THR Anxiety regarding upcoming LTHR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does your surgeon have a good nurse that they work with?

Have you had conversations with the surgeon or the nurse or PA about your nerves? That's a totally legitimate conversation to call up your surgeon's office about. You can let them reassure you.

It's not uncommon for people to get extremely nervous. I researched the heck out of the surgery, read way too much about various doctors and approaches ... planned things well ... went on leave at my job ... prepared friends and coworkers ... was looking forward to getting through it ... and then ... I think I remember the Thursday before my surgery scheduled for the following Wednesday ... and bang, I was hit by the terror.

It so happened that my surgeon's staffer called me that afternoon. She was mainly giving me last-minute instructions ... But I was sharp enough to go ahead and tell her that I was getting scared. OMG, this staffer (not my surgeon's chief nurse, not my surgeon) this staffer ... was amazing in reassuring me. She talked about how great my surgeon was ... and just something about her tone was comforting ...

It was like her voice, the voice of someone who sounded about 30 years younger than me, brought me back into the world of the surgery, the plans, the arrival, the concrete next steps ... Her words pulled me out of the dreamy, disconnected world of my fears, fears which seemed be floating all around me, pressing against my chest and seemingly filling the air of every breath I was taking.

I remember getting off the phone and just being in a different place. Still with some fear of course, but not with the runaway fear that just paralyzes me.

Well hang in there. Fear is normal. If you've got terror, see if you can call your surgeon and get some reassurance. Also, do you have friends or family you can talk to about this?

Last edited:
And....a really great thing you can do, is talk to other members here.
The folks here on the forum really helped allay my fears about my upcoming surgery.
I liked hearing from those who had been through the same pre-op pain, and the same pre-surgery fears.
I knew they really Knew.
Case in point... Going4Fun's related experience.
We do get it and I was able to replace alot of my anxiousness with excitement to know I was finally going to be rid of all of the pain I had been dealing with and get my life back.
:egypdance:

Wishing you a quick, easy and as pain free a surgery as possible. Hope you're getting some rest tonight, I know it can be hard to sleep sometimes but just try to focus on something mundane and try not to fret. Look forward to seeing you on the healing side, give us an update once you feel up to it. Sleep tight! :sleeep:

Sending healing hugs in advance.
Say bye bye to hip pain!:yes!:

@gianni Thinking of you this morning and sending you calming and positive vibes.
You will do great. See you on the recovery side!

Hello gianni :wave:
Given the current time in Ireland, hopefully surgery is over by now, you are resting comfortably and your pain is well managed. We'd love to read about your experience once you're up to sharing. Until then, wishing you comfort and some restorative rest. Will look forward to hearing from you soon!
@gianni

My pain is dreadful...I think because I take so many painkillers already that my tolerance is really high xx The staff are being amazing. Funnily my knee is hurting so they have iced that for me which has helped a lot and filling me full of oxycodone x Will try and get some sleep x Hope you're feeling ok Gianni xx

Gianni, I prayed for you tell me how are you feeling? I know you had surgery yesterday!!Let us know??

Sorry, Anniec19 sweetheart make sure you ice 24/24 and rest. The ice will take away pain.Praying for a speedy and pain free recovery. Much love
We are hear for you! Let us know how you are doing? Blessings, Gretelin

Glad to see you all on the other side of surgery. I'm closing this thread in the Pre-Op forum and look forward to seeing everyone's progress on their new threads in the Recovery Forum! Let the healing begin.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks