• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

PKR Any others who had knee cap only replaced?

comesatime

Country
United States United States
Hello. I am new to this forum and wish I had found it prior to my surgery! I had a PKR of the knee cap only on 12/9. I'm just over 4 weeks out. My range of motion gets better each day. I'm at about 115 degrees with the bend and have a bit more to go for complete straightening.

I have to say the toughest thing for me has been dealing with the weather. The rain brings on so much aching in the joint! I haven't taken any opiates since four days after the surgery so I am depending on Tylenol and Extra Strength Excederin. The ice machine was clearly made in heaven as I love that and am still using it every day.

For any others with the knee cap only, what has your experience been?

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi and Welcome!

I also had a Patellofemoral partial. It was much further out from surgery before the weather bothered my knee, and for me it seems to happen the day after any weather!

I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

OP
OP
C

comesatime

Country
Thanks for all of the helpful information! I've been a lot more active than the guidelines suggest but I do know when my knee is telling me no!

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Which knee had the surgery, @comesatime ? If you tell us that, I'll add it to your signature.

OP
OP
C

comesatime

Country
No one out there who did partial knee?

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Lots if us have had partials. Here is a list of threads:

PegLegPeg

Country
I had my second partial (patellofemoral) knee replacement on October 4, 2019. My first (right knee) pkr was on Jan 4, 2019. My first one had its ups and downs, but so far my second one is mostly downs. This may be because I had my medial meniscus repaired during the same surgery, and my recovery was complicated by the inability to bear weight for 6 weeks post op, which was required for the meniscus tear to heal.

Now I'm almost 4 months post op, and I'm pretty bummed by my slow, still swollen and painful, recovery. During this recovery, I antagonized my right knee due to over use/ load bearing on crutches, and developed a compensation injury to a nerve. So the right knee, at one year, also has discomfort.

After the first pkr, at about 6 months, I was very positive the experience had been worth it. The reconstructed compartment on the right is generally pain free and for the first time in 30 years I could (pre-second knee surgery) go up stairs without my old, familiar, bone-on-bone pain. The new discomforts on the right are less bothersome, though more chronic, than my old, acute pain.

The left pkr, which I dove into optimistically, was forewarned to be a different experience, and it has been a much tougher recovery. I've got no idea whether I'm healing normally or not, and need an MRI to determine if this is just a slow, painful recovery or if the meniscus repair failed. I dread the idea of another surgery.

With both knees, it seemed to take FOREVER to be able to (mostly) sleep through the night. At 14 weeks post OP, I'm finally not waking up yelling in pain when I change positions. It was 12 weeks with the first one. A confounding factor is, I am a stomach sleeper and I find myself- in pain- trying to turn over throughout the night.

I'm not sure my pkr experience is particularly relatable, but like you, I wondered if there were any people who had the same surgery and I was hopeful I could share experiences.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@PegLegPeg .... this is a pretty extensive update on your surgery that you posted today. I'm putting a copy of it in your recovery thread so the information will be resident there in case we need it at some point to review your history with this second knee.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
@comesatime ... many people think that a partial knee replacement should be an easier recovery that a total knee replacement, and unfortunately even some surgeons tell their patients that. But it is not what we see with our BoneSmarties. The recovery from a PKR is just about the same for both procedures. So, that means you are very early in the recovery process. Please do take it easy on your new knee and increase your activity gradually. If you experience pain, swelling or stiffness (a form of pain), it's a sign your knee is not quite ready for that level of activity yet. Cut back for a week or so and start again gradually.

I am concerned about you taking both Extra Strength Excedrin and Tylenol. Both have acetaminophen in them and it is very important that you don't go over 4,000mg of acetaminophen in any 24 hour period. Your doses of either one need to be at least 4 hours apart and no more than 1,000mg of acetaminophen at any given time.

Please tell me how you're taking these meds so we can be sure you are safe. When you respond, be sure and tag me so I see your response quickly. To do that, you type the "at" sign (@) followed by my username .... like this .... @Jamie

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

comesatime

Country
Hi @Jamie . Thank you for all of the information. I was definitely taking my doses of pain tylenol and excederin more than 4 hours apart. Yesterday I had my 6 week follow up with my doc and he doesn't need to see me again until my one year out from surgery. I'm still a bit achy at times and yes my knee does tell me when I'm doing too much and I do stop to ice.

I guess what I am interested in is what type of activities have people gone back to after the patella femoral replacement. I am going to be going back to the gym and want to resume pilates and yoga but I'm not sure what kneeling is going to feel like.

Thank you so much for this forum. It was very difficult for me to find information on my procedure so coming across this website I was super psyched.

Jamie

ADMINISTRATOR
Senior Administrator
Country
You should be able to go back to whatever activities you like. Kneeling can feel a bit strange, so it's best to start slowly by kneeling on soft things first....like the bed, then carpet, before moving to hard surfaces. You want to take care of your knee, so try to cushion your kneeling when you can. That should be easier in the gym as you can use their foam pads when needed.

You'll just have to give kneeling a try. I suggest you discuss when you do that with your surgeon. Since you don't see him for quite a while, you could place a call to his office to see if he has any concerns about you kneeling. Even with his okay, I would wait until you are at least 6 months out before starting any serious kneeling. That gives all your soft tissues time to fully heal and strengthen.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
WaterLily
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom