BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Anyone else been alone in recovery?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by NDSunshine, Apr 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NDSunshine

NDSunshine junior member

United States United States
    The nurse tried to make noise when I told her this morning in my pre-op, that yes, I live alone. No, no one is coming to stay, yes I have people I can call, and I live right across the street from the ambulance. The surgery is not stressing me out, THEY are!

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk

2. lennie

lennie member

I had both knees done 9 weeks apart. I live alone, had the forum, and a schedule of friends to help. I had no problems. I was 56 and 57. You can ask on the forum I did great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @NDSunshine Plenty of us were alone during recovery. With the right planning and support on call if you need it you should be fine. What you will need is transportation home after your discharge. Is there someone who can drive you home?

4. NDSunshine

NDSunshine junior member

Yes, I do have that. And is PT mandatory? I asked was it mandatory, and she said they recommend it, but nothing was signed. After my accident, I rehabbed myself. It took a long time, but it worked.

I was even thinking of riding my bike to the hospital, but that wouldn't make sense, bc I couldn't ride it home, lol...I'm tellin ya, they try to make babies out people.

Lennie, that's awesome. I am 58. I will be 59 two weeks after surgery. Next year, big 60, and I will qualify for commodities, lol!!

5. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    The secret to managing at home on your own is prior preparation.
    Read through the posts in this thread and see how other people managed.
    Home Alone After Surgery

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TerryS

TerryS junior member

Just had my final pre-op appt with the surgeon and he asked if I live alone. I told him yes but I have someone who is going to check in on me daily (LOL more like hourly if I know her:rotfl:) and I have made my apartment ready for my post-surgery days. He asked if I wanted to go home afterward or to a rehab facility and I told him home. I will have 2 weeks of in-home therapy and about 3 months as an out-patient. I am so ready to cross over to the other side (at least with 1 new knee, next spring we'll do the other one after back surgery is complete). Surgery is in 5 so I'll see y'all on the other side.:spin:

7. Mutti3

Mutti3 graduate

I know everyone is very different! You are brave!

8. NDSunshine

NDSunshine junior member

Do most people see their surgeon for the final pre-op? I saw his NP today, and I DO NOT like her. She's pushy, and does not listen. Wouldnt let me ask any questions until she finished her "spiel", and by that time, I had forgotten them. Maybe it's the pushy German culture here, but Im rapidly developing a strong distaste for nurses.

She set up 2 post ops for me, and no.

9. lennie

lennie member

Just call the practice and ask for the surgeon’s nurse not the NP. Both of the nurses I’ve worked with (knee replacements and wrist fusion) have been great and I have found that is the best way to talk to them.

10. Mutti3

Mutti3 graduate

I saw my OS in June 2017,for another problem. Told him I wanted the left knee replaced. Set date the before I left the office with the scheduler. Didn’t see OS again until I was in the preop areas he could “sign off “ on my knee. All my instructions came in the mail.

11. NDSunshine

NDSunshine junior member

Lennie, you're right about that. I've talked to her and she's good, and calls back right away.

Just wondering wgo I might be able to see instead of the PA after surgery. Or take someone with me.

12. lennie

lennie member

Take someone the first trip at least. 1. You’ll probably still be on narcotics. 2. Your memory is still nutty at that point

13. ColleenAda

ColleenAda junior member

I personally would have been fine not going back to the doc at all after surgery, BUT, I faithfully went to the first three post op visits, to get xray and to make sure everything is proceeding as hoped for... although I don't have perfect flex and extension, and I'm done w pt( did not do outside pt, only 6 times at home aftercare) he said he'll see me in a year unless I feel I need to see him sooner. So... don't skip those first checkups for the first 12 weeks- good luck ya'll

• Like Like x 1
  14. NDSunshine

NDSunshine junior member

Colleen, definitely not, thanks. And I will do PT at home. She didn't even give me a choice. She sent the PT order to the therapist and they called yesterday, 5 days before I've even had surgery! The nerve. I was supposed to set it up. But I'm doing it at home. And they are expecting full ROM in 12 weeks. I STILL have one bad knee but not a lot of pain. One of the goals is to be able to step up 6-8 inches on a step :O. And squats. Um, no. Lunges, I love. Squats that soon after surgery? Not. Who are these crazy people anyway.

15. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    You know there are a lot of us on here who never did any PT or exercises at all. I was one of them. And we all got really good outcomes afterwards. It really isn't necessary. And no, PT is not mandatory. Every patient has the right to dictate what they will and will not do like that.
    Read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

16. ColleenAda

ColleenAda junior member

Josephine- at the beginning, I read your post about choosing not to do outside pt. It gave me inspiration to control my own destiny. Only at the 12 week checkup did my doc say, you can start easy leg presses now. I feel pretty good about things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.