TKR Anyone have this problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My physio said you can have 'remembered pain'. That she had a patient who suffered pain when walking but when asked to walk backwards had no problem. It was just that she expected it to hurt,,,so it did! Just need to retrain the brain.

I wonder if hopefaith's kinesiotape idea would help retrain your knee-brain? I walk well but I am stiff when I first stand up. The first couple of steps are a bit stiff but then fine. I had this last time too but gradually it just went away.

I just got an email from a friend of mine from high school, Class of 1969. One classmate is in a nursing home with her second brain tumor. Another one is in the same home with a broken back, and the third one has stage 4 liver and pancreas cancer. Guess I should quit my whining about a stiff knee!

I never heard of that tape. How do you use it and where do you buy it?

@mudonk I'm so sorry for your loss of Uncle Hermie. We also just lost a fur baby. It's hard to take especially when you are going through this recovery.

I'm wondering if you are having muscle spasms when you stand. I had the same thing about a week ago but it only lasted a couple of days. I mentioned it to my physical therapist and she massaged my quad with cocoa butter and she used a scraper like thing to really get into that muscle and work the tightness out. This only happened when I stood up. If I looked at my knee while it was happening I could literally see it pulling my knee cap upwards. It was very tight and hurt like a muscle cramp. Maybe try vigorously massaging your quad muscle with some lotion or oil and see if that helps?

I hope it improves for you soon. Your ROM is amazing!

I don't know I don't know!! I massaged my knee yesterday and I may have massaged it too hard. I didn't think I was when I was doing it...I think I bruised it, and that's the last thing I needed to do. I'm acting like some obsessed mad women. I can feel it tighten when I stand. It's like some creature is crawling around in there. I have had the feeling a few times where it feels like it's yanked up. But it's been tight the whole way through. Thought the tightness would be gone when the rom came along. I'm so frustrated I'd like to scream!!

A knee sleeve may help you with this problem. The tape may help also, you will have try them to see what works. Amazon has the tape, and most running stores.
Have you asked your OS, he may have some suggestions. A PT can show you how to use the tape.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®

I had that feeling till about nine months it will go away. one day it will just be gone.

Hi @mudonk so sorry to hear about your cat dreadful when a pet passes
now onto the peg leg, I had a new knee due to bone on bone arthritis due to the pain beforehand gradually over time I walked peg leg and honestly could not remember how to walk normal. I asked my physio about this as I really was concerned that I did everything straight legged even planting in the garden over a 100 plants. so even though my ROM currently is only 80 she has told me to walk like I am dragging my leg through mud looks odd but slowly I am retraining my brain to walk with a bend in my knee, I am not saying I am there yet but it is also things like bending down to get things from the floor I have to say to myself bend it otherwise straight legs always worth a go and good luck

I never heard of that tape. How do you use it and where do you buy it?
It's not a 'what' but a 'how', meaning there is a science to it. There is a similar one known as McConnell taping.

You sometimes see loads of athletes with this on various parts of their body! It's best if it's applied by a suitably trained therapist.

http://www.running-physio.com/kneetape/

@patient 99 this is going to be hard to explain. I will start with one for now. Lie down on your back, stretch your arms to your side with hands, fingers wide apart facing upwards (arms will be resting on bed or whatever) toes slightly curled, gently. Head to one side, tongue touching the back side of your front teeth. Think of something very peaceful and take 4 very deep breaths. Do this 4x/day. This is supposed to be the very opposite of the position the body would be in for fight or flight.
If you ask me for another one I will give you the next one.:) Uh oh am I hijacking a thread? I apologize. I should have gone back and posted that on my thread.
Hopefaith

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ask me for another one

Thank you. Once I've given this exercise a go I will skip over to your thread for the next one. At the very least it sounds relaxing. Carol

This is supposed to be the very opposite of the position the body would be in for fight or flight.

ps: just for the benefit of science I'd like to see if I could have an argument with hubby when I'm in this
position :heehee: It would be a ringing endorsement if I did not succeed. Carol

My physio said you can have 'remembered pain'. That she had a patient who suffered pain when walking but when asked to walk backwards had no problem. It was just that she expected it to hurt,,,so it did! Just need to retrain the brain.
I could have this going on...but my journey to a new knee started with a torn meniscus. That was scoped and fixed in December. I walked normal after that but continuing pain/feeling something wasn't right led to another MRI. I wasn't bone on bone, some arthritis, but more torn meniscus, and dead bone led to the TKR. I was in a bad car wreck in 2004 where that knee was bashed so hard it required several stitches. None of the dr I went to knew for sure if that was the cause of the dead bone or not. I had some pain, but ran around like there was nothing wrong. So with all that said, I remembered pain ... But enough to make me not walk right now, I don't know!

That's a very simplistic explanation, Becky, and one I think the physio figured out for herself! Fact is that when walking backwards, different muscles are used and in different ways. That's why the patient apparently had no problem!

Wow @hopefaith! I love this philosophy! I have been in situations where I have been in fight or flight mood and could do neither. Began with dysfunctional childhood and beyond. Truly a no-win feeling. There are some valid non-traditional therapies out there.
@mudock sorry about the loss of you fur child. Iost my golden in November and was grief stricken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie