THR Are We There Yet?

Awesome news @Barbaraj.
Oxycodone. Had some interesting times with that drug. I thought I had full cognition and started writing up my reports for work. In my mind, my work was exceptional.
My twenty-something son at the time asked to see my reports before I sent them. All I'm gonna say is that it's a good thing he did. They never went out the door.
Hope the next few days are as good!

Woohoo! You made it through.....such a relief for you.
With well managed pain and lots of ice you're on your way.
I'm so happy for you to be rid of the horrible pre-op anxiety.
A flower for you :flwrysmile: You Did It!!!!
@Barbaraj

@Barbaraj Whoop Whoop you made it!! FABULOUS! So happy for you :happydance:

Hope those pain meds are taking over from the spinal. What amazing relief that the surgery is over! Good to know about your sedation success as well. I will file that away for #2 hip!
Wising you a comfortable and restful night :flwrysmile:

Okay, bored now. Finally got 5 mg of oxycodone about an hour ago. Wasn’t really in any significant discomfort but tiny inching up so remembered everyone’s warning to stay ahead of the pain, opting for a low dose. Nurses said the real pain will kick tonight or tomorrow so know I need to stay on top of this.

Weird that I have no appetite at all, despite having not eaten for almost 24 hours! Ordered dinner and ate without really being hungry. One item was a cheese and fruit plate so I plan on snacking on that through the evening, or until they take it away.

Can’t say that physically so far I feel better but, OMG, by far the best part is having that stomach churning, dry mouth, pounding heart rate pre-surgery gone. And, @Layla, I know recovery will undoubtedly have its challenges but getting rid of the anxiety, at least for me, is absolutely the best part for me so far!

Last edited:
@Alitm, having now had the spinal, I am really embarrassed by all my angst and hand wringing beforehand. I can truly say it wasn’t bad at all—tiny prick when they put in the numbing agent, and then weird, zapping and pinging twinges for a minute or so before they declared “she’s ready”. Rolled into the OR, got positioned and then nothing until someone said my name in the recovery room. If I have to have my left hip done (regrettably OS says that is likely at some point) I would absolutely go for spinal/sedation again!

@Elsinore, I confess my new “anxiety du hour” would have to be taking oxycodone and dealing with brain fog and dreaded constipation. My husband had it before, for foot surgery, and was supposed to be present, via a phone call from our home phone, to help with preparing a settlement agreement (he’s a lawyer). Ten minutes in he canceled the meeting, realizing his mind was turning to mush and he’d end up being sued for malpractice by his client! Glad your son stepped in to let you know doing mental tasks on oxycodone is NOT a good idea! Hope your recovery is going well!

My husband had it before, for foot surgery, and was supposed to be present, via a phone call from our home phone, to help with preparing a settlement agreement (he’s a lawyer). Ten minutes in he canceled the meeting, realizing his mind was turning to mush and he’d end up being sued for malpractice by his client!

Yep. I don't seem out of it with oxy, but I know my reasoning skills are in the trash. Luckily I saved all my email responses as drafts, haha. Got pretty loose lipped in some of them...

Oh Yesh, the oxy stories... I was home the second day, all bundled up in the recliner, when I heard a lawnmower and leaf-blower start up outside. My friend was on the sofa and and I thought to assure (?) him, "It's only the landscaper! [but what's he doing here on Sunday??]"
He looked at me oddly, then smirked and let me on to the fact it was really Tuesday... So that was a meme here for a few days! lol

Haha, @JoeKnows—smart move on your part to save those emails! I don’t feel really too “weird” on this relatively low dose but definitely noticed a slightly foggy brain effect. And @Rascali, your story definitely suggests that oxycodone can wreak havoc with our brain cells even if they are good for pain management.

Can feel right thigh definitely stiffening up but was able, with assistance from an aide and the humbling walker to make it to the bathroom and back! Woo, hoo—progress is marked by very baby steps!

Well done for making it to the bathroom. That is a great achievement so soon out of the op. On Morphine I texted friends all around the world and did a blog. Looking back some of the entries were unintentionally hilarious but everyone had fun with it. . Glad you had the spinal. I braved that too and was very glad I did. I don’t even remember going into the operating theatre!

Best wishes for your continuing and pain free recovery :)

:wave: Great to hear from you and happy you are now on the healing side.
Okay if brain is mush right now anyway...IMO
Much more important to stay or of pain.
I asked for stool softeners ... did have some constipation from pain meds but would've been much "harder" without them. (Pun intended)
Wish I had not had brain mush enough to ask for ice however...apparently that wasn't part of regular protocol.
:ice: was such a relief when I got home.
Great job getting through all of it @Barbaraj
Let the healing begin:yahoo:

Happy Thursday!
I hope it is a happy day. Nice to wake up without that pre-op anxiety still hanging over your head.
Hopefully your pain was well controlled last evening and you got some sleep.
Keep that ice pack close and go seize the day. It's the beginning of your second chance. :happydance:
Hugs
@Barbaraj

Welcome to the other side! I had the same anxiety about waking up during the procedure as it happened to me during my first THR. Staff are so understanding.

If you are starting to feel stiffness and swelling ask for ice. I had staff switching out gel packs all during my hospital stay.

Good morning, @Layla and @Jaycey and @Mojo333. I did manage to sleep last night despite interruptions by staff to take blood pressure, etc. biggest thrill was being able to sleep on my left side!! Wow, that felt so good—clearly something I hadn’t anticipated but for which I was very grateful. Got through the night with one 5 mg oxycodone at 7:30, and the Tylenol. I feel surprisingly good, very morning minimal pain, and keep waiting for the other shoe to drop! Having oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins and feeling a bit hungry for a change.

Just had PT and passed with flying colors with a couple of gentle exercises. Still need to have OT at some point and then maybe “blow this pop stand” this afternoon. Quite excited about getting to my own bed, and my own “stuff”. Life is good!!

Wonderful news...yep, home will be the most comfy place to be.
So glad to hear you are doing well.:) :-) (:

Yay for home! Super excited for you to be able to relax in your own space without all the
interruptions.

Don't wait for the other shoe to drop because it may not. I'm speaking from experience.
Everyone kept saying "oh, wait until day four." Well...day four came and went and it was no different than the day before, or the day after. I was thankful. You may be surprised. For now, I'd try to take it one day at a time, then each weekend reflect on the progress you've made since the weekend before. I wouldn't give the day to day much thought.

I have a feeling you're going to do great! And yes, life is good! We're blessed we had this second chance of THR.
Your coach awaits, safe travels home.
@Barbaraj

Good advice, @Layla—taking it one day at a time and not worrying about what tomorrow will look like is probably best, or “don’t borrow trouble” as my mama used to say! Icing and elevating at the moment, and starting to get tired. I was so anxious about the surgery beforehand that I feel mentally exhausted now and I suspect that is affecting me physically as well. I have a long recovery journey ahead but take it slowly and surely, and don’t second guess about it. I am going to get through this, I know. Cheers!

@Barbaraj ...You sound so good. Glad to hear everything went well and that the pre-surgery anxiety is behind you. I know how exhausting that can be. And....I am so impressed how you posted while still in recovery! I'll probably be so out of it that I may forget I even started a post. Anyway, spinal and sedation sounds like a good combo. I go for pre-op on Saturday and will meet with an anesthesiologist so I will definitely ask about it and see what they plan on doing. I guess it is a case by case decision.
Keep all the good news coming......:flwrysmile: Take care....

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JasminDickson
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom