BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

Anyone get an ice therapy machine?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by nuttybrunette, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Mutti3

Mutti3 member

United States United States
    Also I forgot to add to the usage instruction. There is a very tiny filter in the cap, that need to me clean periodically. I discovered it about after 4 months of use!

2. Oomworthy

Oomworthy junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I don't know if Cryo Cuff is a newly available product in the UK, but there aren't many available secondhand and even the manual version is quite expensive. I also have a concern that the cuff sizes won't be any use to me and my already large knee - who knows what it'll be like post-op.

My plan is (and has been for a while) to make a wrap with plastic tube stitched through it in a regular pattern and attach it to a bucket with 'ice water' (the alcohol mix recipe) and pump it through manually every so often. If it works I'll share the design on here. It may not be as effective as a Cryo Cuff, but it'll be less hassle to use than ice pack and frozen peas.

3. Mutti3

Mutti3 member

No ice machine given to you in the hospital in the UK? Ice pack and peas seem to be good only for temporary use of cold application. Ice after knee replacement is a 24 hours. I hope you can find a good solution!

4. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I used frozen gel packs that I bought at the chemist's. I had 6, used 2 at a time (one at the front and one at the back of my knee) and kept the other 4 in the freezer, so I always had replacement packs. It was no trouble at all to change them. I found they were cooler than the ice machine they used in hospital and they moulded nicely around my knee as they started to soften.

I still have them and my granddaughters use them when they get bumps and bruises.

5. nuttybrunette

nuttybrunette new member

Agreed! That would be crazy to have to do.

6. nuttybrunette

nuttybrunette new member

@Mutti3 Thank you for the info and pics. I saw that online. It looks perfect. My pre surgery appointment is Thursday-Yikes! Gettin' close!!! I'll ask dr about it. Wonder if insurance pays for that?:))

7. Mutti3

Mutti3 member

I got mine from the hospital. When you go to your presurgical orientation they should be able to tell you. My husband had his first knee done in 2007,no ice machine. By 2014,he had other knee done, was issued an ice machine. You will be just fine! I didn’t panic until the morning of surgery! Now 6 months later, it has been all worth it. And I have no horror stories, nothing but positive outcomes!

• Like Like x 1
  8. nuttybrunette

nuttybrunette new member

Good to hear you had no horror stories. My first knee had some ROM issues, but that was it. I love that knee now! Best part of me:)) I am excited to get this going-but pretty sure I'll freak out morning of, too. LOL

• Like Like x 1
  9. Eeek

Eeek member

Switzerland Switzerland
    @Oomworthy

I have a particularly chunky knee - probably at least 50 cm above the knee and the large cryocuff fits with lots of give. I bet you could put 70 cm of upper thigh in there.

I bought mine on amazon.co.uk, plus shipping and tax and duty to Switzerland (non EU) at least £100, probably more - I paid over 150 Swiss francs for it. So yeah, it is pricey for what it is.

At first I was unimpressed, but I like it a lot. I keep the cannister in the bathroom, which forces me to get up and walk in between icing sessions. I could only get the gravity version, but again, it makes me walk in between.

@nuttybrunette

I have the raising and lowering type and it‘s just fine. I find the cuff stays cold for 40-50 minutes and I just use the occasion to walk to the bathroom and refill.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DLR

DLR new member

Canada Canada
    Thanks for the information exchange. My orthopaedic surgeons office sells icing machines and I am trying to decide whether it is worth the expenses especially as both knee need replacing

11. Mutti3

Mutti3 member

Worth it’s weight in gold. See #19. That is what I used.

• Like Like x 1
  12. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew post-grad

aimages_na.ssl_images_amazon.com_images_I_41Uyvvcwu2L._SX425_.jpg This is the one I used. I like it because it's clear so you can see when it needs water and when the ice bottles need changing.