THR Are We There Yet?

Thanks, @SurreyGirl and @Alitm, great to know that others also think it's nice to have a conversation about something other than one's own medical situation. Okay, the conversation at dinner last night was politics which I'm not keen on, but anything other than the conversations I've been having with my husband nonstop about how I'm feeling would be more normal, and getting back to normal is totally my goal at this point. That's funny that you wolfed down a steak, @Alitm. My food cravings are all about creamy, cheesy, excellent mouth feel stuff and seldom about beef. On the other hand, I do like a good meatloaf occasionally. I dare not suggest that to my husband who would totally freak out, I suspect, if asked to produce anything like that--"how do you make it? where is a recipe? how big should I dice the onion? Etc." I think I can probably suggest to him that he go to Costco at some point, however, as they've got some yummy little meatloaves already in a two-pack just ready to bake. I wish I craved stuff like raw vegetables and seafood but I don't. My food preferences are all on the fatty/salty axis. At least I'm not a huge sweets fan.

I think at the stage you are at listening to your body is a great idea as so much of that protein is going into healing! The thought of raw vegetables would have put me right off at the stage. And, btw, at the Rehab place - once I was feeling better I decided that the 6pm supper time was far too early so the staff kindly bought me a plate of cheese and biscuits which I had any time between 12 and 2am when I had to wake up to go to the loo! I beac
Wow, @SurreyGirl, your planned evening meal sounds quite gourmet and tasty!

I love food hence my weight issues but did lose 28 lbs before the op - put a bit on as had to wait far too long but am walking more distances now (albeit with crutch) than I have done in the last two years.. For the first time I am now very optimistic about the future… The salmon was fresh originally, covered in jerk powder and then vacuum packed for the freezer. Sometimes, during a busy show week, hubs and I put the fish or meat in a sous vide machine and then it is all ready for when we come home. Men absolutely love these machines !

Ha, ha @SurreyGirl I love food as well, but I am a pretty basic cook and can't imagine using a sous vide machine (what the heck is THAT?!) to make anything! I am lucky that I'm tall (5'8") so I can probably eat a bit more than the average female but because I am so heartily sick of cooking after decades of meal production, I am more of a grazer these days which helps with weight control, along with exercise. Congrats on the 28 lb. loss before surgery, and I'm sure with some discipline and focus, once you're healed, you can tackle the remaining pounds you want to shed. Losing weight is the pits but sounds like you and your husband are good cooks so you can tackle the tasty but lower calorie meals that the likes of me would never try.

Well you are lovely and slim… I am 5' 8" too and used to be very slim until a certain time of life! If I can get back to a UK size 14 (American 10-12) I will be very happy.. I mustn't let work derail the exercise so, as we have plenty of corridors and stairs where I work am planning to do an internal walking regime and stick to it.. Hope you feel a lot better today.

Awww...thanks, @SurreyGirl: slim and lovely, I wish! Feeling grungy and grubby today as I'm waddling around in flannel PJ bottoms and ratty sweater but nice to get a compliment to start my day. Hope you get in lots of walking regularly, I think it will help with both weight loss and recovery from hip surgery--double bonus!

I really do need to set an alarm for an early morning dosage. I can do that, and just make sure I have the pills and a water bottle on my bedside table to make it as easy as possible.
Yes, it's imperative that you get that middle of the night dose, otherwise you will be going 8-10 hours without anything which is not good. The whole point of good pain management is to have an even dose in your body over the 24hr period.

Did you read the Recovery Guidelines in the second post of this thread? The fourth article in that list reads "take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)". It includes this chart which explains the fine detail of pain management!

pain chart.jpg

How sweet of your brother to come by for a visit and bring that wonderful meal. The Mac & Cheese sounds good, ultimate comfort food and who doesn't like comfort in any way shape or form during recovery.
I love Ina Garten. I miss her cooking show. I found it relaxing to watch her. The Food Network seems to have changed. More competition type shows which don't really appeal to me.

I noticed leg shaving as a topic of discussion but didn't read all the way back, trying to get offline to make dinner right now. Has anyone mentioned the Giraffe Razor to you? It's under the Recovery Aids -

http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/recovery-aids-a-comprehensive-list-for-hospital-and-home.12499/
Check it out if you haven't already.

Hope you have a nice evening!
@Barbaraj

Thanks, @Josephine! Much as I loathe the idea of setting an alarm to get up in the middle of the night, you are right that it is necessary for good and continuous pain relief. I followed this plan last night and I truly did sleep better and more comfortably. I am hoping this won’t be necessary for an extended period of time, but for now it is critical for me.

Hi @Layla. Yes, I was so touched by my brother’s visit last night with my favorite comfort food—I am a very lucky big sister. I know it’s probably not the healthiest entree but it tastes so yummy. I love Ina Garten’s recipes too, although I am very aware that there is an obvious reason why she is a “generously sized” woman. Lots of butter and other good stuff in everything she makes. Why is the good stuff always so calorie laden?!

I could actually reach down to shave my left leg (I still have great forward flexibility) but it does start to pull and sting if I try to reach down on my right side. I know I was given no restrictions by my surgeon, but trying to do something that starts to hurt means I probably should back off.

