Lounge Doctor

THR Aquatic therapy

gopher

Country
United States United States
Has anyone had aquatic therapy, either before or after surgery? If so, I would appreciate your comments on its effectiveness. Also, if after surgery, how long after surgery is it OK to get in the pool?
Thanks.

helenium

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi @gopher:wave:

I had PT-led hydrotherapy after a couple of my hip surgeries. It was after revisions, so many months after surgery. It was just 6 hourly sessions over 3 weeks, and the expectation was for me to continue with the exercises in a local pool (2 or 3 times a week) to get full benefit. I found it to be very beneficial indeed and had hoped to be able to do the same after my last surgery. Not an option yet due to Covid :sad:. A word of caution - it's very easy to do too much in your first session!

There are many on the site who have returned to swimming after surgery. You'll be able to get an idea of how soon they were able to get back in the pool by reading some of their threads. As to when it will be safe for you to do so, something to ask your OS at your post op appointment.

Not long to go now before your first surgery. Good luck!

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@gopher I would not push yourself to do anything athletic pre-op. All it will do is aggravate that bad hip.

Many of our members do pool walking and therapy post op. Your surgical wound will need to be fully healed before attempting this. I suggest talking to your surgeon at your first followup appointment post op.

What helenium says is very true. You are weightless in the pool so it is very easy to over do. Pace yourself and don't push.

Eman85

supremo
Country
I've got a backyard above ground pool that we use a lot in warm weather. My first THR was in Feb. so as soon as it warmed up in May I was ready for the pool. I didn't do any special program but walking in the pool was good. I had a friend that had a THR and when the OS allowed he was at the indoor pool walking often. Go by your OS recommendations as far as when to get in the pool. You'll find that rushing anything in this recovery can cause a problem and the benefits of it are worth waiting for.

OP
OP
G

gopher

Country
I am also wondering about this;
I’m sure it is a good idea to get pre approved from your insurance company before THR, but is this commonly what is done or do most people just do the surgery without prior approval?
Thanks for replies.

Eman85

supremo
Country
I'm guessing you mean pre approval from your health insurance. In both of mine with 2 different insurance companies the OS office took care of all of that and I pre-paid my share pre-op. Not many surgeons or hospitals are letting you past the emergency room without insurance or money.

leejaa

big-cheese
Country
My OS and his office obtained all the pre approvals from my insurance for all my replacements.

As far as pool therapy: I did official pool therapy with a therapist with my first hip before it was diagnosed and even though being in the water felt great it did not help with the hip pain till it was completely diagnosed and replaced.

Going4fun

graduate
Country
My surgeon's office submitted the insurance info ahead of time without any prompting from me. You will hear from your insurance and/or your surgeon's office if your insurance doesn't want to cover the surgery.

The operation is far too expensive out of pocket for surgeons to operate on us without knowing exactly what the finances will be. But you can always ask your surgeon's office.

Every surgeon has different views on how soon you can get into water and so on. My surgeon was fine with me showering right away, as I remember. In any case, it wouldn't be long before you could get into the pool. But talk to your surgeon about this. You want your surgeon's endorsement on these kinds of issues, and each surgeon has their own protocol based on their experience, their training and so on.

But it shouldn't be long before you can get into the pool.

pcola

Country
I use aquatic therapy 3x a week and find it very beneficial. I spend an hour in the pool jogging, isometrics and stretching. I believe it has helped my arthritis and allowed me to postpone THR for a while.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Joybeth
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom