Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR April 22 THR

Suzibmy1

Country
United States United States
Hello all, In Dec I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of right hip. Had a cotisone injection in mid Jan. Unfortunately it only worked a short while. So I'm scheduled to have THR April22. As you might imagine I'm very anxious. At 70 yrs old I've been fortunate to still be healthy and active. Looking forward to learning from the experiences of others.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Suzibmy1 - and :welome:

I've made your signature for you, but please will you tell us which hip is being replaced, too? Thank you.
Here is some reading to help you prepare for your surgery:
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

OP
OP
S

Suzibmy1

Country
Glad to be a part of Bonesmart. My right hip (RTHR) on 4/22.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Suzibmy1 :wave:

Well, one of the hardest parts is making the decision to schedule the THR so you have that part over with!
Of course you are nervous/anxious, I remember being very anxious, too.
I hope hanging around with us on the forum helps. There are some great articles and threads to read and learn from.

I hope you aren't in horrible pain while you are waiting.

leejaa

Forum Advisor
Country
Welcome. Being anxious is quite normal. I do not know anyone who has not had concerns. For me what helped was reading up on what to expect and how to get ready and prep my home for recovery. For me the pain was extreme so my life had shrunk quite a bit so I kept trying to focus on my life after the pain was gone.

Please ask any questions you might have or concerns and someone will more than likely have some suggestions and ideas.

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
I think we all were anxious prior to surgery but I can say that almost everyone’s only regret is that they didn’t have the surgery sooner. Of course, you may have a bit of discomfort for a short time after surgery but the OA pain is totally gone and that is incredible. I found recovery actually went faster than I had anticipated but keep in mind that this varies from one person to the next. I also found this forum to be a huge help, both before and after surgery. There was always someone here to answer my questions or offer me support and encouragement when I needed it. That is a huge plus. I hope you’ll take advantage of the forum, too, and post your questions or concerns here so everyone can help you, too. I was 73 when I had my hip replaced and it all went just fine. I’m sure you’ll find the same thing. Sending good wishes your way.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
:wave: @Suzibmy1 and welcome to Bone Smart, happy that you've joined us. Lots of great information here to read up on and great folks that will share their tips, shortcuts and recovery journeys with you to help you while waiting. The waiting is really the toughest part.

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
I think we all were anxious prior to surgery but I can say that almost everyone’s only regret is that they didn’t have the surgery sooner.
Welcome @Suzibmy1. You will find many articles here that will ease your anxiousness.
We are all the same but @GrannyC nailed it with her comment above. The surgery itself is the easiest part of the whole adventure. You will be amazed how wonderful is NOT to feel the osteoarthritis pain again.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Decadeofbliss
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom