Anxiety

fly2tink

Country
United States United States
I have had several surgeries but this is the first time I am experiencing horrible anxiety. I had first TKR Nov 2012. Infection occurred so had antibiotic spacer in September 2013. Because of many family issues I have but off having spacer removed. I am now scheduled for September 6. I had no more than normal anxiety for any prior surgery. This time I am a mess. Maybe it’s my age almost 76 with stage 3 CKD diabetes. I am financially helping my daughter and grandchildren even though I have limited income. I know I will have to go to rehab as I live alone. I have read as much as I could find and have done all the deep breathing as I can stand. Can’t sleep and unable to even pack for at least two or three weeks in rehab. Don’t know if there is an answer just venting helps. Thanks.

Hi and Welcome to Bonesmart!

I hope it helps somewhat to know that you are not the only one with high anxiety before this surgery, so we understand. Bonesmart is full of caring members all going through the same thing and we will be with you every step of the way.

Did you go to a rehab facility last time? Was it a good experience? Have you visited the one you are planning to go to? I think it helps a bit to see ahead of time where we are going.

@fly2tink ,
You were originally scheduled for your spacer removal and revision on August 16th, now I see you are having surgery on September 6th. Please let us know if your surgery was postponed so we can update your signature. You have been through a lot, anxiety would be the norm for most of us.

I have a pinched ulnar nerve and tendinitis in my left arm. Originally I was going to have arm done and then knee done on August 16th but knew my arm would not have been able to work with walker. So cancelled arm in favor of knee revision. Will get ulnar nerve release done later. Thus, Knee revision on the 6th.

Very thankful for my Xanax though limited along with nsaids because of CKD diabetes and fibromyalgia. I’m a mess.

Thanks for the surgery date, your signature has been updated, glad the Xanax helps.

I went to rehab when I had the spacer put in in 9/13. I had to because my leg was in a cast from groin to and including foot. I had a pic line for vancomycin infusions twice a day. Staph infection from original tkr in 11/12 which I think was caused by a fall on second day at hospital. Broke ankle and had to have two units of blood. What a mess. I was waiting for crime scene tape to go up there was so much blood. I was in nursing home for two months. The staff was pretty good for the most part. Not too much rehab because of cast.

I would go back there but they changed to all private rooms so won’t know until after surgery if they have room. I might call them on Tuesday when I see my surgeon. I don’t have family or friends who drive that are nearby. I daughter is starting a new job on the 9th and is busy selling her house.

Hopefully I will only be there a week or two. Or maybe less. My “good” knee is not good along with sciatica and my long list of other conditions.

Thanks for concern. I’ve learned a lot from this site.
Janet

That’s a lot of experiences with your last replacement. I think that would leave me with some definite anxiety for this next one.

I’m glad you had a good experience at the rehab. Private rooms are great. No annoying roommate with opposite opinions! I hope they have a room for you. Can you reserve one in advance?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member