BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Knee Replacement & Hip Replacement
Patient Advocacy & Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

Anyone get an ice therapy machine?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by nuttybrunette, Apr 8, 2018.

1. nuttybrunette

nuttybrunette new member

United States United States
    Hi all-I'm scheduled for 2nd knee early May. Had other knee replaced 10 years ago. From what I remember, ice was such a big deal to me!! Keeping enough ice packs frozen, ice packs thawing/warming on my knee too quickly, packs that didn't cover enough of my leg-even tho they were large. I remember being really envious of the PT's ice therapy machine I'd use there. So....big question is how many of you get an ice therapy/compression machine instead of dealing with the ice pack thing? Really curious.....please tell....Thanks:flwrysmile:

2. Pumpkln

Pumpkln FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

3. Pumpkln

Welcome to BoneSmart glad you decided to join us!
    Happy to hear you found BoneSmart helpful for your previous TKR in 2008.

I was not provided an Ice Machine, I purchased an ice machine on Amazon. Sometimes you can find them on Craig's list.
    Be sure to ask your OS about ice machines during your pre op visit.

4. Pumpkln

New and returning BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

5. celynda

celynda member

For my initial TKA, the OS ordered a Cryocuff which came to rehab and home from the hospital. It was amazing. Especially, once I learned to use frozen water bottles instead of ice. My revision OS just ordered ice packs.

I used the cryocuff daily at least 3-4 times per day once I was home for the first two weeks. It wa a godsend. I think the slight compression was as comforting as the cold. After two weeks, I switched to bags of peas. Easier to organize and manage the cryocuff is now put away waiting for its next assignment.

Good Luck with the next surgery.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mutti3

Mutti3 member

I had a polar ice machine, used it 24/7 the first few weeks. 4 (16 oz ) frozen bottle. I kept 1 set in the freezer, one set in use. I used pillows for elevation. If I had to do it again, I would order an lounge doctor from amazon. Pillows was a real hassle! Loved the ice machine!

• Like Like x 1
  7. nuttybrunette

nuttybrunette new member

@Mutti3 Thanks, just ordered a lounge doctor! Ya, those pillows all stacked and slipping are no fun.

8. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    If you don't want the pillows to slip, you can pin them together, like this:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I got my cryo-cuff on Ebay and a new cuff from the firm. I was going to resell it on Ebay but left a pair of curling tongs on the top and welded the lid to the base! More rubbish for landfill!

• Like Like x 1
  10. VonnieN

VonnieN junior member

Australia Australia
    after knee arrhroscopies I always used the cryo cuff it was a god send and agree the electric pump was great too.

• Like Like x 1
  11. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew post-grad

I had ice packs for my TKR, and an ice machine after a later surgery. Personally, there is no comparison. Ice packs warm quickly and need constant replacing. The machine, on the other hand, stays cold constantly and needs only an occasional swapping out of the frozen water bottles. It lasts all night long and stays nicely cold the entire time. Ice packs fell off my knee constantly, and only lasted a short time, so I didn't get the benefit of icing at night very much. Given the choice, I'd recommend the machine, and just have a couple of ice packs for times you want to have ice in another area if you don't want to move your machine around. I used ice packs in my car when I had doctor appointments, and the occasional times I sat on my sofa. Generally, I stayed in my bedroom as I had made it my nest and was most comfortable there. I didn't bother to buy a second machine for the living room as I really was most comfortable in my nest and did my resting and sleeping there, when I wasn't walking around.

For my revision, I'll use an ice machine again, but also plan to buy a Polar Ice knee wrap for the times I'm away from my machine and still want/need to ice.

12. lovetocookandsew

For some reason, the link didn't work so here's the info on it. From Amazon.....

Polar Ice Knee Wrap Cold Therapy Wearable Ice Pack Adjustable Hook and Loop Closure
    aimages_na.ssl_images_amazon.com_images_I_61KQ_2B0HHw8L._SY679_.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. lovetocookandsew

I also recommend the Lounge Doctor if it's in your budget. I used pillows for elevating in the past and they are a pain; even pinned. Unpinned they constantly slide off each other, and pinned they constantly tear the fabric from the pressure of a leg moving around. They're better than no elevation, but a single elevating foam made for that express purpose is tons better. Amazon carries those, also.

My husband had also made me a bed cradle to keep the blankets off me as they bothered me if directly on my foot and knee.

• Like Like x 1
  14. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I did the pillow method and didn't pin anything. I just thought of the pillow juggling as part of my PT. :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mutti3

Mutti3 member

Agree with pillows, slided all over the place! When not in use, scattered all over the bedroom. I never used the lounge doctor. I wish I knew in advance , bUt didn’t find BoneSmart until over 3 months post operative. The polar ice machine , is worth it’s weight in gold!

16. NWgirl

NWgirl new member

I bought 2 of the polar ice knee wraps since I’m having BTKR, and the Lounge Doctor. I’m also stocked up on ice packs, but I’ll ask my doctor about an ice machine.

17. Mutti3

Mutti3 member

Ice packs “ warmup “ too fast. I used a polar ice machine 24/7 , and ice packs UNDER the knees Very important! Get 16 oz bottles, freeze , use 4 in the machine, and switch out. I always kept 4 frozen at all times. You have to double this. Elevated, ice, pain medication and sleep every opportunity.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. nuttybrunette

nuttybrunette new member

@Mutti3 From what I read about an ice machine is that you have to manually raise and lower the cooler to get the water to recirculate. Is this what you had? Seems not convenient, tho....

19. Mutti3

Mutti3 member

@nuttybrunette
    I just took a,picture mine. Just put in four frozen bottles of water, fill cold water to the line inside the bucket part. Snap the top on, and make sure all the electrical is connected. You are set to go. I was send home from the hospital with this one. Honestly, my husband too care of all the freeezinf of bottles, and refilling.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. lovetocookandsew

@nuttybrunette They do make some kind of ice "machine" where you have to keep lifting and lowering it, but I never would have used one of those. IMHO, the last thing someone having a TKR wants is to continually do that. I had the kind that you plug in, add 4 frozen water bottles and some water, and it continuously circulated the water by itself. Every so often you change out the water bottles, check the water level, and that's it.