THR Anyone out there a pigeon toed leg crosser who had the posterior approach?

Merrimay

graduate
Country
United States United States
I've heard a lot about the 90 degree rule, but only learned yesterday that crossing midline or going pigeon toed is a no-no.
I've panicked that I'm very likely to dislocate! My go-to position while lying on my back is to cross my ankles. As for standing, I've been slightly pigeon toed since childhood. At 67, those are entrenched habits. One moment of distraction is all I need to turn my toes in. I went online and saw that long abductor pillow on Amazon. Do you think it's worth buying? The reviews on Amazon are mixed. As for walking, is there any bonesmarter out there who had the posterior approach and cane up with ways to undo their lifelong way of walking? Thank you!

Not pigeon toed but I always crossed my ankles. Somehow I wanted my THR recovery to be problem free and I broke my habit. I was very aware post-op and it wasn't that big of a problem for me.

@Merrimay I had posterior during my LTHR. I too just broke the ankle crossing habit. You new hip will probably complain if you try and cross the midline too early.

Following my RTHR I had no restriction (lateral approach) but I stuck with the 90 degree and no midline cross rules as my hip didn't want to move that way at first.

Speak to your surgeon about this concern.

I think you're just going to have to break the habit of ankle or leg crossing. It takes paying attention all-the-time.
Coming home from surgery, I didn't get one of those nifty ice machines, but they gave me a lovely foam abduction wedge. It's a medieval torture device made out of 20th century materials, but it works to keep the legs positioned correctly while you're sleeping. Or more likely, trying to sleep. I used mine for around 5 days while I slept in the recliner, then had to use it when I moved to the bed. My OS's instructions were to use it for at least 3 months. The problem with that is the super duper velcro combined with not being able to reach it meant I needed someone to release the straps when I needed a middle of the night bathroom break - which came every hour when the leg swelling was going down.
My home PT guy showed us how to wedge pillows effectively instead, which worked a lot better, more comfortable and lots more convenient.
At my 1 year check-up, the surgeon cautioned me about ankle crossing and crossing midline, and told me no knee to chest stretches. Maybe your OS isn't as conservative, but be prepared.
It's all worth it though. I'll trade ankle crossing for a pain free hip any day. Or night. :dancy:

I had anterior but was still given the no crossing ankles or knees restriction. A few times I look down at my feet in the recliner and am shocked to find my feet crossed. Also sleep with pillow under knees when flat on my back or between knees when I roll over nononoperated side. Toes don't point in so not a problem. Knees will roll together if chair is to soft. Put a stiffer cushion in chair if you find this.

Hi Eman 85, i'm motivated as well. Already I'm constantly checking my foot position, so perhaps I'll be cautious enough to have it go as well as you did. Thanks for the encouragement

Jacey, good to know the post-op physical effects may well keep a check on my tendencies to cross midline. That makes sense, actually, doesn't it. Thank you.

Hi, Subie2021,
My OS is very conservative, and I'm interested to learn of that abduction pillow. Went on Amazon and you're right: totally medieval. I live alone, so after my sister leaves on Day 10, no one will be around to help me get out of the thing. I go for the Pre-op PT session on the 10th, and I'll ask them about it and practice. If I decide there is no way I'll be able to get out of it to go to the bathroom, I'll get them to show me the pillow technique your PT showed you. Do you fold a pillow between your knees, then fold another one at your ankles? Wondering if I can tie myself into them with more easily opened bungee cords. Lol

Hi, Kanne, great suggestion to use a stiffer chair cushion in a recliner! I'd not considered how the knees do come together as you move around in one. Thanks for the tip!

Merrimay, I tried using a grabber on the velcro, but the pincers weren't strong enough. My grabber has a little nubby thing on the end also, if yours has one try using that to separate the velcro.
My PT guy's system used 3 or 4 pillows, depending on the comfort and elevation needed. Lay one pillow longwise under your calves and heels. Then place another crosswise over that, so your lower calves, ankles, and heels are supported. The third pillow is folded in half and stuffed between your legs between ankles and lower legs. Add the 4th pillow as needed, for more elevation under your legs, or folded for more adduction.
He also suggested that I prop my head and shoulders on another 2 or 3 pillows. That took a lot of pressure off my back and made sleeping in bed possible.
Because I was stuck with sleeping on my back, and it hurt to move much, the pillows stayed put and my feet maintained their position. I took the grabber to bed and used it to poke them if they shifted a little.
My home PT fella was very experienced with joint replacements and in-home PT. He was a super resource for all sorts of suggestions for making those first 2-3 weeks a lot easier for me.

Subie2021, holy cow! Thank you, thank you for that detailed and doable strategy! I've practiced it just now and think it will work-- even for a tosser and turner like me. I'm grateful to you for sharing that strategy. The medieval pillow with velcro had me worried. Hugs!

I used 1 pillow between my legs, just a plain old bed pillow, worked fine. In the first weeks you won't have much urge to do anything foolish unless you just like pain. I was a side stomach sleeper but of course post-op I was a back sleeper. I went to bed every night and placed the pillow between my legs, no big deal. When you do get an inclination to roll the pillow will keep your leg from flopping and I could eventually sleep on my non-op side. Having a THR and using the pillow has actually helped my sleeping and I still use a pillow between my legs. It has helped tremendously with my back as it keeps me a side sleeper and stops me from going past that onto my stomach which hurt my back. Took having THR's to teach me what made my back hurt.

I've heard a lot about the 90 degree rule, but only learned yesterday that crossing midline or going pigeon toed is a no-no.
I've panicked that I'm very likely to dislocate! My go-to position while lying on my back is to cross my ankles. As for standing, I've been slightly pigeon toed since childhood. At 67, those are entrenched habits. One moment of distraction is all I need to turn my toes in. I went online and saw that long abductor pillow on Amazon. Do you think it's worth buying? The reviews on Amazon are mixed. As for walking, is there any bonesmarter out there who had the posterior approach and cane up with ways to undo their lifelong way of walking? Thank you!
I think pigeon toes are usually due to leg bones twisted in the womb. Often genetic. So it is not a habit, but a condition. I would have insisted on an anterior surgery if I had been warned about the prohibition of pigeon toes. Sleeping with toes straight is a tough challenge. I feel doomed.

Hi @Yogini
Welcome to Bonesmart.
I think Merrimay's concern about pigeon toed condition has been allayed and she is recovering well.
Her recovery thread is Here.

Are you due for a hip replacement or recovering from hip replacement?
I feel doomed.
I sure hope this is pre-op nerves.
Please consider starting a thread so we can hopefully lend some advice and support.

Here's the link that gives you the instructions you need to do this: Starting a new thread and posting

@Yogini has a recovery thread here.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Pbrunmier