Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR April no fooling

Vinkoru

Country
United States United States
Hi, I am scheduled to have TKR in my right knee at Kaiser Hospital in San Francisco on April 1, 2020. I had my left knee done in 2016, and wound up with several unwanted parting gifts: Three infections in my lungs and then sepsis. I was in ICU for several days and it took several weeks to regain enough strength to start knee rehab. Ultimately, my knee healed well and after much hard work, I got a great working knee with excellent function.

My right knee also needed replacement in 2016, but I was suffering with PTSD after the first knee surgery and could not bring myself to have a second TKR. For the next several years, I got cortisone injections and prolotherapy treatments and they bought me some time. Now, my knee is in abysmal condition and I am psychologically ready to get this one done.

I would appreciate any comments regarding emotional reactions others have had with these operations. Also, what kinds of side effects, if any, you may have suffered after surgery.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Vinkoru - and :welome:

I've made a signature for you and added you to the April Rainbows monthly surgery thread, where you'll be able to see who is having surgery around the same time as you are.

Here is some reading, to help you prepare for your surgery:
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

Country
Hello Vinkoru: I was a rollercoaster of emotions right before, and after and it helps to have people who've gone thru the process, surgery, recovery to talk to. At 11 weeks post-op I still say to myself sometimes 'HOW'D I DID THAT!?' The planing was a bit much.

You are in a great place here at Bonesmart!! So many vast experiences and great detailed advice and resources are available and shared here! Do know that every surgery is different, knee from knee, even those having both done at the same time. I really get the anxiety.

The hospital I had my surgery at was questionable in my opinion, in some areas, from past experiences. Yet ideal for my TKR surgery! I had to balance my emotions vs. objective findings, having located a top notch surgeon with high rankings for his abilities and team.

My surgeon listened to my concerns - helped me prepare for the surgery months before such as ending cigarette smoking to help minimize risk factors. I'd smoked one or two cigarettes a day for some time and my doctor requested I end that prior to surgery. I did.

The only minor complication, if you can call it that, was insomnia for a few weeks after my surgery.

I countered that by staying in bed longer, resting if not sleeping, than average delaying my PT a bit. But that bore no long term consequence: I went on to have good flexion so far, returning to work at 7.5 weeks. Using cane about 30-40% of the time, onward, along the journey.
We're here for you, day or night to as your prepare and during recovery. Think spring :flwrysmile:

Helizabug

graduate
Country
Yup! Stick with us. BoneSmart is really helpful for getting through tough times and celebrating big and small good things.

I am seeing someone tonight who works on releasing trauma for healing. I am not sure why this is a real thing, but people seem to get relief from it. I did just read a study that talks about feedback loops from past physical trauma that can complicate recovery by creating swelling and inflammation beyond what is called for by a current recovery. I’ll probably post about my experience with the trauma release stuff. It’ll all be anecdotal and based in my own experience, but maybe it will be helpful to others.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Decadeofbliss
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom