THR April 12 - Second THR

Now that my brain isn’t foggy with painkillers, I could have a Stanley Kubrick film festival if I only had one more week without work! Alas, I will have to watch them like a “normal” person—spaced out over time.
Ha - I was crabby about going back to work before I had finished all nine seasons of Falcon Crest. I thought, 'well, now that I'm not so anxiety ridden, I could really use the time to just finish this show instead of watching an ep over lunch like a normal working stiff!
Still using the toilet riser. After two surgeries, I would like to burn that thing in a raging bonfire, but when I look at the toilet without it, it looks a long way down!

A few weeks ago, I was in the weight room at the gym and sat down on a chair, proceeded to do some dumbbell stuff. Looked over at another chair and thought, 'geez, that is crazy low! No way could I do that!' And then looked back in the mirror and realized my chair was exactly the same height as the other, LOL. It's just amazing how your perception changes as you heal -

I still have the toilet seat riser, though. See, if I take it off, I have to clean it and then I have to clean the entire toilet again and then the whole bathroom and then....well, tired just thinking about it. Laziness for the win!

You're doing great -

@djklaugh and @myglasshalffull, yes! The mundane becomes extraordinary when you suddenly lose the ability to do those things. I hope I never lose the appreciation for all my body can do, gained as a result of these surgeries. @djklaugh, those spontaneous, unplanned moments are the best! You do something like stand without using anything to pull yourself up—or talk to your neighbor with an armload of groceries—and suddenly realize, “Hey! I just did that!” I feel a deep and sincere appreciation for it all these days.

I wish I had better records of my first recovery, but I know for sure this one has gone smoother. For one, the person whom I rely on so much for help (my husband) has told me. I have mentioned in other posts, but I don’t remember my first recovery that well. Things I do know: I am getting back to work a week earlier; I returned my bed a week earlier; I am side sleeping already (I had to sleep on my back with feet elevated a full 6 weeks last time); I have far less swelling.

I am up to comfortably walking an average of 7,500 steps per day. Still haven’t added any formal exercises to the mix but I am alternating legs going up and down stairs now. I am slow and cautious on those stairs but I’m doing it!

We took another day trip yesterday to one of my favorite parks and some quaint little nearby villages. I saw my first Baltimore oriole of the season and sound IDed two kinds of vireos and a parula. Couldn’t see those little guys though—didn’t bring binoculars! We were about 2 hours south of home and the lilacs and carpets of wildflowers were in bloom. Lovely day!

IMG_8671.jpeg
IMG_8674.jpeg

These photos are from a garden created inside the old foundation of a mill.

Last edited:
@thepuckhead, I wondered what show you were watching. Falcon Crest! Too funny! It sounds riveting!

I can’t wait until I don’t notice how low seats are! Currently, I look at many park benches and public toilets and think, “Ah, hell no!” :loll:

Thank you for stopping by with your good humor and energy and giving me something to smile and giggle about! :flwrysmile:

9,785 steps yesterday. :sos: That was a bit much, but my 8-year-old grandson was over. It was supposed to rain and we were going to play board games, but it cleared off unexpectedly and we were on the go instead. Needless to say, I was the “rotten egg” in every challenge of speed. After he left, I spent the evening in a recliner with ice. I feel good today! Whew!

BTW, still not using my watch for goals. But I do like to see how many steps I have amassed at the end of the day and how that number progresses as the days pass.

I reread the BoneSmart recommendation on exercise and I know my surgeon holds the same beliefs. I have decided against adding exercises beyond what I am doing now because I am doing so well! I don’t want to set myself back. Right now, I am walking a lot and working on what I call “functional” exercises, such as: walking with good form and posture; alternating legs up and down stairs; and slowly bending to pick things up off the floor, tie my shoes, and eventually put my socks on. I added more formal exercise recommended by a PT at 6 weeks last time and that worked out well. I saved all of her printouts.

I tried to skip my 1 am dose of ibuprofen last night and my hip woke me at 2 am saying, “Hey, lady. You forgot something!” Idk if that was a result of all my activity or if I truly still need that 1 am dose. I will test it again tonight.

Back to work today! Eek! I can tell that caused me a little subconscious anxiety because I “only” slept 7 hours 45 minutes instead of my usual 8.5 hours. :heehee: Lucky it’s only 4 hours/day this week. That will give me time to get through email and catch up on project statuses before digging in for real next week.

ETA: Rarely use my cane in the house now, but still use it outside and in public places. It makes me feel more secure to have it “just in case.”

Happy Monday, all!

Last edited:
Good luck on your first day back, don't overdo! I use my phone to count my steps but I don't have it on me 24/7. But still like to see how many steps I took and how my asymmetry is stacking up.
Dentist this AM...

@myglasshalffull, does your surgeon recommend antibiotics before dental work? Mine does even just for a cleaning. Trying to gauge what others are requesting/requiring.

It’s going to be a good day! :flwrysmile:

1. Walked up and down those beastly attic steps using just the handrail—no cane!
2. Put my socks on with my own two hands! Both feet!
3. I took a course and two hard tests to be certified in one of the software programs I am admin for at work before I went on leave. Logged in at work and I PASSED! I am certified, bonafide, I know my stuff! Kind of. :)

@MissFanny The question of antibiotics before dental procedures has been debated for years! Some surgeons insist on it, and others do not. My surgeon (and HMO) insisted on it for 2 years after joint replacement .... but after that you didn't need to any more.

Best advise -- do what your surgeon says to do!

@djklaugh, I think my surgeon requires two years even though that has been debunked. My dentist let me decline last time, but I don’t think he will again. I may just get my teeth cleaned 1x/year instead of 2x/year for the next two years. This way I reduce my exposure to unnecessary antibiotics by half. I don’t get a lot of tartar anyway.

@myglasshalfful does your surgeon recommend antibiotics before dental work? Mine does even just for a cleaning. Trying to gauge what others are requesting/requiring.
Yes, for 2 years, 2,000 mg of Amoxicillin one hour before your appt even for cleaning.

I usually have AM appt for dentist so I eat some yogurt before I take the antibiotic.
I think I've been to dentist 3x's since my surgery and once February 2024 arrives I won't have to take the antibiotics for dental visit.

My consultant and my dentist both said antibiotics are not required for a dental checkup or teeth cleaning, only for more complex work like implants. In the UK.
I’m wondering if you guys are in the USA.

@Gloucestergal65, yes, I am in the US. Not thrilled at the prospect of taking 4 strong doses of antibiotics just to get my teeth cleaned, but it is beginning to sound like my surgeon is not out of line with practices here.

I was hasty in returning to work—I underestimated how exhausting the mental toll is. I only worked 8-noon, but I was wiped out after. I only managed a 20-minute walk all day and I slept less than 6 hours last night, and that was after taking a sleeping pill. I wish now I had given myself another week. Hopefully, I toughen up by the end of the week. I also skipped my 1 am dose of ibuprofen and that didn’t work out. Now I took a dose at 4 am, my ungodly waking hour, and my whole schedule is off.

Anyway, don’t follow my lead in hurrying back to work. 0/5 stars—not worth it. :heehee: Super glad I am only back half days. My quick healing psyched me out and made me believe I am Superwoman. Maybe I will get an early start since I am up so early today and then go back to bed! Totally dreading this, but I have a 2-hour meeting on Thursday. I will have to excuse myself and take a couple walk breaks during that. Fortunately, that’s my only meeting this week since everyone thought I would still be out.

@MissFanny I retired in June from paid work. Just grandparent duties three days a week which I share with my partner and to be fair he does most of the work. I have found it interesting hearing people talking about going to work. I know that even at nearly five months, a busier than usual day can wipe me out. At least I didn’t have to try it out.
The whole antibiotic situation is a difficult one. I’m keeping a close eye on the cut on my heel and hoping now to have to go down that route. I cried off Acqua Aerobics this morning because I don’t know how clean the pool is and there was some blood on the plaster this morning so it clearly isn’t healed yet. Normally I’d be very gung-ho about such things but my OS stressed taking care of cuts more than anything else.
Take care and have a good day.

Have a good day, as well, @Gloucestergal65! Retirement sounds amazing right now. I hope that cut heals without incident. Smart move staying out of the water right now. I just read an article about how dirty pool water is! Take care and heal quickly! :flwrysmile:

The antibiotics for dental procedures seems to be all over the place depending on your doctor. I know some folks that say their doctor said for life they need the antibiotics prior to dental work.
Mine said 2 years.
My next appt isn't until November so that will be final time I have to do the antibiotics cause I go 2x's per year for cleaning and generally have no other issues with my teeth.
It's a controversial issue for sure.

FOUR weeks! :spin: Somehow the days leading up to this felt endless, yet it also went by quickly.

My new milestones include:

• Pretty much walk without a cane all the time now. I never used it once yesterday and went on two walks.
• Threw that toilet riser in the trash! Buh bye!
• Completely dress myself, including socks and shoes, without any assistive devices.
• Back to work half days but not loving that. I don’t exercise or sleep as much as I did before I returned to work. Even though I am only doing half days, I find myself thinking about work a lot.
• Thigh and knee pain have resolved! My hip’s aching pretty good now, though.

I still take ibuprofen around the clock on a schedule and need it to manage pain. I still ice 2x a day or more depending on how active I have been. I haven’t resumed cooking because I am pretty low energy—especially now that I went back to work. In fact, the past couple days since returning to work, I have done a whole lot of sitting.

All in all, pleased with my progress. If I could go back, I would give myself one more week before resuming work. I underestimated how much that would impact my energy and ability to be active.

On that note, need to get cleaned up and log on. I want to be done early. I have to pop into the office for my mail and my work bestie and I are going out for lunch. My employer supports our symphony and they sent me free tickets to a Rachmaninoff concert on Sunday. They are performing his second piano concerto and second symphony. I am taking my blind friend who loves music—he has two degrees in music and is an organist. Anyway, need to grab those tickets and see what else came in for me. Someone said I got an award for my volunteer efforts. I volunteered 130+ hours in 2022. That won’t be happening in 2023 with all I have going on!

Be well, everyone!

Happy Wednesday, friend.
:SUNsmile:
:flwrysmile::happydance:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
007Knee
Recent bookmarks