Watch 2020 JRAD Videos

TKR Anyone able to work while kneeling after their knee replacement?

Ghost Rider

Country
United States United States
As a carpenter I have to kneel down, crawl around a bit getting up and down all day long. If I can't do it and do it quickly I won't work that much. I always have to compete with nepotism and I won't be able to kneel down. Not to mention work is drying up.

Don't get your hopes up. I'm into my 26th post TKR month and can't kneel. Prior to TKR I never gave kneeling a thought but now I can appreciate how often I have to kneel to do things. I hope you fare better.
I'm meeting Dr. Berger for the 1st time July 13th. Based on what I have read he is one of the best possible surgeons I can get. Talking with the person fielding the calls she says the doctor claims after 12 week per knee I will be 100% able to return to work, although his own website says it may take more than a year to kneel.

The assistant says any disability beyond 12/24 weeks is on your primary doctor. I meet with my primary and he said yes but he would have to wait until post surgery 6-12 months to make sure I was unable to preform my job. I understand that from his perspective.

A different doctor Dr. Levi in Chicago area but different hospital. He says NO you can't work on knee replacements you can chip the ceramic covering on the knee. He says he will sign disability papers after the surgery.

I don't believe I will be able to work on my knees post surgery and I want to file the paperwork immediately. I get 12 months of temporary disability and get a few hundred a week but I get my hours for insurance paid, so my wife and I will have insurance for one year post surgery. So if I wait a year to apply the up to 2 years waiting for disability I will be on Cobra costing 2,000 a month and I wasted a year for a miracle so far I haven't found one person that says they can work on their knees.

So I want to refer to the information I found here that nobody is saying they can kneel at all comfortably much less having to do for hours at work. Maybe I'm consumed by anxiety of not knowing how this is going to play out. I am hoping Dr Berger will look at my situation differently. Otherwise I go with Dr Levi but there are issues mostly with the office personnel and more questions I want answered that make me feel uncomfortable. Or find another doctor.

Sorry for my writing I find it difficult to express myself in typed words.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Ghost Rider

Country
I need to know if I will be able to return to work after surgery. Does anyone work on their knees continuously minutes to hours, getting up and down all day.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I need to know if I will be able to return to work after surgery.
Unfortunately, this is something that no one will be able to predict.

Would it be at all possible to do your job sitting on the floor, instead of kneeling?

Do talk to your surgeon, if you can. Sometimes, if you have arthritis at the back of your kneecap, the damaged cartilage will be removed and replaced with a plastic button. That surgery leaves the kneecap itself rather thin, and at risk of being damaged if you kneel too much. That's why some surgeons prefer you not to kneel after surgery.

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I need to know if I will be able to return to work after surgery. Does anyone work on their knees continuously minutes to hours, getting up and down all day.
I know you want to hear from others in the same situation with jobs like yours, that have been able to go back to work again. The problem is no two recoveries are exactly alike; heck, two recoveries on the same person's knees are different. No one can tell you what your recovery will bring; only time can tell you that. However, your doctor can tell you what his limitations for your knee(s) will be, but even if he says you are allowed to kneel and crawl around on your knee(s) at some point, you may still find yourself unable to do so for a long while or even forever. My advice is to find and choose a surgeon, then see what his restrictions are. If he says no chance, then you have your answer and can proceed accordingly. If he says maybe, then you can have contingency plans in case you are unable to kneel and need to find another job, or get your benefits, etc.

Personally, I've never been able to kneel again, even on soft surfaces. There are some who say they can kneel, but that it feels strange. But I've never heard anyone say they can kneel and crawl around all day long after a knee replacement. It's a decision you have to make, so after you finalize your choice for your surgeon, and get his input, you'll have more knowledge and can then make as informed a decision as possible.

sistersinhim

Country
My answer would be that you probably will not be able to work on your knees for hours after a tkr. I can't do it at all and have learned to sit on my bottom to work. Is that something you might be able to do?

Tykey

big-cheese
I can kneel for a short while (say 5 mins) with a cushion on my 9 month old knee. To be honest, it's not that much better on my 10 year old knee. I certainly couldn't do it all day
So sadly, I have to agree with Sisters in him, I think it's unlikely
We often hear outlandish claims and predictions of amazing recoveries, but sadly, not many of them are achieved in practice.

Abbylayla

Country
One of my friends had both knees replaced a few years ago. His job requires kneeling also. He is able to kneel without issues on a pillow

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nancan
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom