts are always much longer than mine. We showered at the gym and then home for a long, cold (more rotten snow fell in late afternoon--groan) rest of the day. I curled up with my Kindle, an Icelandic mystery novel from the library, and struggled a bit--the Icelandic names of all the characters were long and unpronounceable, and hard to keep track of! Finished the book before lights out and I slept well, although unaccountably woke up at 5:30 this morning. Tried to stay in bed even though awake, but finally got up at 6:45 and trundled downstairs. No newspaper, again, due to inclement weather conditions, so just made my morning latte and watched the morning news, full of grim stories about cars and trucks stuck in the wet, miserable mess in our area. Glad I'm not out there!

Was a bit concerned that hips would be aching this morning after my long workout, but feeling pretty good overall. Will skip the gym today and just do home PT exercises. Husband, brave and intrepid soul that he is, will go to the gym again, I'm sure, and then he needs to drive me to the grocery store as we need to replenish some provisions. My Pilates class got canceled this morning, as well as my book group meeting tonight, so another day basically hanging out with a lot of expletives deleted as I contemplate the soggy mess in our yard. So, so tired of this! I know it's horrid in your neck of the woods, @Layla, and sounds like it's going to continue for awhile--can't imagine living where you or @Carriemay60 do, your winters sound so grim! If just a week's worth of ugly weather is turning me into a total grouch, I can hardly think about what months on end might do! You and your husband were brave to get out and drive an hour each way to visit someone, and I'm sure your friend very much appreciated it.

Bummer about the uncooperative boiler, @SurreyGirl. Sounds like maybe a replacement might be needed? Having a boiler go out in winter does not sound like fun. I am sure you're bundled up, appropriately so, but that's not a long term solution. And, PS, all games are more fun with booze! I used to play Bridge a zillion years ago, and I am a terrible player--but somehow managed to improve my game when we drank, or maybe the other players just sunk down to my level, who knows.

I guess we get used to the long cold, snowy Winters. It's either that, or move out of Dodge.
Not ready to do that with my kids and grand kids close by.
The scary commute was to a wake / visitation, whatever you prefer. Didn't feel we had much choice in the matter since it was a friend's mom who passed away. You do what you have to do.
It was a nerve wracking drive, some of this > :praying: especially after seeing the 12 car pile up. Very scary and they had to shut the freeway down because of it. I don't know about anyone else who lives in snowy, icy, slippery Winter climates but I'm way more fearful driving, even walking, since THR. I think twice about going outdoors some days.
Hope you have a good one BarbaraJ. I'll guarantee I know who holds onto the snow longer :heehee:
@Barbaraj

Both your weather experiences put our puny snow in the south of the uk to shame.

Boiler still off so sitting here with three layers on and two hot water bottles warming up the bed.

Swimming at the health club cancelled as my friend had a puncture on her way home so rescheduled for next week. I did get a walk in a lunchtime today plus did my exercises so not all lost.

@Layla that driving sounds terrifying. Glad you were ok!

Thanks @SurreyGirl. It certainly was frightening on Sunday.

My original injury was a fall in Jamaica when I broke my leg (I swear I had not yet had a drink that day ~ well, except maybe my all inclusive mimosa with breakfast a few hours prior) :loveshwr: Then another fall broke the hip. I still have an almost unreasonable fear of falling almost 5 years later and my husband has not entirely gotten over it either. The thing that surprised me in the year or so following the hip fall was being in traffic. If another car got close, I would really jump. Thankfully, I wasn't cleared to drive then but this kind of trauma can really stick with us. I watch every step I take, probably to the point of ridiculous.
In October (the day after our furnace packed in) my husband literally got picked up in our little car by an 18 wheel truck and thrown into a spin across 4 lanes of highway traffic. The car was destroyed but somehow he didn't have a scratch or a pain.
Can't remember what my point was now, LOL The loneliness of immobility is messing with my head! :flwrysmile:

Happy to report that a lot of rain yesterday definitely made the edges of the snow blanket a bit ragged and dirty. However, the road in front of our house wasn't ploughed and lots of icy, slushy snow out there. I was so nervous driving with my husband on our road, we were slip sliding away and it made me very uncomfortable. It is only three houses down from our house, so not a long way to go until we got onto the main road which was wet but clear, having been ploughed yesterday. I am still opting to stay inside today, as I simply don't trust myself out there. @Layla, do you ever drive in the winter? It's so long in your part of the world, that unless you're able to drive in snow I suspect you'd be trapped for weeks if not months on end! I can totally understand not wanting to move away with children and grandchildren in the area, but it seems a tough part of the world to live in. You freeze your tushie off all winter long and then fend off mosquitoes during the summer! We had friends who lived there for several years and while there are many wonderful things about the great state of Minnesota "Land of 1000 Lakes", the weather can be, uh, challenging!

