anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

OK, I made an atempt to keep this private, but I guess this is not the board moderator's perference. I probably need one, or both hips replaced. Other than the usual fear, I have a few others.

I am, what on the surface, is claustorpobia. It seem to be more of a control than a spactial issue. At any rate, I have anxiety attacks when am in situations where I have to "stay still" or I'm in a space that I can't get out of easily. I'm not "nuts", I don't take medication. Heck, maybe I should!

Another issue that concerns, and embarrasses me, is the fear of a urninary catheter. Is this a certainty if I have a MIS hip replacment?

It is hard for me to believe that the pain, etc is not a problem, but these "trivial issues" are so important to me.

HELP!

OK, I made an atempt to keep this private, but I guess this is not the board moderator's perference.

mikey - did I miss a pm from you? I am always happy to answer queries via pm. I am so sorry if you felt I fobbed you off somewhere along the line.

I probably need one, or both hips replaced. Other than the usual fear, I have a few others.

I am, what on the surface, is claustorpobia. It seem to be more of a control than a spactial issue. At any rate, I have anxiety attacks when am in situations where I have to "stay still" or I'm in a space that I can't get out of easily. I'm not "nuts", I don't take medication. Heck, maybe I should!

Believe me, I understand this. I have much the same kind of problems and couldn't have an MRI scan one time because I couldn't/wouldn't tolerate the scanner tube. I have been so bad I couldn't even stand in a supermarket checkout queue because of it.

I suggest you have a serious talk with almost everyone who is looking after you. Your surgeon, the anaesthetist, the nurses - everyone. Labour the point. Make it quite clear that you are claustrophobic and will need help to cope with this procedure.

On the plus side, though you will be having a spinal, there is no need for you to be awake during the op. A sedative can and mostly likely will, be given to render you deeply asleep throughout. To reassure yourself, ask the anaesthetist beforehand and make sure he/she realises you are very serious about this. There should be no problem about taking proactive measures - this condition is actually more common than people think.

Another issue that concerns, and embarrasses me, is the fear of a urninary catheter. Is this a certainty if I have a MIS hip replacment?

Actually, mikey, it's the spinal that dictates not the op. But its been my experience that very few patients have to have a urinary catheter. And the degree of embarrassment you'll find, is mirrored by what you see in your carers. Since they will be very matter of fact about it, I think - should you find yourself in that situation - that your 'embarrassment' level will end up pretty low!

It is hard for me to believe that the pain, etc is not a problem, but these "trivial issues" are so important to me.

HELP!

Of course they are important to you! You are facing one of the biggest events of your life and having to put yourself into the hands of total strangers to boot - that's enough to get anyone stressed out without the additional complication of being claustrophobic.

The only thing I would add is that all the doctors and nurses are used to this, and used to everyone (and I do mean everyone) being anything from anxious to terrified. They know how to help if you let them know how you feel. It's their job, what they have trained for and what they are committed to. Just hang on to that and trust.

My experience

Mikey,
I too had fear about the catheter, and when the nurse came in the room with the catheter, I kindly told her that I preferred that it be put into place while I was sleeping in surgery, which is when it has been placed in previous operations I have undergone. They honored my wish and I watched them cathetize one of my roommates before taking him to surgery and it was not so bad, but then again I am very pain intolerant. I experienced some minor discomfort, but nothing that would warrant concern when it was in place, I think it really helps the body drain the liquids better being inplace. I hadd it removed on the 3rd day after surgery(today) and there was only small discomfort when then took it out, not pain only a little uncommortable sensation. Good luck and try and not to worry about it too much, remember what the end result will bring to your life.
pebitpeb
Paul

Interesting - in all the hospitals I worked in during my career it was standard practice to catheterize in the anaesthetic room after the anaesthetic had been given. And we only did it when there was a clinical need for the fluid output to be monitored. Never heard of it being done in the ward! Perhaps it's a UK thing.

Re: My experience

Thank you for the reply. I am very glad you are doing well. Keep me posted on your progress. Do you know what brand prothesis they used?

Mike

I will ask my surgeon for the name, I know it was a metal piece placed into the large bone with the largest ball/head possible for better movement incased in a metal socket. I will attempt to get the name as I would like to know it also, I am learning the language here and maybe you can imagine with a new language I catch about 50% if I am lucky, this is why my partner stays close by my side when we are going through all these proceedures as I want to stay informed. Have a great day and I be in touch soon.
pebitpeb
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88