TKR Anyone going through Kaiser for TKR?

Nelly

Country
United States United States
I'm trying to be prepared as much as possible for my appt with my surgeon.

I’m going through kaiser. Did you have a question?

to get ready for your appointment write down all the questions you have and bring them with you. Jot some notes as you are speaking to the OS. Finally ask the OS if you have some additional questions after your appointment how can you get the answers. My OS and his PA answered my questions through email. Others may want you to call his office. This way you can get the answers you need. Good luck with your appointment.

CrossFit - I'm wondering about if they use cement for the fittings and do they give you option of being asleep or awake during the surgery.

I am a longtime Kaiser member. I've found over the last years (we've had Kaiser exclusively since 1976-ish) that while Kaiser overall is great, sometimes a doctor or facility won't have exactly what I'm looking for, just like non-Kaiser hospitals. For instance, I love my local Kaiser facility, but needed some plastic surgery some years ago, and I didn't like the surgeons at that location who specialized in my need at the time, so just went to a different facility and found a surgeon I loved. I don't know which city you're in, but if you let me know I might be able to help you. If not, I can at least let you know a few things I've experienced with Kaiser and TKRs.

As for your specific questions about cement and anesthesia, in my experience that varies somewhat from doctor to doctor and maybe even facility to facility. I know overall the facility I use would rather use spinal sedation as they've found it's better for patients than a general, but they let the patient decide which they are more comfortable with. I've always had GA for surgeries, but for my revision the anesthesiologist took a lot of time right before my surgery to explain the differences between, and advantages of, each. I'd always rejected the spinal as I never wanted any possibility of waking, but he explained the spinal and different levels of sedation to me so well that I actually chose a spinal with deep sedation for the revision. And I was so happy I did afterwards! I was out totally for the entire procedure, and woke right up afterwards with zero side effects, unlike every GA I've ever had where I took hours and hours to wake, and then was overly groggy and ill. With the spinal I was clear-headed and wide awake right away and had no nausea or vomiting, plus went to my room right away, whereas with GAs I'd always been in recovery for at least 4 hours, and often longer. If you want to be awake during the procedure (shudder), you also have that option at my facility.

As for the cement, I think that varies with the surgeon, it's something to put on your list of questions for the OS when you see him.

I love I'm Lakewood, California and the surgeon who would be doing my TKR I have heard and read is one of the best. I think the spinal injection would be good for me since every time I've come out of anesthesia I've gotten really sick.

Hi Nelly, sorry for the delayed response. My Kaiser surgeon is using cement and he said I’d have a spinal block, not general anesthesia.

Here's some pre-op reading that may help you, @Nelly :
If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

I’m in Alameda, CA and getting my knee done 12/5 in San Leandro.They are sort of a knee factory, but that’s a good thing. Kaiser is apparently trying to consolidate various types of surgery at various facilities, which seems like a good idea to me.

Hi @Nelly
How are you getting on?

Do you have a date for your surgery yet? If so, please tell us the full date and which knee it is, so we can make a signature for you and add you to the monthly surgery list, so you'll be able to see who your recovery buddies will be. Thank you. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom