BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

Any special shoes or slippers advised?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Pyrite, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Pyrite

Pyrite new member

United States United States
    It just occurred to me out of the blue that the contortions to put on shoes and lace them could be a problem.
    Anyone find this true?
    I have a pair of "slip on" ...sorta... slippers but they are flat bottom with no support for any walking.
    I don't anticipate needing marathon shoes, but do anticipate some painful and slow walking and am wondering if there are any easy-to-put-on shoes/slippers that you guys have found good.

Thanks again for any advice.

2. Mutti3

Mutti3 graduate

I used the “ grip” socks provided by the hospital. Shoes feel “too heavy” and difficult to put on. Walking after a total knee feels more stable than walking bone on bone!

3. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew supremo

I just use the slip-on type slippers around the house and hospital. But, sometimes you need to wear shoes, so I bought a long metal shoehorn. I also bought Lock Laces from Amazon and can just slip into my sneakers without having to tie them. I am 4 1/2 months out and still have trouble putting shoes on so continue to use the shoehorn. Heck, my husband also loves the shoehorn and he doesn't have bad knees at all. I buy the "Chandra" slippers from Target every year or two and really like them. They have sturdy soles, and stay on when I walk. Plus they're lined with fake fur to keep my feet warm. In the summer I go barefoot, but this time of year my floors are too cold for bare feet. I thought about buying actual "Uggs" but found these slippers some years back and really like them so why spend a couple hundred when you can buy these for $20.

BlueCosto 16" Metal Shoe Horn Long Handled Stainless Steel - Chrome Plated

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mutti3

Mutti3 graduate

Ok I will admit, I am from Kentucky, shoes? What’s that! :loll::):rotfl:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. kmak81230

kmak81230 post-grad

Be careful with the slippers - or even the grippy socks, depending on the type of floors you have. You don't want to slide or slip. I wore slip on deck, or boat shoes - the bottoms gripped well and they were easy to put on. Try to find a shoe that is a bit big as your foot/feet are likely to be swollen for awhile.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bionic

Bionic graduate

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I had a hip,replacement but am assuming shoe requirements are the same for both. I used plimsolls. Not sure what you call them in the US but probably canvas sneakers. I had slip on's with a rubber sole. Cheap and cheerful and did the job well.

7. Rockgirl4

Rockgirl4 junior member

What was best for walking on hospital floors? I was thinking of this same topic last night but mostly curious what to take to the hospital. I'm glad someone brought it up. :)

8. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew supremo

I didn't want to use those hospital socks on floors due to all the possible things that could be there. Even though the hospital where I stayed is scrupulous about cleaning, things do get dropped, spilled, etc, and I'd rather not take the chance. So I used my thick rubber soled slippers. I'd say opt for safety and comfort in your choice of footwear. Try walking around your house in different options and see which you like, remembering they need to stay on, be easy to put on and be comfortable. Even though different staff helped me with getting them on and off (I didn't need help really, but they seemed to want to help so I let them) there are still times you'll need or want to do it yourself. I noticed Target has a slipper similar to the Chandra called "Dyanna Moccasin" which has a back for those who like a back to their slippers. I just really like that style of slipper and and the Chandra are really comfy to me.

9. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I took sandals with Velcro straps to the hospital but never wore them. I walked the hall in the gripper socks they gave me. PT must have approved because he never said anything about it.

10. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

I wore a pair of Vans slip-on sneakers to the hospital and used those for walking in the hallway, or to PT. I took a pair that was slightly on the large side, not a snug pair, just in case my feet/legs swelled, and was glad I did. When not wearing my sneaks, I wore the hospital grippy socks. I tend to cold feet so brought along a pair of loose warm sock to wear in bed, with the grippy socks over them. Socks without grippy would be a hazard.

Wear a shoe/slipper/sock that makes you comfy (and is grippy). Better something you're used to wearing than something new and you might end up hating.

Also, I had the long shoehorn and found it handy!

11. cherterr

cherterr junior member

Crocs...but I was already using them pre op. I HAVE to have slip on and outside sturdy all in one. (I know they got a little bad press..butveh..doesnt Everything?! Lol

12. rose1940

rose1940 new member

I just ordered a long shoe horn but what are lace locks how do they work? Thanks for all the advice.

13. beachy

beachy post-grad

I wore slip on sketchers to hospital and used them for hospital pt and to wear home.

14. lovetocookandsew

lovetocookandsew supremo

@rose1940 Lock laces are elastic laces that "lock' in place so you never have to untie or tie your shoes. They are sold in many colors on Amazon.

• Like Like x 1