Will check out the giraffe shaver—I suppose shaving one’s legs might be unnecessary for healing but vanity doesn’t disappear along with our hip(s)!

If you have a sweetie pie brother AND he’s a good cook, @Lea61, I totally recommend you start sucking up to him immediately. My brother has always been a great cook—he made me creamy polenta with Gorgonzola cheese a few years ago, and I felt as if I’d died and gone to heaven! So I was SO excited when I heard he was bringing me dinner. And not just any dinner but my favorite comfort food! Your husband will probably welcome someone else bringing a meal. So, start thinking about your favorite meal and lay the groundwork NOW!

Okay, @Alitm, I looked at that Giraffe razor—seems a bit intimidating to me and requiring a lot more skill and ability to manage. I am feeling way too klutzy at the moment. I have shuddering visions of seriously sliced up calves—ouch! But let me know if it works for you—I am curious!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have to worry about shaving my legs for awhile. I am hoping I'll somehow figure out how to do that
How much do you trust your husband...?

the conversation at dinner last night was politics which I'm not keen on
WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP DANGER WILL ROBINSON! Yeah, that's dicey. I have one set of friends that I get together with every month for a dinner we call the Metaphysical Society, where we talk both religion and politics. But there are ground rules, and it's mostly an excuse to have dinner with a dear friend of ours who's 90 and loves controversial stuff like that.

Men absolutely love these machines !
Why, yes. Yes we do. The only cooking I've ever tried has been an excuse to try out some new kitchen gadget we've picked up. My brother-in-law loves these gadgets - he totally has a sous vide machine! Too bad he still can't cook.

am planning to do an internal walking regime and stick to it..
Good for you!! Always a good idea to move more - but don't sweat it if you don't lose a lot of weight. Big girls are gorgeous, too!

Ha, @Bone-obo, I trust my hubby but somehow I think shaving my legs is not high on my list of requests for him, given all the other stuff I ask of him. And that is cool about your “metaphorical society” gathering, like an old-fashioned salon? My parents had a similar sort of gathering monthly; the called themselves the “SGOST” (small group of serious thinkers). It was more arts focused—I recall as a child hearing them read aloud the play, “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?” And being mortified! I grew up in a political family so any political talk palls quickly for me but, as I said, not talking medical stuff and how I feeling was a lovely distraction.

Last edited:
Ah, lying in bed this AM with the newspaper and a morning latte and my ever so important cell phone. My screen time has increased “105%” according to a reminder message my phone sent me yesterday. I wanted to argue with my phone and remind it that there is a reasonable explanation for this as I am using it all the time for texts and emails with family and friends and certainly for all my Bonesmart posting and reading. “It’s only a temporary increase, Ms. Cell Phone, and I don’t appreciate you sending me this reminder. I already feel crummy so I don’t need YOU criticizing my increased usage”.

I realize I don’t need to apologize to my cell phone but in my drug addled state such thoughts do occur. Crazy, huh?

Okay, morning report: slept reasonably well. Woke up again a minute or two before 2:00 and threw back my Tramadol. Woke up a couple of times after that to shift my stiff lower body into a more comfortable position and then up for good at 7:30 AM. Staggered into the bathroom, took my morning Tylenol dose and a baby aspirin and set off on a slow waddling trek up and down the hallway a few times before collapsing back into bed. Another day begins!

I have just finished week 3. You know what I find odd... I will suddenly need to nap during the day for an hour or so. Doesn't affect my night time sleep. I guess it is the body using energy to heal...

Hi, @Elsinore, I am napping during the day, too. I suspect a lot of people do that for awhile. I am not normally a daytime napper but, boy, it sure helps with energy. My nighttime "sleep" (drug induced coma I sometimes feel) isn't impacted by the nap either. You are doing great!

Hi, I'm bringing the convo over here from Alitm's thread to keep from derailing hers. My comments are in regard to her suggestions you try to use an assistive device -

I do agree with Alitm about using an assistive device. A cane worked best for me. I tried both (cane and crutches) because my dad had both from his own THR, so I experimented to see which felt most comfortable for me. We're all different and will have our own preference but you'll feel more independent trying on your own, away from hubs, in my opinion. The heel- toe thing was my biggest takeaway from my few PT sessions. I found it to truly help. Not only did it effectively help my limp, it perfected my walk. I was sloppy as my hip deteriorated, limping, favoring etc. Keeping the heel-toe walking in mind also made me walk taller, I felt stronger and more in control. It feels awkward at first but you'll notice any limp you have disappear.

Lots of fun stuff to consider in this game of recovery :heehee: Wish it was a game, it would be more fun.
Wishing you a good one!
@Barbaraj

Thanks @Layla—good suggestions! During my walk this morning without the walker, I did concentrate, maybe even exaggerate, my walking motion on my right leg—bend and lift my knee, move foot forward with purposeful placement of heel then toe. Although I wasn’t limping continuously pre-surgery it was a problem when I got tired and my gait got sloppy, too. Being mindful of how I am walking really helps, and I can do that more successfully without the walker. I think I will try to do another walk this afternoon without the walker—good discipline for me! These aren’t long walks as they are tiring—oh, that energy drain—but it feels good and I feel as if it’s a step in the right direction.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back