THR Are We There Yet?

Good Sunday morning--it's another gray day out there, with clouds whipping across the horizon and, I suspect, rain before the day is over. Feeling reasonably good this morning which is encouraging as I did hit the gym yesterday, did a 45 minute slog on the elliptical and felt pretty good for the rest of the day. But, I know that for me overdoing it often shows up the day after so I am happy that no increased aching/pain this morning in either hip. Today I'll just do the prescribed PT exercises, trying to alternate these with cardio as instructed by my PT.

You are right, @Atkinson8, that before surgery I never even noticed a twinge in my left hip, and it's only since I've gone bionic with my right hip that I'm aware the left one isn't in great shape. Thanks for the encouraging words and hug, and, yes, I do intend to be mindful of what's happening and try to figure out, clearly through trial and error, what is the right blend of activity and rest to manage this left hip as well as I can. My summer, unlike yours, will probably not be as active and comfortable as I'd like but I sure hope it will be better than last summer. And once I finally move ahead to get the left hip replaced, I am sure that I, too, will be looking ahead to a comfortable, fully functioning hip future. Yours is going to be great!

Had a good day yesterday sans the demands of grandkids. I am sure watching them at any age, @Layla, is challenging! I love 'em while they are here, but also love the peace and quiet that ensues when they're gone. I vacuumed and did laundry yesterday and love having my house back and without toys scattered all over.

Got a bit of grocery shopping done yesterday, and noted as I waited in the check out line that ALL the magazines on the end caps were full of articles on dieting and exercise--sigh. I did succumb to the pressure a bit, buying only "healthy stuff" so I could make a farro, roasted butternut squash, feta and cranberry (with a bit of bacon) salad for dinner last night. My husband looked at it glumly and suspiciously when I served it up last night, with a look that said "really?!!" Tonight it's trivia, however, so we'll be eating greasy tater tots and tacos. With my dry January resolution, however, I'll be swilling back ice water. It's gonna be a l-o-n-g month...

Last edited:
Hahaha! Sounds familiar, guys DO NOT like salad for dinner. I don't care if it contains steak, bacon, protein galore....to them it's a pre-dinner appetizer it seems.
I've made large salads containing all the food groups and hubs will still ask what we're having with it :shrug:
Answer: You're looking at it! :heehee:

A happy Sunday to you!

@Barbaraj

Ah, it's Monday again. It used to be that Monday was clearly noted as the start to the week when my husband worked fulltime. He'd be up and out of the house at 6:30, when I was just rolling out of bed. Today I was up at 6:30, while he slept on. And I was halfway through my coffee and the newspaper when he trundled downstairs. Increasingly, I hope he'll actually be retired (instead of the "faux" retirement of last year which looked more like part-time work and not full retirement) and then all days of the week will be the same for both of us.

Hips feeling good this morning. Skipped the gym and instead did PT exercises late in the day. If I stick to my therapist's recommendation, I should hit the gym today. Normally I like to go around noon (when more folks have taken off for lunch, and the parking lot isn't so crowded) but today I've got dental appointment so if I do decide to go to the dentist, it will be this afternoon some time. I have those stupid antibiotics, to be taken an hour before the appointment, set out on my bathroom counter, and feeling grouchy about that. I must take four HORSE pills which seems like overkill and I know, from this forum and internet trolling, that increasingly it isn't something that OSs and the dental community feel is necessary. Part of me wants to be mutinous and not take the antibiotics (which I was firmly told by my OS is a LIFETIME requirement before any dental work) but I feel as if I had an excellent surgical outcome and at least for this first year post-surgery I will go along with his direction. I am lucky that for the most part I've enjoyed good health and I don't think I've taken a ton of antibiotics during my lifetime. But I agree with many that as a society we have been overprescribed antibiotics and it's troubling to see new strains of antibiotic resistant viruses springing up.

Must brag a bit: we again won first place at trivia last night. My brother came with us and nudged us over into a successful outcome. I am pretty hopeless at trivia (two of the categories were "celebrity" and "90's" trivia, I totally bombed on both) but that's why you have a team for trivia. My one or two contributions, added to others on the team, perhaps made a difference. Home by 9:00, watched a bit of mindless TV and so to bed. A good day all considered. And my husband was happy to have greasy tacos for dinner. You are right, @Layla, I don't think most men view "salad" as an actual meal!

@Barbaraj I've been busy this last month and missed most of your Holiday posts. I so appreciate your newsy posts. I enjoy following you as your THR was about 2 weeks before mine. I get to keep my expectations realistic as I read what you are able to do! A good friend from PNW will join me here in Florida. It's 78 degrees, no wind, normal humidity, and clear blue skies. My biggest complaint was not being able to reach my toes. At 3 mos I scheduled a pedicure with warnings that she couldn't break any skin. This woman was trained years ago - a real professional. A milestone and relief for me. I still hit the energy wall. One friend asked if there was a pill for that. :rotfl:

Yawn...it's Tuesday morning and husband has left for the office early today, so I'm still wandering around in my bathrobe and slippers and contemplating my day. The only tasks on my "to do" list today are some PT exercises and baking some cookies for a small gathering at my house. Husband won't be home until sometime this afternoon so lots of time to get these chores accomplished as well as a shower and daytime attire.

Took a really long walk with a neighbor friend yesterday, and then went to the gym with my workout buddy. I was pretty stiff by the time I went to the gym, so cranked the elliptical's settings down to low resistance and incline, and did a slow, deliberative stroll to not irritate my hips. I was still a bit stiff and achy by the time I got home, and toyed with the idea of popping some Tylenol. But I managed to hold off, and was able to finish making some soup and bread for dinner. My husband sneers at salad for dinner, but seems to be reasonably happy with soup and bread. And there is lots of soup leftover, along with half of the small loaf of bread so no cooking for me tonight. My women friends arrive around 7:30 for coffee/tea/wine (well, except for me--dry January is plodding along) and cookies.

I'm a bit stiff still this morning, but achiness is manageable. I am still frustrated that my stamina is clearly not where I'd like it, but, yes, I know--less than six months out and it will happen, eventually (I'm holding on to that anyway). Rainy and dreary outside so no incentive to get out for a walk today. Cheers.

A beautiful sunny start to the morning, and although I'm still in my bathrobe, I am feeling energized and excited about my day ahead. I hit the gym yesterday, so today I'll just do my PT exercises. I am working really hard to deal with my frustration that expanding the boundaries of what's physically possible just ain't going as quickly as I'd like. I read the Sunday paper this morning, curled up in chair while sipping my morning latte. When I finished, I put my legs down and prepared to stand up. It is a very deliberative process. Yes, I can stand up using my core and my thighs, but it's such a concentrated effort still. There is a second or two needed to get my balance and then the slow rise to standing which involves a focus and a bit of effort. Sadly, no more "bounding" out of my chair like the olden days! This ongoing stiffness and lack of ease is maddening to me, but I just need to get over myself and adjust. It is just so hard some days.

Oh, sheesh, having one of those "gloomy day in muddville" kind of days. My darling husband LOCKED me out of the house yesterday morning, by accident, of course, but it meant I spent 2-1/2 hours during yard work. This was way too much bending and stooping so by the time he got home my lower back was killing me. It was sunny but cool so I felt I needed to keep moving, and doing yard work seemed my only option. Probably not the best choice...ouch, ouch, OUCH!

I'd gone outside for a brief trip to the backyard to pick up a bit of debris on our deck, and he left for the gym but shut the garage as he headed out. Since I'd come out by the garage door, and had no house key on me, I couldn't get back in. I tried calling him on his cell phone (I had mine in my jacket pocket) but he'd left his at home--argh!

When he returned, him deeply apologetic and I was hobbling and tottering. I went upstairs, fell into our broken recliner, turned the heating pad onto "high" and read all afternoon. I also popped an Aleve, something I don't usually do and stayed there all afternoon and into the evening. As partial penance, I had my husband get teriyaki takeout for dinner.

I woke up this morning on my back and I could tell immediately that I was still stiff and aching. I took another Aleve and hobbled around all day. If I sit up very straight in a chair, or when I am walking I'm mostly okay. But, if I bend the tiniest bit from the waist, I am toast! I have my first Pilates class tomorrow morning--really hoping I'll feel better for that. Good news is that I am not noticing my hips AT ALL today!

Oh, NO! That's too bad. I hope it eases soon.

Your story reminded me of one of my own. I locked myself in the garage once. We always used the deadbolt on the service door to the garage and left the lock on the doorknob unlocked...but somehow it got flipped into lock position. I ran out to the garbage can with a bag of trash in a t-shirt and underwear one morning, obviously no one could see me.
Went to go back in....LOCKED OUT :yikes:
No cell phone, no car keys couldn't even go outside and use a neighbors phone. I wasn't trapped, but I WAS. Couldn't walk to the closest neighbors house in my underwear! I sat in the garage on a lawn chair for 6 hrs waiting for someone to get home. I laughed, I cried, I paced, I was hungry, I was MAD, at myself. After that I hid a key in the garage and put a landline phone in the garage also because there was an outlet. Never happened again. I learned my lesson.
Be glad you had pants and a bra on :rotfl:

I hope you're feeling back to normal today. Good luck with Pilates. Let us know how it goes.
@Barbaraj

Oh, my, @Layla! Your story is far worse than mine! I can only imagine how awful 6 hours trapped in a garage would be!! I hope it was during the warm weather, otherwise I'd think hypothermia would have been a problem! I was told by, oh, a gazillion of my friends, that I need to hide a key somewhere in my yard for this sort of thing. But, we both survived and today, while not 100% (I am still bending overly very gingerly and slowly) I am definitely feeling better than I did on Sunday. No Pilates today, as fortunately the woman I am going to be attending classes with had double-booked herself so we're going on Thursday when, I hope, I will be feeling well enough for my first class. I really liked Pilates pre-surgery even though my right hip limited some of the exercises I was able to do, but stretching always feels good and the idea of getting more limber is very appealing. My job will be NOT to do anything stupid, easier said than done. Thanks for your encouraging words and funny (although not at the time, I'm sure) story.

Last edited:
Okay, a bit sore and stiff today, but it's an overall stiffness/soreness, the sort that most of us would expect after going to a Pilates class for the first time since last summer! Hips, lower back and thighs feel as if they've gotten a workout, which isn't a bad thing. I did try to be careful yesterday--when the class plugged along on 25 hamstring stretches, I sensibly stopped at around 10. I am not hobbling, just very much aware that I am out of shape (!) and that yesterday's stretching and workout, while challenging, is just what I need to keep doing. Off to the gym for some elliptical this morning, and then lunch with friends at noon. I am just grateful that I'm not in real pain, the way I was this past Sunday after I clearly torqued my back in a bad sort of way. Today's discomfort is merely muscles that haven't been used much complaining--this I can manage. At almost 4 months out, I feel I am doing pretty well, all things considered. Am I where I want to be? No, but if I can be patient (always a stretch and harder on some days than others) I am hoping in a few more months I will be mostly okay except for twingy left hip, and that is going to require surgery at some point--heavy sigh--so for now it's all about strengthening and flexibility to put that off as long as possible. Happy Friday!

@Barbaraj So sorry to hear about your locking yourself out. As @Layla says, at least you had your panties and bra on!! Good grief that is so frustrating though. Poor Laya though...I did have a :heehee: about her story, although at the time it must have been awful. Great that you recovered for Pilates!

I was thinking today about healing times. I know with horses it takes about four months for a broken bone to heal. Considering we had our femurs hacked off at the top, and then the area of the socket (I can't remember the correct terminology...it is late...starts with an "a") gets "cleaned out" (I have another term for it, but am going decline) it must take us a good four months for all that bone trauma and the break to recover at least. I find when I am tired, and have been on my feet all day, it seems like the top of my trochanter (thigh bone) feels sore...and that is understandable I would think. Anyhow, the point I'm trying to make is that it takes a long time for things to calm down and heal. You are doing exceptionally well.....four months out and whizzing along for over 30 mins on the elliptical, and now back at Pilates - you are amazing!:dancy: so :cheers: to you!

Hope you had some sun today. It was stunning here, and so amazing to see the amazing eclipse/blood moon last night....were you able to view?

You probably won't read this until tomorrow morning...so here's wishing you a great Tuesday! :happydance:

Good morning, no rain yet but my phone's weather app says it will be arriving around 10:00 AM, and then continuing on all day and well past my bedtime. Oh, well, when I get discouraged by all the gray skies and rain, I remind myself that it IS January after all, the middle of winter, and that all things considered we've had a pretty good month with many dry and sunny days, very unexpected really but joyfully welcomed. Rainfall totals for the month are really down so we do need more rain through the end of the month to bring us up closer to normal.

Feeling pretty good today, just normal morning stiffness. I am tired of it, but it generally dissipates somewhat once I'm up and about. My poor husband is really sore, however, so he's been whining a bit. He had a workout with a strength coach on Sunday (my brother's Christmas present to him was a few sessions with this coach, whom my brother also uses). He did well enough during the workout, but his quads are apparently really sore. So, I am currently not the only hobbler at our house!

Didn't do any real exercise yesterday, other than a trip to IKEA with friends. Sure, I walked a lot through that enormous store, and stood for about an hour (sheesh...) in a long check out line, but that doesn't constitute "exercise" in my book, and I am determined today to hit the gym and then do my PT exercises. I was supposed to be going to Pilates this morning, but my friend had another schedule conflict this week so we'll be doing the Thursday class instead. Thanks for the vote of confidence, @Alitm, it's always nice to get a few cheers! Mostly, as an independent exerciser, I get no feedback from anyone. I've been going to this gym for decades and I've never met anyone there. I fear I must have a grim and determined look on my face all the time I'm there so nobody approaches, and I'm basically pretty efficient--in and out, a non nonsense exerciser. My husband, who has only started going to this gym regularly this past year, has met and has cheerful conversations with men every time he goes! He clearly is far more approachable than I am!

Anyway, it's Tuesday so the week is chugging along.

Aww, bunk. You're friendly here. One smile, one kind word to a total stranger. "Hey, pretty scarf!"
All it takes to strike up a friendship.

At times I don't feel approachable either. It's usually if I'm not in "full drag" as I humorously call it. Basically just everyday make-up. :heehee: It's amazing the confidence a lil lipstick brings, for me anyway.

Hope you have a nice time in whatever you do today, Barbaraj

@Barbaraj

@Barbaraj it sounds like your cloudy weather, that I would experience in February in New England, got you down a bit. Thank you for sharing how that affects how you feel about your recovery. Feelings of isolation & self doubt are pretty sneaky for me as well. I love your posts here, so positive and compassionate. You always have some fun plans with family and friends. I love your friendly posts! Turning on the lights & turning up the music helped me turn off those negative thoughts. :egypdance:

Hi @Barbaraj, Wasn't yesterday's rain the pits! It was absolutely awful! Our son has had a short run with the flu. He had a flu shot, so it does shorten the severity, but he is living on Dayquil. As a grade 12 student, he has to take provincial exams in math and english that also to universities, along with his high school grades. Anyhow, he had his math exam yesterday, so I had to drive him to school and pick him up for the exam, as he felt too miserable to drive himself. It was dreadful driving weather, with so much water on the highways.....hydroplaning weather I call it. Drove 10k slower than normal. Everyone was being careful. I had to pick him up after dark, and it was foggy as well. I hate hate hate driving in that!!! Anyhow we made it safe and sound. Today is lovely, with sunshine and blue skies. On days like yesterday my lower back is SOOO stiff! Although greatly improved from both hips being done (it wasn't so swell before second hip), I have to stretch before I get going. It is such a process! Hoping your back is feeling better, and that you are getting the sunshine today.
I stopped at the gym yesterday (where I went for yoga and pilates classes for the last six years, until I had to give up last summer). Spoke to them about trying the elliptical, and one of the trainers showed me which machines he felt would be easiest to start on, and let me get on. I did just a few revolutions and it felt amazing! As I haven't been on an elliptical for some time. My physio (who I went to after the gym) said to start with five mins and SLOWLY build up to thirty mins, and then slowly add inclines. I don't want the resistance as my thighs get huge...just want the revolutions. I'm sure you were able to build up faster, as you were on the elliptical up to surgery yes? I'll just take my slow coach approach, as it seems to be the best for me!
Wishing you a sunny day down in the PNW! I'm not sure what we are called here, the Canadian PSW?!!!
:SUNsmile:

Good morning! Just got back from the gym and feeling good. As I just mentioned on another post, I think that for me this whole healing process is both physical AND mental. I realize that I have a tendency--ahem--to push things a bit, but the alternative is often harder for me. Lack of physical activity messes with my head and even when I overdo it (and, yes, I will whine when that happens--I'm only human!) it often feels better than days when I am lazy and unmotivated and crabby. I hopped on the elliptical this morning, and put the resistance up just a wee bit, as well as the incline. I chugged away for 45 minutes and--surprise--I'm feeling pretty good, physically AND emotionally.

And, yes, @Alitm, I was a dedicated elliptical user before surgery--it gives such a great workout but it doesn't stress my hips or knees. For years before I discovered the elliptical I was a dedicated stairclimber user, which is brutal on your hips (although I didn't know it at the time) and the elliptical is very, very gentle (or so it feels to me) and takes my body through a range of motion. I, too, after surgery was told to start out very slow (this was after my 6 week check-up) with only 10 minutes, on zero resistance and incline. I was told to increase at a "slow pace" which I tried to do, but I'm almost up to my pre-surgical routine, although I'd have to add in a longer period of time and I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet. Anyway, glad you got a crack at it and maybe you'll turn into a convert! And FYI, I've been an elliptical user for years, and it's never built up my thighs, so I wouldn't worry about excessive bulking up.

And thanks for the kind words, @Layla and @wcgirl. I am sure the gray, overcast skies do not contribute to my mood. It's actually still overcast and grey today, but no rain (I think you pushed all those clouds south, @Altim, if you're enjoying sunshine today!) I am going to plunk in a chair and read again today (I am a very fast reader, and regularly can whiz through a book a day, although I'm a sloppy reader and the stuff I read is, as my mother might say, "meretricious garbage" for the most part). I am also going to make a batch of granola--tasty stuff, and it makes my house smell sweetly delicious.

Happy Hump Day!

I agree, inclement weather is a downer. Cold, blustery, rainy, snowy, short cloudy days. Then the worry of slipping on icy pavement. Yucky :groan:
We'll be at 10-12F for the next couple days, then a string of single digits.
Lots of hibernating and finding things to do indoors. Thankfully, Spring will come again! :SUNsmile:

Your recovery really does seem to be a good one. You're blessed!
Have a nice Thursday :)
@Barbaraj

Yawn, stretch, twist--if I were a cat this morning, my back would be flattened, front paws would be extended full length on the floor, and my mouth would be wide open. Dang this early morning stiffness! I'm off for my second Pilates class later this morning, so I'll be stretching, bending and twisting like crazy in a few hours. I was a bit sore after last week's class and expect to feel much this same this afternoon--it's manageable and I know it's the right thing for me as long as I don't overdo it. It's another cloudy morning out there, but I've heard things will turn sunnier and more pleasant in a day or two. I can't imagine living somewhere with single digit temperatures, @Layla. Much as I complain about our grey skies and rain, I loathe really cold weather and would find those kind of temperatures hard to take. Of course, as you've noted, it just means a lot of time hunkering down inside. And, yes, spring will be coming in a few months.

Good to hear you're so active, even with the inevitable soreness and stiffness! Have you tried the strider at the gym? It's like the elliptical but there's also resistance on the pullback - might be fun if you're looking for a little variety.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back