THR Antibiotics after THR for dental work

Voltes

Country
United States United States
Hello,

I had THR four years ago. I'm a bit confused about having to take antibiotics for dental work. I have done my research and some websites state you need antibiotics even for cleanings and other websites state the guidelines have changed and no antibiotics are needed.

I'm so happy with my THR, I don't want to run the risk of an infection.

Can someone, please, clarify the current guidelines concerning taking antibiotics after THR?

Thank you so much,

I go by my OS, he says take them and I take them. I have good teeth and go 2x a year for cleanings and inspection and I take the antibiotics.

My OS says take them, so I'll take them, Dr Google be danged.
My doc sees lots of hip patients in lots of circumstances, so he knows from experience. There's no telling where websites get their info.

Ditto. My surgeon says the same and my dentist, who takes a minimalist approach to care, agrees with him. There are enough stories just on this site alone about infection that taking them seems more prudent.

My OS says take them, so I'll take them, Dr Google be danged.
My doc sees lots of hip patients in lots of circumstances, so he knows from experience. There's no telling where websites get their info.
BINGO! We have a winner.

Just had my teeth cleaned a few weeks ago and I was undecided about taking the antibiotics but I did take them.
My dentist said to go by what OS recommends so my next visit to my doctor isn't until end of the month so will ask then.

Hello,

I appreciate all of the feedback. I will continue to take my antibiotics. Better safe than sorry.

My THR was 9/19/2018 on the right side.

Thank you

My very conservative OS tells me to absolutely take them every time I see him! He is adamant about it. I go for cleaning every three months and have been taking them for over 7 years after my first THR. It’s only a one time thing, not a whole course of several days, so I don’t see what the issue is. I’ve never had a problem at all, so I would definitely rather be safe than sorry…..

I'm so glad I saw this today because I had completely forgotten that my Hygienist had told me after my surgery I will need antibiotics for future appointments. I called my surgeon today because my appointment is in a couple of weeks. He called me in an antibiotic and said I need to take 4 pills before any dental appointments for the rest of my life! I'm pretty sure after this first appointment the dentist will call the prescription in.

Hi Voltes-- long before hips, for me, there was Mitral Valve Prolapse, so I was already taking antibiotics at the dentist. Then the ADA and also my cardiologist said the rules had changed and I had no need to take them. Being a cautious chicken-ly sort, I kept taking them anyway... Then there were hips-- and my OS said take them. He also recommends taking them for a list of other mildly-invasive-type ordinary little procedures. I have my yogurt+pills routine down.

I have had all four joints replaced and my OS has said I will be taking them for life. I flipped over my Pilates chair and had stitches in my head - because of the prosthesis I got antibiotics for that too. So it sounds like anytime I could possibly get an infection they are going to give me antibiotics.

I get very sick from taking antibiotics. I'm going to try a different one but I'm only going to take half the dose.
I was vomiting and diarrhea for over 3 hours. I'll take my chances. Yes, they prescribed less and a different medicine, I'm not ready to be SICK again. I have also read where it is not necessary.

My surgeon said that I need antibiotics before anything dental excepting cleanings.

I just had aa Ballon Plasty last week ( 06 Fec 24 ) as well as a Turbinate reduction. Both nostrils. I had to take 4 Amoxy before the procedure, and was on 3 a day for 10 days. I take 4 amoxy before any procedure that could put an unwanted infection in my blood stream.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
rubyedith
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom