THR April 12 - Second THR

About same for me...$1200 was my share. $150 for ambulance but I took 3 ambulances to get to the hospital and one was a water taxi! So not complaining.

Hi all,

Just letting you (on the USA side of the pond) know that, in the ‘poor old UK’ we don’t have to pay for any of this…not the surgery, not the ambulance (is it really necessary, anyway?), not the physiotherapy, not the pack of medicines at discharge from hospital, not the follow-up consultation, … except, of course, we simply pay it through our taxes. I’m due to have my second TKR in a few months from now; there’s no way my wife and I could afford to pay for the treatment ourselves! Thank goodness for our NHS (National Health Service).

Fanny,
Yes, I was on vacation when my hip fractured. I had slipped on ice in my driveway about 2 weeks before a scheduled vacation to the Virgin Islands. We usually go every February for my birthday.
As soon a I fell I could feel terrible pain in my hip and I started crawling back to the house when my partner saw me and came out to rescue me. I told him "I think I just broke my hip." He said "let me get you up" which he did and I was able to walk into the house. About 3 hours later I could walk but it was painful so took myself to Urgent Care for X-Ray and to get checked out. Took X-Ray, said nothing broken probably good bruise, 3-4 days should be ok.
So we proceeded with vacation but in all honesty I was in pain from then on. About 4th day of vacation we went to the beach and I sat in low beach chair and that was that, couldn't walk anymore. Whatever damage I had done from driveway fall was now full blown injury.
No hospital on St. John, just clinic, they took me to clinic and I told the doctor everything that had transpired up to that point, they took X-Ray and she looked at me and said 'Your hip is fractured." Off to ferry dock in ambulance, then water ambulance to St Thomas and one more ambulance from ferry dock to hospital in St Thomas. Operated on next AM, flew home 4 days later. Most people get a tee shirt on vacation, I got a new hip.

@myglasshalffull, oh, my goodness! What a story. That had to have been terrible. They could have saved you a whole lot of trouble if they had read that x-ray correctly!

@geoffbh, we pay insurance premiums and co-pays. It can get quite expensive, but I didn’t think $1,000 out-of-pocket was that much. I guess I am desensitized to it! No copays for my follow up visits; that’s all baked into the cost of my procedure. If I choose to do physical therapy (I likely won’t because I don’t need it), my co-pay will be $25/visit.

I’m okay with national health insurance here as long as we continue to have the same quality of care and accessibility to medical services we have now. Fortunately, our system means no long wait times for services. Unfortunately, our system is a for-profit healthcare model which has definite downsides.

*I should clarify, I pay premiums + copays. My son works for Microsoft and they have free insurance. :wink:

What a story. That had to have been terrible. They could have saved you a whole lot of trouble if they had read that x-ray correctly!
Well hindsight is 20/20 but I could walk and do most of my everyday chores, in pain but somewhat manageable with some Advil and Tylenol. My guess is maybe I just had a "hairline" fracture on first trip to Urgent Care??? And then all the activities I was doing put the icing on the cake. We will never know for sure, I guess I should have asked for a copy of the X-Ray but I didn't. When doctor told me nothing was broken I was just so happy! Didn't think past that, all I knew is I had a two week vacation on the horizon!
Certainly would have rather had my surgery here but the hospital was very nice and majority were stateside doctors.
I survived!

One month today! :yay: Somehow, my perception of time and reality feel skewed for the past month. I think it might be the drugs and sleep issues (sleep all day, don’t sleep enough, etc.), as well as a few days spent in a fog of pain, that contributed to this strangeness. It is no surprise to me now I don’t remember my first recovery well. I think my memories of this one would be dreamy and ephemeral if I hadn’t documented it here.

No big changes to report, but I did want to commemorate ONE MONTH with a post. I feel like my energy is building a little from the beginning of the week. I cooked my first dinner last night while hubs mowed! I am noticing little changes for the better here and there. For example, I stand without pulling myself up or pushing off on something and then suddenly realize, “Hey! I just did that!” I did some very gentle stretches on my surgery hip yesterday and could feel how much my range of motion is improved already, even with some continued swelling. All in all, life is good here! I still have work and healing to do but I’m pleased with my progress at one month.

Happy Mother’s Day weekend, friends! :flwrysmile:

Happy One Month Anniversary, Miss Fanny!
Thanks for updating and sharing the little changes for the better you're noticing.
As you know, more are on the way! :happydance:
Have a great weekend!
@MissFanny

Back to work full time this week. Monday was dreadful. I just sat in my computer chair trying to get caught up. By the time I got off work, I was swollen from my hip to my foot and wiped out. I second guessed my decision to return to work, but I have been a lot more diligent and disciplined about following post-op care instructions since then. I take breaks throughout the day to ice, elevate, walk, and stretch. I have been wearing light compression socks which helps a lot, too. I raise my desk to standing during meetings. Feeling much better now that I have a good routine figured out.

In fact, I can’t complain. I am feeling pretty darn great. I take ibuprofen 2x/day now: in the morning and before bed. I have been doing yard work and gardening. I give my hips a pretty good stretch. I can walk 1 mile+ without aid or breaks and I’m walking about 3 mph hour. I’m faster than that normally, but considering I still have a pretty good clunking going on in that hip, I am pleased with 3 mph for now.

I was really hoping to get my bad eating habits under control but I am not quite there yet. For now, I have cut out sweets and I am trying to be more active. Now is probably not the time to diet anyway. But at least I don’t want to keep gaining weight!

We have a music festival this weekend. I am feeling pretty confident about it. Luckily it’s local so I can scram if I get too tired or uncomfortable. I took Friday off. I took the Friday of Memorial Day weekend off, too. I have a ton of PTO to use up but I don’t want to schedule it while I am gimpy. :heehee: I should know better how far my healing has come by Memorial Day weekend. I can do a lot of stuff already, but I am not ready for anything like camping (we tent camp in a glamping tent, but it’s still an effort getting up and down off the air mattress bed) or long hikes. Hopefully, by mid July!

ETA: I just realized today it’s been 5 weeks since surgery! I am way ahead of my last recovery. Last time, I remember being concerned about being off my cane by my 6-week checkup. My PA set a goal to for me to be off the cane and not limping by then. I think I was only using my cane until 3 weeks this time! I have never limped with either hip. But I think I am also more confident this time. With the first surgery, I was afraid to be caught somewhere without my cane and need it.

Last edited:
But I think I am also more confident this time
I'm sure you are! The first time around we don't know what to expect; but you are now an expert at this recovery! Glad to read you are doing so well!

Music festival today. Gulp. How will I do? We shall soon find out.

I am going on a big national parks tour with my daughter and her family June 23-30. I have a bunch of PTO to use up, but my husband doesn’t get as much, so I invited myself along on their Yellowstone/western USA vacation. :heehee: I did repeatedly ask, “Are you sure this is okay?” But they are glad to have someone help with the driving, cost, and looking after my grandson. I am looking forward to making memories with them! I have to work on getting in better shape, though. They’re not big hikers like my son and his wife, so now, while I’m still recovering, is probably the best time for me to vacation with them. They are more “sightseers.” So, I will do a little hiking around our cabin but mostly see the sights with them. That should be a good pace for me at 2 months post op.

When I spent a month in Arizona with my son and DIL, I was averaging 18-20k steps/day—many on mountains. Ibuprofen and ice were my best friends. I had one good (operated) hip and one bad (still needed replaced) hip. It was super fun, but I look forward to the mellow pace with my daughter and her fam.

I survived day one. We got there at 4:30 and left at 10:30. I was pretty swollen when I got home. I did get up and walk quite a bit. Stood and watched (and swayed a little in a dance-like motion) a song or two by each of the bands, but standing causes more pain. Hubby wanted to go back earlier today, but I think I have convinced him we should go from 5-11 pm tonight. Oh, I brought an extra cushion for my camping chair—that helped a little, too.

Last edited:
Great news, Miss Fanny...out there shaking your groove thing! :happyfeet: Well, maybe thats an over exaggeration but at least you're getting back to life and the things you love. Tonight may be only chair dancing for you. :wink:
Have fun...enjoy!
@MissFanny

@Layla, I enjoyed getting out and back to life more than I thought I would. We have a little group of friends who enjoy concerts and music festivals and I got to see and chat with most of them. Everyone was raving about how well I am doing for five weeks and that made me feel good!

I survived the 2-day local music festival! I brought my grandson with us on Saturday and we had so much fun. This was a really family friendly affair. Kids 12 and under were free and they had all sorts of fun activities set up for the kids. His favorites were laser tag and the silent disco. I spent a ton of time on my feet—13,628 steps Saturday alone + lots of standing. I was completely wiped out yesterday. I did some light housework and went on 2 short walks with my grandson before taking him home. Then I sat on the deck or in a recliner for HOURS counting the minutes until I could go to bed. I am definitely better—in fact, I can hardly believe what I managed this weekend—but I am far from back to “normal.” I also took more ibuprofen and broke out the since forgotten bottle of Tramadol for a pre-bedtime dose to manage all this.

Our next concert is July 6 and it’s one with seats. But then July 7-8 we have another local music festival. I should be doing really well by then, though. That’s a week shy of 3 months.

Now I need to get in shape for the national parks trip at the end of June. Going to try cutting out sugar and heavily processed foods and increasing my walking.

I am getting there! Still hella sore, though. Just kind of gritting my teeth and plodding on. I am sleeping okay luckily. Once I get in bed with my feet up, the pain melts away! Oh, I slept on my operated hip for a little while last night. It felt fine at first, but I woke up about an hour later achy. I am excited I could tolerate it at all, though. That is my preferred side to sleep on. Can’t wait until I can do that again. I will keep trying.

Did my longest, fastest unassisted walk without breaks to date! 1.3 miles in 24 minutes. I feel awesome! Very minimal clunking in the hip. I felt it a couple times, but it is much improved since my first longish walk, which was pretty much clunk, clunk, clunk the whole way.

I have walked longer than this, but I took breaks and used hiking poles. I am trying to improve my distance and speed without poles or breaks.

Six weeks tomorrow!

:dancy:

Six weeks since surgery today!

:walking::walking::walking::walking::walking:

I walked a brisk two miles this morning to celebrate! All I can say is whatta difference six weeks makes!

I consider myself very fortunate because I got a diagnosis of OA nine years before I needed my joint replacements. I knew they were in my future and about when to expect them. I hiked the evening before each of my surgeries and got up and walked a mile the morning of each of my surgeries. I had to check in at 5:45 am so that was about all I could muster at that early hour. I never limped before or after my surgeries. I walked well before and continue to walk well after, so I can focus my attention and energy on walking longer and faster. I know that is lucky and I am thankful for it.

I am not 100% decided on this but I would like to train to walk a half marathon at the Mesa Marathon in February of 2024. My son and DIL live in Phoenix and said they would join me for it. My goal is to walk it in 4 hours. I still need to confirm how my healing goes. I was climbing mountains 3 months after my first hip replacement, and I am hopeful I will heal that well this time. But I won’t do anything to jeopardize my wellbeing, so I won’t make a firm decision about that until 3-4 months when I know how I am doing for sure. But meanwhile, I am going to walk as much as possible!

I see my surgeon tomorrow for x-rays. I fully expect and hope the implant looks good! I will check in tomorrow with my results.

Happy Wednesday, BoneSmart friends. I am feeling amazing today and hope you are, too! :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom