Antibiotics and Procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

shilohplace

I know one must take antibotics prior to dental cleaning and procedure. Does one need to do the same for procedure like electrolysis or say a Obagi Blue Chemical Peel. Reading my info it does state if you have an infections, cuts ....injury etc. you need to see a Dr. for antibotic due to the fact you can get an infection in the new joint??
Any info would be helpful.. If you have had experience with this.
Thanks lots
Have a great day...:pzld:

Hi, Shilohplace....welcome to the BoneSmart forum. As you can tell if you read some of the threads here regarding antibiotics and dental procedures, there is some difference of opinion on when you take them or even if you should. Some doctors say yes, others no, and some say yes for a specific period of time (2 years most likely). So in the end, you are left to decide for yourself what you feel most comfortable doing. A good number of our members want that peace of mind and will probably take antibiotics forever when getting dental procedures such as tooth extractions, root canals, or cleaning - things where bleeding might occur.

Superficial skin cuts that are not infected should not cause you any worry. And I would think that chemical peels or electrolysis shouldn't be a problem either. You might want to call your surgeon's office and ask to get their opinion.

What Jamie has said is right on the mark. Truth is there is such a plethora of differing opinions and much as we would like all this cut and dried forever, it ain't never going to happen! :wink: So the only thing you can do is ring your doctor if you have something that concerns you.

Just think of the thousands of people out there who've had joint replacements and no-one's ever so much as mentioned the problem ... if there is a problem ... which seems dubious .... :sct:

Thanks to you all. My son age 25 has had a shunt (brain) since age 6. I have always made sure he gets the pre med for dental. Better to be safe.

Obagi blue peel!!! You are a tough one!! I'm not sure why you would do that to yourself but you have got to be tough!! You didn't take pain meds for long did ya?? LOL My fiancé is a cosmotologist and I have seen those... All I can say is better you than me. I am told you can do those and electrolsis without anti's though.

Welcome Shiloh....I found the best source to get a definite answer was my OS's office. I recently had a biopsy procedure done and before that I called that Dr's office to find out if I needed antibiotics. They said no. But I called my OS just to be sure, and he said yes just because a biopsy slice is invasive :shk: and it was better to be safe. I had to take 4 amoxycillin 1 hour before the procedure.

Today is 24 days since my surgery. Yesterday I rode my intone bike for 1 hr. I am doing great. I exercise 2 to 3 times a day at home. 2 days a week at therapy. Go today. I think they will dismiss me cause I am doing so well. I could see lots of muscle loss in my left leg due to my hip so I was hitting the gym to help keep my leg strong before the surgery. I think the exercise plan prior to surg helped me lots. I have a grandbaby due July 22 trip 5 hours away. So I have been training to make that trip..... The Obagi blue peels are tough but... I guess I do ok with pain. Thanks for all you and the replies to my question!! :)

So proud of you, Shiloh....you ARE doing great!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker