BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

April Rainbows - A Royal Member

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Jaycey, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    All you April Rainbows will be happy to hear that the Duke of Edinburgh (Prince Philip) has just had a THR today. At 96 that's pretty incredible. Happy Healing Sir!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

Only a month? Lucky him!

I wonder if his surgeon was the one who did both of the late Queen Mother's hips, Ms Sarah Muirhead-Allwood?

3. Gidget

Gidget member

Australia Australia
    Yeah. 96 yo with prostate and bladder problems and lung issues can get a THR and I can’t! I must be closer to death than I realised. I’m pleased for him and wish him quick healing, doesn’t mean I can’t be a tad jealous.

4. Jaycey

@Gidget and he only waited a month! I guess if you are paying for it you get their quicker. But you are right - it doesn't seem fair.

5. Gidget

Gidget member

Australia Australia
    @Jaycey I am private too. If I was accepted for surgery I could get it quickly. The hospital where I have my “chemo” (my Doc calls it chemo for wimps because it’s not real chemo but a modulator) do a lot of THRs and the wait is on average 2 weeks for private patients. I have Health insurance and was denied by two different private OS. Both the OS cited my health as the problem. I think they were just scared I would have a complication. I understand I have an increased risk to most people but I think if I signed off on the consent form stating I accept all risks...well, that should be my right. However, I understand they have a right to refuse if they aren’t comfortable as well. So conflicted.

I truly am pleased for Prince Philip. He’s a tough old bloke, where would we be if he stopped making some of his politically incorrect statements! I bet he keeps the Queen on her toes. Long may they both live.

PS I don’t have cancer at the moment I’m on maintainance therapy to keep me cancer free.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    @Gidget you're in my prayers. I'm so sorry for all you go through! It doesn't feel fair, or right.
    I hope you have a beautifully peaceful weekend. Your positive spirit is inspiring.

Now for some shallow!
    I'm just enchanted with all this Royal's biz, call me shallow but I'll get right into the royal wedding
    with all its drama. I'll wake up at 4:00am and turn on the tv and watch it in bed. It's all so fairytale to me
    the Prince marrying the commoner, who becomes a Princess. I like the glamor of it all....so the Queen can step down anytime, then bypass Chuckie and Cammie and go straight onto William and Kate. There you have it...
    Now.....off with my head! :rotfl:

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Gidget

Gidget member

Australia Australia
    There’s a big movement here to dispense with Royalty and become a Republic. Personally, I don’t care one way or the other. I suppose my thinking is, if it ain’t broken, don’t fix it. On the other hand we are geographically and increasingly culturally different to the UK that I can’t see the point of having a Monarch.

Yeah, it was a big thing here when a mere Tasmanian commoner married Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark who will be King in the not too distant future. Imagine an ordinary Aussie being Queen of Denmark. To make it more surreal...they met in a bar, I think it was in Sydney. I think it’s the growing up pretending youre a Princess thing. Maybe the fairy tale never goes away.

8. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

If an American lass can marry the sixth in line to the English throne, anything can happen!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Gidget

Gidget member

Australia Australia
    Yes, times change and for the better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jaycey

Just heard that Prince Philip is still in hospital. Wow - the rest of us would be kicked out long ago!

11. jaydub63

jaydub63 graduate

United States United States
    I just saw that he was discharged today - hope he continues to do well and can attend the upcoming wedding.

• Like Like x 1