THR Antibiotics post THR 5 yrs later

Myra531

Country
United States United States
I had a THR in 2018 and pre medicate for dental work as per my orthopedist. What do you do for other types of procedures-- dermatologist, etc for minor removals and procedures? My Dr. was unclear.

I consulted my GP, my surgeon and my dentist about taking antibiotics prior to procedures. All said that routine procedures (non-invasive) do not need pre-medication. The over use of antibiotics has created some very nasty bugs. If you are just having minor procedures you should be fine.

I declined antibiotics at my last dental appointment, but my dentist and surgeon are neighbors and my dentist knows my surgeon recommends pretreating with antibiotics. He said next time I will need permission from my surgeon to decline, which I thought was odd. I am going to discuss it with my surgeon at my 6-week visit, but I think the risk of taking unnecessary antibiotics outweighs the risk of joint infection. I am not sure what I will do if my surgeon says he requires it.

ETA: I was only getting my teeth cleaned at that appointment.

I consult with my OS office if I am concerned about any procedures. They are very good at getting back to me if I leave a message. I trusted him to cut me open and forcibly dislocate the hip joint, then pound a spike in it so I figure I'd ask him since he'd know best. I do not want an infection in my hip joint. It sounds even worse than a dislocation and I don't want that either.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks