THR Anxiety regarding upcoming LTHR

Status
Not open for further replies.

gianni

Country
Ireland Ireland
Hello everyone, I am new to this website. I am due to have LTHR on the 21st of Nov. To be honest I am so anxious.' I can't stop myself from analysing and questioning my decision to go ahead with the procedure.

Gianni
I’m sure the site professionals will reply very soon with some excellent guidance.
I had a THR three weeks ago today, and was apprehensive before it. I knew it was the right thing for me as I wanted my life back, but i was still worried. It’s natural.
I used some mindfulness to get some level of comfort about what was ahead. After a few days, I found a place of acceptance, which allowed me to relax about the upcoming surgery. I’m now 3 weeks post-op and recovering well.

Hi and :welome:
I was pretty taken aback with the diagnosis of endstage OA in both hips at age 53.
I was also so tired of hurting and feeling OLD that I was hopeful that getting my hips replaced would give me my life back.
I was nervous also...but this forum, where people who have been on the same road, was such a help to me.
I'm very happy to be healthy and happy again.
Stick around, we are here to support you :) :-) (:

@gianni Thanks for starting your own thread! We are here to support you on what can seem a very scary journey. But the truth is that the waiting is the worst part. Post op the pain is managed and you will see steady progress.

Keep busy getting your home ready for your recovery. These articles might help:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link: Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Oh boy, I remember that agonizing and second guessing during my first hip replacement!
I also remember the overwhelming relief and gratitude immediately following the actual surgery.

I wish I could give you a glimpse into that, but you will just have to believe.. this surgery will give you your world back, you are probably living in a much smaller world, currently. As in avoiding things that cause pain and exhaustion.
I wish you the very best in the days approaching your surgery date!

Hi Gianni,

Have you watched any surgeries yet? They are available on youtube. Knowledge is power imo.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

Have you watched any surgeries yet? They are available on youtube

I personally did NOT watch any surgeries prior to my surgery.
Nope:umm:
Watched an animation after the procedure that Did give me some great insight into why one should take things slow initially...but for me, I guess...Ignorance was bliss.

I'm with Mojo, I watched the animation, that was enough. I've experienced slaughtering large animals so I've got a handle on what's in there, just don't need to watch it.
@gianni I've had 1 done already and I liked it so much I'm going back for another. Even though I've had one done I'm anxious and nervous about doing it again. The best knowledge you can gain is from this forum regarding the realistic recovery. If you understand and accept the recovery you will be fine. The physical part isn't as hard as the mental part of accepting the rate of recovery and the temporary setbacks.

Thanks a lot Eman85...appreciate your words of advise and encouragement. I'm in a better place mentally tonight than I was earlier this morning, I think I just had a "mini meltdown" but I feel better tonight and I realise there is no going back now. So I will try and focus on the positive.

I was second guessing myself right up until the sedative put me under... Honestly thought about turning around that morning. The surgery and recovery for me were fairly easy, the biggest part was the mental adjustment and that hit me fairly hard about week six... Keep talking and reaching out, I found that was the most helpful for me...

Hello...Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us.
Mini meltdowns are normal. You're not alone in your anxiety and apprenhension. Joint replacement is a commitment and a great majority of us struggle with acceptance finding it difficult to embrace that a part of our body has failed us and needs replacing.

I made peace through tears the night before my surgery. I have a strong faith that I leaned on and prayed for direction throughout the entire process beginning with diagnosis. While in bed on the eve of my surgery I thanked the Lord for 60 years with my natural hip praying for strength, peace and comfort...then fell asleep.

I've typed this message in part previously because many feel the way you do in the days and hours leading up to surgery, sometimes all the way to the surgery site as my BoneSmart bud, dapplega, mentioned above, but you will get through this.

The odds are you'll do well. The great majority do very well and those are the stories you're not reading here because they're back living life again. At times, we simply take a chance in hopes of a better life. No one goes into this surgery without fear, anxiety or reservation. No one wants to lose their natural hip. But it's no longer serving you well. You can allow fear and doubt to rule while suffering discomfort, or you can commit to a procedure that will most likely give you a better quality of life.

Joint replacement surgery is one of the most prevelant surgeries performed worldwide. The outcomes of these surgeries have become excellent based on a number of techniques changing over the years. The implants are durable and long lasting, with longevity much greater than before, offering an increase in the likelihood you'll never have to experience this procedure again.

Ultimately the choice is hours. You can continue to struggle physically and emotionally, or bravely move forward holding a brighter future as your focus.
We'll be here for you all the way offering support and encouragement as you move through recovery. You can do this.

Wishing you comfort and peace of mind as you await Thursday.
@gianni

Watch this for fun. It's inspirational showing a stellar recovery and result.
Not for us mere mortals though :heehee:

One last thing I will add is that you do move along in recovery much more quickly than you imagine while you're still pre-op.

Last edited:
Gianni, nothing to fear. I was more scared and anxious than anyone really. You will do amazing. I cancelled my surgery Sept.8 then I went to see another OS which we scheduled surgery for Nov.5,2019. I am so happy I chose to have surgery. I live in pain constantly and thats no way to live like that. I had a LTHR. I chosed the epidural block for anesthesia. It was the best. I didnt have the weird side effects thats left on your body. I wasnt tired or drowsy. I was actually speaking with the nurse right after my procedure.My surgery was 45 min. long. Dr.Umlas,Marc is the bestest. I love him. God used him in a miraculous manner. He gave me my life back, because I couldnt walk and I was always in pain.Choose a OS that has preformed more than 450 surgeries per year.It was the best decision I have made. Immediately after surgery All My Pain is Gone. This forum BS has been very supportive in all aspects emotiona, physical and spiritual. Please theres is nothing to fear. Go to your surgery with a positive attitude. I will be paying for you. Keep me posted on your progress. You will not regret it. Blessings, Much love Gretelin⚘

Thank you very much for your helpful and supportive words Gretelin, it means a lot. To be honest I have cancelled twice already this year due to nerves and questioning my decision. I am so grateful for your prayers. Many kind regards to you and all who have been so kind since I joined the website.

Hi Gianni x Whereabouts in the world are you ? I'm in Stockport UK. We'll be having our surgeries on the same day so can keep each other company

@gianni we are all scared going into this but I know by the time I actually had my surgery I just wanted that hip out, kept threatening to do it myself! The pain has just taken over my life and knew I had to do something. I had been cancelled on once while sitting in pre-op which was a major let down but luckily got in a few weeks later.

The waiting is really the hardest part right now, your mind is running wild and adding to your fear and anxiety. And when it's all over you kind of go, really, that's it?! I'm not saying it's a cake walk but it is so much better than what we imagine. And the first time you stand and realize that new hip is holding you up is amazing! We're here for you and we'll see you through it.

Thank you so much Elf1...your kind words are appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back