Repair person still hasn't come to fix that miserable boiler, @SurreyGirl? Sheesh, sounds awful. But maybe you'll shiver a pound off or so with those frigid temperatures! It really doesn't sound like much fun, and fingers crossed that you'll have heat soon. Glad you were able to get out for a walk and able to do your exercises, keep moving and you'll be okay, I'm convinced.

Oh, @Carriemay60, I think everyone suffers from the mental stress of immobility. I hope you feel better soon. It can be so frustrating to not be able to do what you want and when you want--we've all been in that place and it's NOT FUN! I can well imagine that you are very careful and cautious due to your original injuries. I think I'd be the same, and there is nothing wrong with being deliberate and careful. I never suffered a fall, but I must say post-surgery I am much more aware of the possibility of falling, something I do not want to do, and it's probably responsible in part for my staying inside right now for the most part. I feel as if my operated hip is pretty stable, but sliding on the ice is definitely a possibility and I imagine how awful it might be if I fell.

Company coming for dinner tonight so I'd better get moving. Bread to bake, fancy apple cake to be made, etc. Cleaning lady decided not to brave the elements so I guess I've got to clean the house today as well--oh, joy. Have a great day, anyone who might read this!

YES! I do drive in Winter. Actually most days. You get used to it and take it slower.
I will admit that I don't like the weather here. Fall is my favorite season, second Spring.
We always seem to get cheated out of both though by either the hot humid Summer encroaching on my beloved Fall, or Winter lingering into Spring. :tantrum2: It's not uncommon to have extreme heat / humidity during the Summer and extreme cold in the Winter. Ideally I wish I lived someplace like San Francisco where the temp was moderate year round.

With all the talk about cold / snow, slipping, sliding, falling, I need to share some COMIC RELIEF about the ridiculousness of it all. A daily hearty laugh is good for us all. The only way I can equate this to hips is you need to be all the more cautious walking outdoors in this weather and for those who feel affected and achiness in the prosthetic area during cold weather, you most likely won't want to visit this part of the world. At least not during the Winter.

Stay warm!

Ha, ha--enjoyed the comic relief, @Layla. If you didn't laugh about this occasionally, you'd be in major funk by now, especially since you're just in the middle of winter now, with weeks more to go, I'm guessing. Our snow is fading rapidly, with daily doses of rain, but I love rain right now, and not sorry at all to see this miserable white stuff disappearing! Glad to know you've mastered driving in winter weather, brave woman. I suppose if I lived where you did I'd have to figure that out. For now, with snow a rare occurrence in the PNW, I just rely on my chauffeur husband to drive me around when needed.

Right hip is feeling sore this morning for some reason, hope I didn't overdo it at the gym yesterday. I suspect I might have--even though elliptical on fairly low incline and resistance, I was on for 45 minutes. The top of my hip, in the groin area, is aching and moving a bit slowly today. We're off east of the mountains for a "fun" long weekend (skiing for my husband, reading and being with my daughter and grandkids) which involves a 3-1/2 hour drive--ugh. I will have to be helped from the car upon arrival at our destination, I think.

Well, off to do laundry and pack. Having lunch with a friend before we head out, which should be fun. I am not really looking forward to the weekend, as would selfishly be much happier staying at home and vegging out, but sometimes we all must do things we're not excited about to keep love and harmony alive in our relationship/marriage. Onwards, and happy Friday!

Safe travels @Barbaraj ! Can you stop along the way to get out a stretch a bit. That's a long drive for anyone but especially someone with a grumpy hip!

Safe travels. A fun long weekend in the mountains sounds wonderful.
Enjoy!
@Barbaraj

@Barbaraj I always pack myself in ice anytime I'm in the car, even on short outings. Agree with @Jaycey regarding taking a stretch break. Glad to hear you are getting some rain rather the snow, we got about 3 inches in the last couple of days, more on the way later today. Hubbie is grumbling about all the rain but I say it's wonderful. California lakes and reservoirs really needed this. Good to know you will have an enjoyable afternoon with friends before leaving. I can sympathize about wanting to veg out rather than going on a weekend trip. At this point in my recovery I only enjoy short outings, dinner or movie, not up to doing both together yet. I am amazed at all the parties, etc. you have gone to. I am hoping to feel up to going to a St. Patrick Day's party at my son and daughter-in-law's house. Have been going to movies for the past month and have just started to be able to really enjoy them, as long as the theater has the recliners. Finally, no discomfort after sitting for the entire movie.:egypdance: Also, as long as a restaurant's seating is comfortable, I now really enjoy a meal out. Will you be able to steal away for some time to yourself even though you will be with family?

Well, back from snowy central Washington, four days of wintery "fun" in a small condo with six of us--me, husband, daughter, son-in-law and two grandkids, with grandkids sleeping on our bedroom floor in sleeping beds--need I say more?! It was a good vacation, although not my favorite time of year to do anything other than hunker down with a good book whilst sending sour looks through my windows at the grey skies and rain. Hurray up, spring! Once we returned home Tuesday and did mega loads of laundry on Wednesday, we had the grandkids again yesterday. Husband (Mr. Allegedly Retired) craftily scheduled an all day meeting and left the house by 7:00 AM. We had the grandkids spend the night to avoid having my son-in-law drop them off before work, so I spent the whole day trying to keep them busy--craft stamping project, granola making, card making (their daddy's birthday is in March), picnic lunch in front of the fireplace, etc.. I was doing a lot of bending and stooping yesterday, so despite no gym and no PT exercises I was tired by the time the kidlets were dropped off back home. My husband, who'd arrived home by then, wanted to go out to dinner as he'd not eaten anything all day, so we drove to a nearby restaurant for a lovely meal which I didn't have to make or clean up after--I was so down with that! I actually slept well last night, no half hour's worth of rolling around trying to find a comfortable position for sleep. Nothing like a day of babysitting to zonk me out.

Off to the gym today, then the grocery store--big tasks of the day. May join a friend later on and hit the thrift shops. We're hosting a "mystery in the vineyards" dinner on Sunday night and we've all got character assignments with costume suggestions. I'm "Bonnie Lass" (yes, I know it's ridiculous) so I'm thinking a tartan skirt (suggested) and black tights (I am NOT wearing the suggest knee socks!) would fit the bill. Happy Friday!

Ugh, woke up this morning with a headache. I know exactly what caused it: too much reading on a tablet rather than my Kindle. I left it at the gym on Wednesday and nobody has turned it in (WHY? It's an old one with a ratty cover, no use to anybody...) so I was "forced" to read on a tablet which didn't allow me to increase the font size, hence eye strain and headache. Also, really stiff this morning and I know I completely overdid things at the gym yesterday--45 minutes on the elliptical, 15 minutes on recumbent bike. I went out shopping with a friend yesterday and was struggling to walk properly and easily. Both hips were whining and complaining and being difficult, dratted little toddlers, both of 'em!

New Kindle is on order and I will be better today. Need to go grocery shopping but that's it. I used a heating pad before bed last night so I think that helped, but still feeling like I'm hobbling a bit. Just reminds me forcibly that although I am able to do most things, I am clearly not fully recovered and still prone to do too much and suffer the consequences. Yes, I know better but I feel so frustrated sometimes--I hate not knowing when I can push things harder (clearly not at the moment, without ill effects) and also realize left hip's arthritis is going to make a return to full functioning quite problematic. Grouse, grouse, grouse...

Oh, @Going4fun and @KathyB, how kind of you to "like" the above post--rereading it this morning it sounds so grumpy and cross, not "like worthy" at all! I know that a combination of headache and stiffness was responsible for me sounding like a big crab but still, I do sound so childish and whiny. But, good news is I'm feeling much better today--no headache (didn't read yesterday) and hips doing okay (just a wee bit of exercise in the morning and lots of vegging out otherwise) so mood is much elevated.

We're hosting a "murder in the vineyards" dinner at our house tonight so I need to get crackin' and start food prep. I set the table yesterday afternoon after putting in an extra leaf, and mixed up bread dough and salad dressing. This morning I'll need to assemble the ingredients for baked ziti and make/bad a "clementine cake", a recipe I've never made before--wish me luck that it turns out well! House needs to be thoroughly vacuumed, guest towels put out in the bathroom and then I'll need to get dressed in my character's costume before guests arrive. It should be a fun evening, I'm hoping, but as always when one entertains, a bit of work involved. I will get my exercise today with all the cooking and cleaning. Happy Sunday to all!

This recovery journey has its ups and downs so whining is allowed...:wink:
Hope your dinner goes off without a hitch.:yes:
Hope you're not the murderer or the murderee for that matter!:heehee:

Low moods are understandable. This time is bittersweet for you, I'll bet. We're supposed to be happy with our new found "freedom from pain" not anxious because our other deteriorating hip is raining on our parade. I'm sure it weighs on your mind with each reminder twinge or jab that this is only the first chapter. Add to that any other physical discomforts such as a headache, stiffness and it's enough to ruin a perfectly good day :gaah: :hairpulling:

Your dinner party sounds fun, but also like a lot of work. I hope hubs is helping you. I'd like to get a better understanding of the theme once it's over and you have time to explain. I know it must involve wine through the word "vineyard", which should make it fun after a glass or two.

I hope you have a wonderful time tonight!
@Barbaraj

That sounds like a lot of fun Barbara. What is your costume?! I have been decluttering today which involved sitting on a low library step and getting masses of stuff out of a very damp cupboard. It wasn’t fun and my hip is really hurting now so have assumed the position and icing and elevating..

Hoping to go for a swim tomorrow.

Would love the recipe for the clementine cake!

Okay, taking a quick break at midday--most of the prep work is done: cake baked and glazed, with candied mandarin slices cooling; bread baked and cooling; baked ziti assembled and in the fridge, waiting to be cooked just before dinner. And, most important of all, the dang kitchen is FINALLY clean! I collapsed in a chair and ate leftovers for lunch, and now upstairs in our study, checking a few emails and getting ready to shower and start the second half of my day! Thanks for the kind wishes, @Layla and @Mojo333, and excusing my whining.

Wish I could say my husband helped out with dinner preparations, but he drove off about 8:30 this morning, heading for a workout session with his trainer while I started cooking at 9:00, still in my bathrobe and slippers. I've asked him to pick up some milk and flowers for the table since, much as I love my darling husband, he is not that helpful in the kitchen. His "helping" is slow and methodical, and makes me crazy as he takes 3 times as long to do any kitchen chore than I would. Of course, I normally cook so it's not surprising he's so tentative, and if we cook together I always make sure I'm sipping a cocktail or glass of wine to keep my impatience in check! When preparing for a dinner party, no matter how willing he'd be, he'd simply get in my way. I am a crazed speed demon, messy but focused, when doing a big meal.

I, too, hope I'm not the murderer, but I have no idea who it will be. I bought a "kit" that contained invitations, characters and costume suggestions, several cards with clues on 'em, and CD which you play to start things off. I found the kit on sale around the holidays and bought it, thinking it would be a fun thing to do with a few neighbor couples. My assigned character is "Bonnie Lass", a Scottish novelist hiking in the Napa Valley (go figure...). I am a little long in the tooth for the "lass" designation, but I am trying to be a trooper (as we're hosting) and go with it. Costume was fairly easy to assemble, thanks to my closet and Goodwill: tartan skirt and tam were purchased, white blouse I already own, along with tights (called for knee socks but no way are these knees going to be uncovered and on display) and hiking boots which I own and are in mint condition since--surprise, surprise--I don't hike! And OF COURSE, with a theme set in the vineyards, we'll all be slugging back glasses of vino to get in the mood. I am going to make a batch of Ina Garten's lemon drops, which are incredibly strong (one will do most folks) to start us off as costume parties are always a bit, ahem, awkward at first. Nothing like a bit of "Dutch Courage" to get things more relaxed.

Good luck on the decluttering, @SurreyGirl. I am sure it feels like an endless task (uh, because it IS) but I hope you're making good progress. So many areas of my house could stand some decluttering, and there are so many I give up before I'm started. Baby that hip. Mine is aching a bit from all the work this morning, but I intend to relax for a bit before the event starts so I'll be in good form for identifying a murderer!

Your dinner party sounds amazing fun, you have some lucky neighbours!

@Barbaraj, I love hearing your stories of a life full of good activity and family connections ... and part of loving your stories is appreciating the ups and the downs ... the downs are fine to read about ... because you're so honest. Also you can be tough on yourself ... So I might like your post in response ... but that's part of what makes you you ... So yes, I can read about you expressing frustration and actually feel that it's a wonderful post ... because there's such a rich flow in your thread ... you don't get stuck at any one place. All good stories, I have learned, have to have struggle!

I tend to wait until my story turns in a way I want it to turn ... and my style has its problems. I'm sometimes hesitant to post honestly about down days ... because secretly I think I'll get stuck there. Anyway, love hearing your stories ... Now the question is ... what the heck is "murder in the vineyards"? ... Was this a dinner theater event of some kind? A home dinner theater? ...

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts