THR Are We There Yet?

Barbaraj

supremo
Country
United States United States
Okay, have been advised to set up a post operative thread today, with surgery scheduled for tomorrow morning, so starting out my day by being well behaved and following directions. Plan for today is to stay distracted to help with increasing pre-surgical anxiety jitters!

All the best tomorrow! See you on this side soon! I'll post your recovery list here so you have it to hand,
Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?
BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

:wave:
I had my surgery on a Monday morning and stayed mostly distracted until Sunday evening when the ominous mood cloaked my preparedness and I began to stress out...barking at my SO, what if I need this...should I take this or not...what if they say this...etc and so forth.:badspidy:
In true Man Fashion, he said soothing things like "it'll be fine" and "if you need something I'll get it for you"
What kind of help is that?:gaah:
How do you know it will be fine...you aren't getting YOUR HIPS REPLACED...And You'll probably get the wrong thing...you don't know what to get. Poor Guy...he couldn't win and I couldn't see he was probably more nervous that I was as he has never seen me with any serious health issues.

BUT you will do fine...if you don't mind me saying.. and we shall be thinking of you and looking for you on the HEALING side. It really is a GOOD side to be on.:happydance:

Thanks for the information, @Jaycey, I'm sure these articles/reminders are the first things I'll be reading again post-surgery. And, @Mojo333, I chuckled at your report about your mood the night before surgery. Despite my nerves, I am really trying to be pleasant and kind to my husband, knowing he'll be my caretaker for awhile. I even considered writing him an appreciative note beforehand, tucking it on his pillow before we leave for the hospital tomorrow morning. I want to remind him that I love him and I am grateful to have him there to take care of me, and that I apologize in advance if I am a less than tractable and appreciative patient. Planning on a glass of wine with dinner tonight, last one of those for awhile, I'm guessing.

Aww, what a sweet thoughtful idea. He'll fall in love with you all over again.
Yep, last Vino for a few weeks. Enjoy!

In the words of Van Morrison you'll soon be "from the dark end of the street to the bright side of the road".
And we'll all be here cheering you on :yay: See you here soon :happydance:
@Barbaraj

Thanks, @Layla and @Bionic. I am hanging in there by my fingernails today, slapping a cheerful (although deeply false) smile on my face and alternately hoping the day will go fast, or that it will drag on endlessly. I intend to try (at least initially) to be a good patient, take meds on schedule, regulate activity to a modest and controlled level, and call up the small fund of patience I have at least been thinking about accumulating lately.

@Mojo333 's post about her day before surgery very much illustrated how we all feel and/or behaved on THAT day (THIS day for you @Barbaraj, and anyone else having THR tomorrow). When you are on the other side you can smile to yourself, and even have a little chuckle, as you will have now been there, done that and made it through!
The note idea will surely be appreciated I'm sure :yes:

@Barbaraj Thinking of you this morning! I'm having a sleepless on Vancouver Island night, so get to write posts at this crazy hour. You are on your way and are gong to do great. By this afternoon the surgery will be behind you, and you'll be looking forward to having your life back again. There is that little matter of recovery but we'll all be here cheering you on :yes!:. Keep your eye on the prizes ahead. See you on the healing side soon :flwrysmile:

You're doing it, it's finally happening, you're in our thoughts today.
Stay strong....you're going to do great!
Big hugs
@Barbaraj

Thanks, everyone! Knotted stomach and a dry mouth (where's that darn morning latte?!!) but know I'll soon have this over with, well, at least Part 1. Then Part 2, recovery, and my life back in 2019! Feeling terribly anxious but know I've got a good surgeon, competent hospital staff and a good husband who is excited (I expect that to last about 48 hours...) about playing Florence Nightingale! Hope everyone has a great day on the healing path, and I'll certainly be back on once I'm home and focusing properly. Cheers!

Welcome to the recovery side! A few weeks from know you will be tooling around with your new hip and all that pain th the rear view mirror. This week is a bit rough, but we will all be here with you. :sleep: Rest. Recover. And we look forward to hearing from you!

Whoa—in recovery and feeling surprisingly good! Spinal has not worn off yet so temporary reprieve from pain, i’m sure. As so many have commented , the mental stress from pre-surgery anxiety is gone. And happily, the sedation worked great—so relieved about that! Horrible fears about “waking up” during the surgery proved to be groundless. I was almost weepy with the anesthesiologists about my fears and less than great previous experiences, and they were very reassuring and kind. No pain meds yet but as spinal wears off, I will not hesitate. Looks like it will be oxycodone. Nervous about that but we’ll see. So far, so good.

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back