BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Apprehensive

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by HazelBun, Dec 7, 2018 at 7:06 AM.

1. HazelBun

HazelBun new member

United States United States
    Did all the appointments. Still scared about the after. I come from a military background. Who gives me the timeframe goals of what to aim for and achieve, the doctors, rehab? For myself, these are critical to know to gage progress and prevent depression.

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @HazelBun unfortunately recovery does not happen in the straight line. Every recovery is different - even on the same person. I can give you a copy of our recovery guidelines though. Note item 5 - the activity progression. There is also a chart representation of TKR recovery. Again, these are only rough guidelines. There is no predicting how you will react to TKR.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork

3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
    Energy drain for TKRs
    Elevation is the key
    Ice to control pain and swelling
    Heel slides and how to do them properly
    Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

3. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You can get general timeframes from recovery information and threads, but no "by the numbers" specifics, because each recovery is completely unique.

I found BoneSmart before my surgery (like you have) and went into surgery thinking, "By this date I will be (whatever activity)." Be it moving from a walker to using a cane, or walking without assistance, or going on a trip to the grocery store, I had a general idea of when I might be doing it. Standing, three hours after surgery. Check. Climbing stairs, two days after surgery. Check. Taking a longer view, I told Mr. Shoes I wouldn't be up to grocery shopping for a couple months...

Turns out I did it in five weeks. That's what happens with general timeframes. I was right that it would be a while before I could manage such a trip (I had bilateral replacements, so that enters into it also) but I was able to do it before my prediction. That happens. It happened a lot. But so does not being able to do something as soon as predicted. My surgeon told me I would be walking on my own without a cane at 3 weeks.

Didn't happen. I walked without a cane (outside, not around the house) at eight weeks. In the long view of things, that was just fine.

And that's the thing. Your knee will be wherever it is in its healing, and you will be able to do whatever it is up to doing. It might be early. It might be later. The least stressful -- and most healing -- thing to do is go with it. Be happy with little victories, of which there will be many, and try not to place too many expectations on a knee that -- whatever your hopes and schedules for it -- is going to do its own thing anyway.

When it comes to your and your knee... your knee sets the pace.

4. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I do*.

Your goal in rehab is to allow and to help your body to do its thing, healing. You allow healing by rest, relax, ice and elevation to leave the maximum amount of energy available to your body. You help it by not trying to push it along. You can't train yourself into fast rehab (it's an injury issue, not one of unfitness) but you can slow progress by overdoing things and compounding the damage.

*Oh alright, you do. All knees are different and your progress is owned and monitored by you.

5. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    There is no "normal" time frame for recovery from a knee replacement.
    It depends on how much work has to be done on your knee during surgery, how your body heals, and how you treat your knee.

It is major surgery, causing a lot of trauma. In general, complete recovery takes a full year, although you will be feeling "almost better" long before that.
    It is more like a marathon than a sprint, and you'll need to pace yourself, with lots of patience.

The first month is the hardest. It is a time for beginning healing. After that, you will gradually be able to undertake more activities.
    By about 3 months, you will be able to do most things, although you rinee will still hurt and swell if you try to do too much.

Recovery from a knee replacement is not a straightforward, linear progression. It'smore like a roller-coaster, or "two steps forward, one step back."
    Healing: how long does it take?

6. CAdesgirl

CAdesgirl new member

I finish my pre-op medical appointment next week (just the doctor seeing the lab results/xrays and doing an EKG). I don't have a date yet (looking like late January or early February). I can't get a date until I get medical clearance. I'm nervous, too. :groan: I am less nervous after finding this forum but there's still the unknown and "how am I going to do?". Since my last surgery (ACI not TKR) turned in 8 in 10 months, I'm doing a lot of reading the postop messages to watch those that have been through it. Seeing them go from frustrated and scared to feeling accomplished has boosted my confidence that I will make it through. I expect I'll forget all of the reading when I get to the self-pity stage :elevate: but I'm really glad to have found this group.