THR April

Sunny64

Country
Canada Canada
Hi, I 'm having THR on april 15th, pretty nervous..

Hey @Sunny64 ! Welcome! Care to add more details? If you're comfortable that is.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Sunny64 Welcome to BoneSmart! Of course you are nervous - no one likes facing major surgery. But I can confirm you will be very happy to get this behind you and get on with living again.

Have a read in our hip recovery area. Lots of happy members in the many stages of this journey.

Which hip are you having replaced? I'll get you added to the April surgery group and put the information in a signature for you.

Last edited:
Congrats on making the decision to get a new hip and be pain free. It looks like you will be going a day before me. I have mine done on Friday. I’m nervous and a little excited to put this pain behind me. You will learn a lot here. Good luck.

Hello @Sunny64 - and :welome:

Here's some reading to help you prepare for your surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Thank you everyone for the sweet welcome. I'm having RTHR on thursday April 15th. My first one, first time major surgery too..so yeah I'm kind of petrified, but I know I can't go on in pain like this anymore so I'm ready to get this done. I'm 56 and I'm in Canada. I want to stay positive, and I want to do all I can to get my life back.

You made the right decision to have the surgery. I’m sure you won’t regret it. It will be so great to be rid of all that pain. Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you might have as there is always someone here willing to respond and everyone is so very helpful. Wishing you well with the surgery!

@Sunny64 I’m having my RTHR on April 20, so I’m right behind you. I can’t wait to be out of this pain. Surgery is always scary, but you will be so happy once it’s done and you’re on the road to recovery. I’ll be following your progress. Hope you will make a recovery thread when surgery is done!

Last edited:
Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us! I believe we all can relate to your anxiety. Sadly it seems there is no escaping it. Thankfully you don’t have long to wait now before you’re on the healing side. Stop by often, we’ll be here to support you through it all.
Wishing you comfort and peace of mind as you await next Thursday. I hope you have a nice weekend. :)
@Sunny64

Major surgery, let alone your first, is always scary. Just remember that these professionals do this every day and want the best outcome for you. Let them know how you’re feeling and what you need. They will be happy to help you any way they can. I think the pre-surgery anticipation was one of the worst parts. Don’t lose sight of why you’re doing this and that will help. Not too much longer now to get to the healing side.

@Layla and @Hip4life , Thanks SO much for your kind words, I'm trying to stay as calm as possible and I'm keeping my eye on the prize. I asked my surgeon last october what I could do while waiting for the surgery, he said " Stay positive" and I did ! I guess I need to just let go and get through it. It's really good to read your nice messages, thank you again xx Natalie

You’re welcome! :)
It will be okay, Sunny. We all felt anxious moving toward surgery. It's normal. You’re never alone here, we understand. Keep in mind that the medical professionals you'll deal with are doing what they’ve trained to do and what they do best. It will be just another Thursday for them. They want the best possible result, just as you do and will work to that end. I found everything moved pretty quickly on the day of my surgery. They keep it lighthearted and you're busy answering questions while being prepped. Also, they can give you something for anxiety and it does help take the edge off.

Joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevalent surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before offering an increase in the likelihood you’ll never have to experience this procedure again. It’s life changing. You’ll love it.

Wishing you lots of comfort and peace of mind as you await your date. You're will do great!
@Sunny64

@Layla , I guess one of the things that is giving me lots of anxiety is that I'm worried about complications, I already have bad lumbars an I also I think my other hip is not that great either, so I'm overthingking everything you know ... wondering if I'll be worst off with all the bagning and sawing they do..
I'm telling myself what if I'm worse off and then I'll have to sell my house and abandon my retirement travelling dreams , will never do gardening again.. and you know , the monkey mind kicks in big time , the tears come out of nowhere and I lose all my " braveness" .. I'm so emotional , I' m usually so cheery and happy and independant . I feel trapped even though I KNOW it has to be done because I'm hardly walking right now and been in pain for over a year. .. Sometimes I just can't wrap my head that I'm at this point in my life...

I guess one of the things that is giving me lots of anxiety is that I'm worried about complications, I already have bad lumbars an I also I think my other hip is not that great either
Worry not @Sunny64 ! As you can see in my signature I had spinal decompression several years before my first THR. And to this day I still have lumbar spine issues. The only impact was one flare of sciatic pain the day following my LTHR. But icing relieve this and I was good to go.

You will be so relieved once that hip is replaced. No more of that horrid bone on bone pain. And you will get back to all that you love!

Hello Sunny :SUNsmile:
Please try not to project, but take it day by day. I suffered a lot of anxiety pre-op also. I felt constantly bombarded with the “what if’s” to the point of tears also. I don’t know if you’re a person of faith, but I had to draw on my faith for consolation, day after day, sometimes minute by minute the closer I got to surgery. I was frightened also. I‘d pray that if surgery was meant to be I would keep moving forward (even though I wanted to run away) and only stop if there was a roadblock so obvious it stopped me. I basically walked in faith, because it’s all I could do. One day at a time.

You don’t have to worry about being worse off post op right now, nor think about selling your home, abandoning future travel, missing out on gardening or anything else you love or are planning. IF that was to happen and that’s a BIG “IF“, you’d deal with it when the time comes. Stay busy now with planning your recovery nest and occupying your mind in an effort to stifle those thoughts. Squeeze them out!

Try to think in a positive light on how THR will make a significant difference in your life for the better because those odds are in your favor. You’ll be steadier on your feet, stronger, living life again without pain. You’ll feel gratitude for a second chance. It’s life changing, truly. You gain a new appreciation for so many little things you realize you took for granted until you were limited as your natural hip deteriorated.
I'm hardly walking right now and been in pain for over a year.
I felt weary like this toward the end. In pain, feeling drained. I went to bed early every night the last week or two, just to get off my feet. The heating pad helped. I don’t know that it relieved pain as much as it was a comfort. I’d lay in bed at night and watch tv with it on.

I hope the time moves fast for you. Next Sunday will be here before you know it and you’ll be home on the road to recovery! I look forward to following your journey to hippy happy pain free!
Prayers for your comfort and peace of mind. :prayer: I hope today is a good one.

Following is a two year old post of mine that I’m hopeful will serve as an inspiration because I believe each of us has one of these moments post op that we store in our memory. You’ll have yours also. I do believe that!

“I was a month post op. I had just ditched my cane. Early one sunny July morning under sunshine and a clear blue sky, everything was green/blooming and birds were chirping as I walked into Whole Foods by myself to grocery shop. I wasn't limping into the grocery store for the first time in over a year. I was no longer in pain! I was thanking God as I walked through the parking lot knowing I could shop leisurely without heavily leaning on the cart, grabbing only what I needed to hurry back to the respite of my vehicle again, often shedding silent tears. Back then I was in pain, exhausted, felt older than my days. The feeling on that July day was a natural high and looking back on it is bittersweet only because I've grown comfortable with my new hip, which is great, but the sweetness, thankfulness and gratitude I felt in that moment in time is such a wonderful memory, one I never want to forget.

I'm so thankful for the second chance we get from this wonderful surgery. We're lucky we didn't live in a time when our only alternative would have been to live out our days in pain, many of us viewing the world from a wheel chair. We're blessed!”

@Jaycey Thank you for saying this, I,m reading your journey trhough your feed , you are SO positive , you make me smile! I'm usually like that too :)
So I,ve not read every post yet, but I assume you're walking without aid nowadays? How are you feeling?

"I was thanking God as I walked through the parking lot knowing I could shop leisurely without heavily leaning on the cart, grabbing only what I needed to hurry back to the respite of my vehicle again, often shedding silent tears. Back then I was in pain, exhausted, felt older than my days. The feeling on that July day was a natural high and looking back on it is bittersweet only because I've grown comfortable with my new hip, which is great, but the sweetness, thankfulness and gratitude I felt in that moment in time is such a wonderful memory, one I never want to forget.""

@Layla yes I am a person of faith and I love this message IT'S exactly ME right now with the pain ,and the going to bed at 8h30 just to relieve the achiness a little... and then you just give me so much hope for the future. Thank you , thank you, thank you . I know if everything works out fine, I too will never forget this two year journey through pain which will be ending soon.. And I'll be grateful for all the beauty in this world . You're right we ARE blessed , I will be Thank you Layla I wish I could hug you :))

Last edited:
Aww, virtual hugs to you, sweetie :console2::friends:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker