BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[BILATERAL TKR] april 24, 2019

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Rec917, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Rec917

Rec917 new member

United States United States
    I just found this wonderful site last night when I could not sleep. It contains great information and gives us a heads up on what to expect etc. I had my bilateral tkr on Wednesday morning April 24th. The following four weeks were the most painful experience of my life but after week four ended the pain started to subside and to date I am feeling pretty good. Currently I am taking PT three times a week, using a cane and have begin to drive. Soon I am going to take a water exercise class at the gym.
    So again thanks for the great information contained in this site...

2. Tmgrl3

Tmgrl3 junior member

This is great!! My surgeon warned me at 8 weeks to be especially cautious about feeling so good that I don’t overdo it. I was driving and running errands and on my fee 4 to 5 hours a day. I stopped pain meds one month after surgery (mine was March 21st) and now am back on just at night because my insomnia from pain at night was getting worse and worse. So this weekend I slowed way down, took my tramadol 50 mg at night, 2 spaced out and getting some sleep finally. Had gone for weeks and weeks with 5 or less hours of sleep. I have been without cane, too, since about 6 weeks. I have to remember, too, I am 76 years old and not act as though I am 20 years younger!! Keep it up. Very little to no knee pain during the day and now that I am slowing down my radiculopathy and neuropathy from my back nerve bundles running into feet and ankles is getting better. That was worse than the knee pain.

3. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi and Welcome to Bonesmart!

It sounds like your recovery is coming along nicely.

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

4. lisabl

lisabl member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    :welome:
    Just a word of warning about water exercise classes.... it is very easy to do too much and cause damage. I did a class last year after my PKR and immediately started to have problems with my IT Band, which took a further 6 weeks of PT to heal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I agree with lisabl .
    Because the water bears most of your weight, it's very easy to do too much without realising it - until you get back onto dry land, when you feel completely wiped out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. possum65

possum65 junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, as others have said, it is so easy to overdo it in the pool. I only used the pool once, preferring my exercycle.

7. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

My first time back in the pool I way overdid it. It took weeks for me to recoup. Please take it very slow. Do about 1/5 of what you think you can do. Then see how you feel that night and the next day. If not too bad, then you can do the same again or maybe even a tiny bit longer. But, it is so easy to overdo!